Author Topic: No more REHASHES!  (Read 5016 times)

Offline boba-brett

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
No more REHASHES!
« on: March 6, 2003, 09:31 AM »
We do not need more rehashes. We need more original figures. The fan choice idea is good but it only results in one figure a year maybe two. Really they should watch the movies and pick out characters to make instead of "Hey, we haven't made a chewbacca in beach wear yet!"

« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 09:03 PM by JediMAC »

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
Re:do not need more REHASHES!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2003, 04:43 PM »
I agree, where is Poggle the Lessor, Clieg, Owen and beru lars? While I'm glad they make leser known charactes like San Hill and Wat Tambor, how about characters that are actualy IMPORTANT to the movies and not just cool but needles characters? :o
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: do not need more REHASHES!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2003, 12:40 PM »
I agree.  Why do we need several different sculpts of Mace Windu?  He's gotta be in first place as the worst-selling Hasbro figure ever made.  There are TONS of them still filling the pegs out here (of course they're not the samurai version of him with slashing lightsaber action feature).  Hasbro definitely needs to make other figures that have never been done.

If they (Hasbro) only listened to the die-hard Star Wars collectors, then they would be selling a much better product.
dustrho

Offline SWcollectorDUDE

• Youngling
  • Http://allsith.com
    • View Profile
OTC
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 06:38 PM »
I was thinking with the OTC line it really makes me angry.  I mean some of these figures we just got and are just showing p on the shelves and they're already re=producing?  This is just my thought but I think if they are going to make an otc line at least make more new figs then 3 or 4.

Offline Podracing Fan

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 04:06 PM »
I totally agree, I was going to post this in a separate post but I will do it in this one. Ever since I saw the podracing scene in EP1 I have been really liked the podracers. I own both racer games and have all five podracing figures. I do want more podracing figures because I believe they are some of the best and most interesting aliens in Star Wars. I was what made EP1 stand out.
Heres what I thought they could do with the remaining Pod Racers.
release Mawhonic, Ben Quadrinaros, Mars Guo and Cliegg Holdfast as singles cos they will sell well cos they were on screen.
They could release Dud Bolt and Elan Mak as a two pack because they are smaller.
The rest can be released as a set.
I think this is the most realistic way they could do it.
Matt

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2004, 03:50 AM »
I agree no more rehashes
But unfortunately they need to make these.
It will be for kids coming into the game late, maybe a kid sees ep3 and thinks cool i'd really like an anakin and obiwan , now they've been done to death but for the new kid it's their first figure.
So it doesn't make sense for them not to keep doing rehashes from the company viewpoint.
I know we all want them to stop putting out the same figs on different cards but when the vintage figs were released on the different cards i'm sure the people that were collecting then weren't complaining as much as we are now.Maybe it has to do with us being spoilt over time and behaving like spoilt little kids.
We winge and complain when we don't get what we want, i mean how many of us wanted the shuttle released and when it came out i heard it didn't sell as well as hoped.
Lets face it hasbro has been good to us with the figures that have been released from 95 onwards, i agree we don't need recards but i'm thankfull for what we have.
And besides no one is making us buy them.

The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Encrypt3dByt3s

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • The Star Wars Collector's Marketplace
« Reply #6 on: July 6, 2004, 01:01 PM »
I'm more into the POTF2 stuff so it doesn't affect me so much, but ReHashbro's recent (lack of) efforts are pretty pathetic.  Who wants to buy a line of figures where 90% of them are rehashed stuff from previous lines?  Sure, the packaging looks real nice, but c'mon!

If they really want to rehash something, I'd like to see them rehash the original 12 in a multipack.  Now that'd be cool.
~ Encrypt3dByt3s
Buy, Sell, and Trade your Star Wars items at the Star Wars Collector's Marketplace.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 12:23 PM »
That was what made POTJ great--it was mostly background aliens and bit players. In future, Hasbro should make one or two definitive sculpts of core characters and recard them endlessly in a perpetual Hall of Fame assortment. How many new versions of Cantina Han and Arena Mace do we need anyway? Just pick one version and recard it forever.

In principle, I'm not against repacks, as long as they're chosen well. In fact I'd be perfectly content if 2006 or 07 was 75% repacks of hard-to-find figures. I'd happily buy into an OTC style line with deeper range and good distribution (I would have bought a lot of OTC but most were very hard to find in my area and I'm not going to pay $10 apiece online).

