Author Topic: Cloned Out?  (Read 11867 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Cloned Out?
« Reply #15 on: January 8, 2007, 10:10 PM »
I'm definitely eager to get some of the ROTS Clone Troopers that are in the pipeline.  The 41st Elite Trooper, Galactic Marine, Commander Appo, Airborne Trooper and the SA 501st Clone are some of the ones that I'm happy to see coming our way. 

But I think at some point that the Clone Trooper thing might have jumped the shark.  Perhaps it was the ROTS DVD 3-pack with the Clones that have the same paint scheme as the upcoming Clone Engineers?  Sure, I bought a few of the 5th Fleet Security and 44nd Siege Battalion clones, but I'm not enjoying those as much as the movie based Clones.  Perhaps that same sentiment is why the AOTC Clone Sergeant seems to be selling better than the 2 ROTS Clones in that same assortment?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 9, 2007, 09:26 AM »
I certainly cloned out. After Comic con's announcement of the final 22, I went through and re-thought my collection and wound up trading off a bunch of clones. I'm certainly picking up less of ROTS clones now.

Thankfully, it seems like there's going to be little else to do after the first wave of '07.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 11:15 PM »
I'm ot cloned out cuase I've barely found any!
A good Gree, SA ARC trooper, Omega Squad & some generic RCs & I'm clone out. Bring on the droids & rebels!
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Kit

• Jedi Initiate
  • "I want more clones and I know I shouldn't."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 02:55 AM »
Being an army builder, I am all for cloning. But only when it comes down to the right clones.  I went to town with the super articulated shocktroopers and the exclusive EE army builder clone troopers. 

With the 442nd Siege Battalion clone and the Fifth Fleet Security clone, I only bought 2 of each; one to crack open and one for my boxed collection.  They look cool in my collection, but I cannot justify myself buying 10 or more of each since I couldn't see them on the big screen.

At the same time, the repaints are coming at a good time.  I definitely need to reload the ammo in the wallet since the clones next year are looking pretty damn good. :)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 08:55 AM »
I kind of went a little nuts after all my claims of, "I'll never army build!" with the Utapau Clone (21 total).  That said, I am kind of getting a little burned out on Clones, especially since all the film-based Clones have been made, and from the looks of things, even the non-film Clones based on concept art have been made with two exceptions (Commander Faie and the Red Dot Clone Trooper that previously appeared in the ROTS deluxe three packs).  I'm not as apathetic about the 5th Fleet/442nd Cato Neimoidia Clones as some are, since they're based on concept art, but with the release of Neyo, the Marine, and the Airborne Trooper, I do think it's time to give the Clones a bit of a rest in the regular, non-Legends, line.

I'm much more excited about the RH Stormtrooper and the Death Star Trooper in the basic line right now.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 09:26 AM »
It's kind of easier to get cloned out with the ROTS clones because there are so many varieties. Think about it. For the entire OT, you have one set of villians, 11-14 different styles, for AOTC, just one basic trooper, but for ROTS, including the EU stuff, there's about 20 different ones. That's hard core.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2007, 02:22 PM »
I'm cloned out - at least with Prequel clones.

OT Stuff is still great, but a ROTS clone is going to have to be something special to get me buying lots and lots.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 09:12 AM »
That's how I feel as well.  Bring on the OT stuff - I always enjoy more troops from that era.  Also, I'm really looking forward to the BARC/Elite Corps Trooper, the 501st, the Galactic Marines, and now the Saleucami battle pack, but beyond that I might be all stocked up on the clones I want/need from now on.  You never know what'll be out beyond that, but after these next couple waves, I'll be pretty happy with my clone lineup for a bit.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2007, 12:34 PM »
I agree, I don't "need" non-film clones either Brian!

What about the upcoming TV series?  What if they come up with a whole new group of clones paint schemes?  Or even another type of helmet for the basic grunts?  I truly hope they keep the helmet in the ROTS design... what do you guys think they'll do?  I'm "hoping" they go all white.

;)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2007, 03:15 PM »
I agree, I don't "need" non-film clones either Brian!

What about the upcoming TV series?  What if they come up with a whole new group of clones paint schemes?  Or even another type of helmet for the basic grunts?  I truly hope they keep the helmet in the ROTS design... what do you guys think they'll do?  I'm "hoping" they go all white.

;)

I think if there is a new army in the TV series and I like the series, I'd probably buy them.

Right now for me the only difference between the 30 Galactic Marines I am going to buy and the 0 5th Fleet Security Clones and 0 442nd Cato Neimodia Attack clones that I've bought is 15 seconds of screen time.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2007, 04:08 PM »
throw a clone on me and ill buy it..on one condition...i can find another one so they can atleast be set up together on my shelf :)
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline DarthAcroyear

• Jedi Initiate
  • TI - 568, D. Acroyear, Callsign "Spartan"
    • View Profile
    • Acro's Lair
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2007, 10:35 PM »
No, I'm not even close to "Cloned Out" yet. :) Heck, I'm even working on a set of Clone armor for myself. ::)
TI-568, D. Acroyear, Callsign "Spartan"
Bloodfin Garrison,
Omega Wing Squadron

"I aim to misbehave."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2007, 04:16 PM »
ROTS brought us the rainbow and all the colors it makes possible.  I'm ok with the deco on Kashyyk (spelling, sorry) it kinda made sense.  But what world required purple clones?  Not saying they look bad, not saying I don't own them, but why?  Did different regiments in WWII have different uniforms or were they simply different battalions, armies or whatever?  Dunno, but I can't help but think someone at Lucasfilm was meeting with the marketing folks and saying no, we'll give the commanders or whatever different helmets AND we'll give the different units different color markings.  THAT!!1! will give us a tool for marketing.  No easy customs, lots of variety AND hey, hey, this is cool...let's make two different sculpts, one basic, one SA and the geeks will clamour for both versions.  Yeah, that's the ticket. 

I was just re-arranging (trying to fit them all) the various clones in my prequel display last week, and now sitting back and looking at it, the colors are a little bit crazy.  We've discussed it before on here - some of them look kind of cool, and many of us pick up the various colors anyways, but this really does look like a marketing ploy.  In a way, seeing all the clones lined up next to each other, it does start to look like a rainbow - and in some ways, almost too "bright and cheery" for an army :P.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 04:16 PM by Brian »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2007, 05:28 PM »
ROYGBIV
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2007, 07:54 PM »
This is my last big year for army building. I'll get the 501st clone, the AOTC white clones (with a scant few officers to lead them), and the Grey commander of which I'll make grunts as well, providing there is an extra belt in the package to make him (or I'll be forced to customize and I'd rather avoid that).

After this my desire for Prequel troopers will be pretyy much done. I still want some more Stormtroopers, and some other OT troops, but not many of those. So 2007 is it for me for army building. Since AB takes up a large chunk of my SW budget, 2008 is going to look really slim for collecting, but conversely good on the bank account. I'm thinking it will shrink to about 10-20% of what I spend now per year. Which will still seem like a lot to some, but for me it's a huge drop.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010