Suggestions:

Qui-Gon and Eopie
Holo Sidious
Regular Sidious
the astromechs from Amidala's starship
AAT Tank
Spitting Jabba
SA Clone Trooper (let's face it, they could crank these out by the hundreds of thousand and it'd never become a pegwarmer)
Red ARC Trooper
Hailfire droid
Movie-style Asajj Ventress
POTJ Security battledroid
Sebulba
SOTE Xizor
Coleman Trebor
McQuarrie concept stormtrooper
Ephant Mon
CW Animated Yoda and Dooku
POTJ Sandtrooper with four variant shoulder pauldrons
And whatever ROTS figures end up being rare (like the later waves)
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline bobafett1121

• Youngling
  • Boba Fett Rules!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 09:34 AM »
An even better Idea is for hasbro to restart the EU figure collection. there are even more cooler characters in the games, books, and comics.
Boba Fett Rules!!!!!!

Offline TT8L

• Youngling
  • subtle hint...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 04:42 AM »
I don't know how well an EU line would fly right now.  My big gripe about EU is that it's a world apart from the films in large part and why should we get figures from EU when we haven't even satisfied the demand for figures from the films.

Another note... kids aren't the only ones coming into the game late. I haven't been collecting SW for very and it's nice to not have to rely on ebay for everything... besides, rehashes are fine if they get a little better every time.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2005, 02:44 AM by TT8L »

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
  • Amy Allen... priceless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 3, 2005, 02:52 PM »
I am so glad there is a thread for this!  Has anyone seen the R2 on Mustafar?  It is the exact same figure, except this one makes noises.  Big deal!  Hasbro has been doing this for years.  Don't get me wrong, i like them, but sometimes they are kind of silly.  For instance, what was really the diffrence with the 2 Yodas from ROTS?  A firing cannon?!  That wasn't even in the movie.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 5, 2005, 08:17 PM »
I am so glad there is a thread for this!  Has anyone seen the R2 on Mustafar?  It is the exact same figure, except this one makes noises.  Big deal!  Hasbro has been doing this for years.  Don't get me wrong, i like them, but sometimes they are kind of silly.  For instance, what was really the diffrence with the 2 Yodas from ROTS?  A firing cannon?!  That wasn't even in the movie.

Personally, I'm okay with multiple main characters with different action features and slightly different sculpts. That's just the way the modern line is. Let's face it, the days of there only being ONE Darth Vader, ONE Tatooine Luke, etc... like with the vintage line are LONG GONE. If the figure is different from any previous release then I do not consider it a rehash - it is a re-interpretation of the character in plastic.

I think the R2-D2 on Mustafar is a REHASH of the AOTC Saga Version, but I haven't really been able to compare the two figures to be 100% sure.

I think that in order to survive, the line will need rehashes to keep people who might be new to collecting Star Wars coming to the line. If you think back to the vintage line, while the vintage line didn't have multiple versions of say Tatooine Luke or Darth Vader, both characters were shipped on the cardbacks for all three movies. Being a kid at the time, I really only needed to buy a character again if I had broken one during play, otherwise, the first one I got was the only one.

Now that I'm an adult and I want a complete MOC collection, I think differently than when I was a kid and I turn around and buy the OTC release of the Endor Generals even though less than six months earlier I had just gotten them on Saga cards. It's all a matter of how you view collecting and what's important to your collection.

Sure, now, I view the multiple releases as pain to the wallet, but I could also stop at any time, no one forces me to collect SW toys.

I do like Valin's idea that the 2006/2007 lines should be sprinkled with re-releases of hard-to-find items - I definitely think that a Qui-Gon w/Eopie would be a welcome re-release. So would many of the other items on his list. I think if they return to the black card style then re-hashing figures with a few new or slightly altered figures thrown in every other wave will help keep the line going and encourage new people who were drawn to Star Wars by ROTS to continue collecting once the line turns its focus to the entire saga.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
  • Amy Allen... priceless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 7, 2005, 12:02 AM »
Good points Pete_Fett.  The card thing is true.  I think what I'll basically do is just get the ones I really like, since I have this Master Replica addiction.   ;)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 09:57 AM »
Depends.

I'll take rehashes of clones in different colors!

And you can rehash the VOTC stormie like you did in the Evo set as many times as you want... :P

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2005, 11:29 AM »
I really liked that the vintage line had a set figure per character and there was a consistent look to all of the figures.  I don't mind rehashes because I'm no longer a completetist.  I do like to have several trooper figures, so if Hasbro rehashes/redecos the VOTC Stormtrooper (like in the Evolutions pack) then I will definitely buy as many as I can.  The same thing goes for the SA Clonetroopers.  As long as the figure is well detailed and has lots of articulation and (if needed) softgoods, I will continue to buy rehashes and I'm sure they would sell well.  I have no problem with Hasbro repainting R4-G9 in different astromech color schemes and selling the hell outta him; I'd buy loads of that figure. 
The point of rehashes for kids/new collectors is pretty important as well.  What would be the point of getting into collecting if you were unable to buy a Vader figure?  If hasbro rehashes crappy old figures, I'm sure they wouldn't sell very well, but if hasbro releases the newer, more detailed, better articulated figures, I'm sure they will sell well for years to come.
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.