Author Topic: The DS Thread  (Read 18954 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: The DS Thread
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2008, 10:33 AM »
It looks like it will be interesting to try.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2008, 12:26 AM »
Nintendo announces Nintendo DSi

Nintendo's Media Summit has just thrown us its first juicy bone of the night, and it's a big one. As was previously rumored, Satoru Iwata has revealed the Nintendo DSi, the direct successor to the DS Lite which comes absolutely jam-packed with new features and trinkets, including two cameras, music playback functions, expanded screens, an SD card slot, and a whole new, DS-specific download service. Hit the break for the full list of improvements and adjustments, as well as the Japanese launch date and price!

# Overall size has been reduced -- DSi is 12% or 2.6 millimeters slimmer than the Lite.

# Comes with an external 0.3 Megapixel camera (for 640 x 480 pixel pictures) and a VGA camera located on the hinge, directed towards the user. You'll be able to edit pictures using the touchscreen.

# Full music playback functionality, including adjustable pitch and playback speed.

# Both screens have been expanded to 3.25 inches.

# SD memory card slot is included, and there'll be on-board memory also.

# Will ship with an built-in Nintendo DS web browser.

# DSi will allow users to download games from DSWare, a new service that operates with Wii Points -- or, as they are now known, Nintendo Points.

# Logging onto DSWare for the first time will grant users 1,000 free Nintendo Points.

# DSWare comes in four pricing categories: free (!), 200 Nintendo Points, 500 Nintendo Points, and 800 Nintendo Points.

# Will come in lovely matte white and matte black. Begone, foul fingerprints that have taunted us so!

# And finally, it launches on November 1st in Japan, and will cost ¥18,900, or roughly $179. Check out the official site at the "Source" link below!

I still play my DS Lite all the time, and I'm a sucker for new stuff, so count me in for a Matte Black DSi!
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2008, 08:33 AM »
I want to upgrade but i have a gold Zelda DS lite so even if i buy this I will be keeping that one.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2008, 09:34 PM »
Oh I am so all over this one!!
I aint upgrading the kids ones though :)
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2008, 06:29 PM »
I have the original DS, so it's about time to upgrade... this will be a good time to do it. :)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2008, 04:13 PM »
Hurry and preorder your imported black or white DSi from PlayAsia for the low, low price of $299.

Or, if a Japanese import is too expensive, perhaps you'd rather wait until at least April 2009 when Nintendo will launch the DSi for the North American market.

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2009, 10:18 PM »
Rumor: Nintendo DSi coming to US on April 4 at $179

I hope this is true.  My DS Lite had "an incident" some weeks back, and rather than replace it with another DS Lite, I was hoping I could wait it out until the DSi came out.  April 4 is less than three months away.  I think I can wait that long.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:18 PM by Matt »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2009, 02:03 PM »
Rumor: Nintendo DSi coming to US on April 4 at $179

Both the date and the price were wrong.  You suck, dude.

Nintendo DSi launches April 5 in the United States ($169.99)

2009-02-18

Nintendo pioneered hand-held entertainment in the ’80s and made it fully mobile with the Game Boy video game system. Now, Nintendo is transforming the way people access, experience, create and share content with the new Nintendo DSi system, the third iteration of the world’s best-selling portable video game system. Nintendo DSi launches in the United States on April 5, 2009, at an MSRP of $169.99. The colors available at launch will be Blue and Black.

"Ever since the arrival of the first Game Boy, consumers worldwide have turned to Nintendo for their portable gaming," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Nintendo DSi builds on Nintendo’s commitment to bringing fun and creative entertainment to everyone, and will allow consumers to personalize and share their very own experiences.”

Some features that will be built into the system and ready to enjoy upon purchase include the Nintendo DSi Camera, Nintendo DSi Sound and Nintendo DSi Shop. The most noticeable feature of the slim Nintendo DSi system is its two cameras – one camera is on the external body, and the second one points at the user when the device is flipped open. As the first truly interactive digital camera in a video game system with 10 different interactive “lenses” that can manipulate your photos, the Nintendo DSi Camera offers an easy way to take and share your photos with family and friends. The cameras also present people with unprecedented ways to interact with their games while giving developers a new tool to devise creative games and experiences. If the touch screen gave Nintendo DS a sense of feel and the microphone allowed it to hear, the two cameras give Nintendo DSi the sense of sight.

Another enhanced feature is the Nintendo DSi Sound application, which serves as both an interactive voice recorder and music player that allows users to play with their music while they listen to it. Users can access different audio filters or control the pitch and speed of recorded voice or music files to alter voices or change the tempo of a song. The mic is located between the two screens when the device is flipped open, and there is also a stereo headphone output that lets users listen to music saved on an SD card, even with the screen shut.

In the world of software, Nintendo DSi will be the platform for the most relevant and fun on-the-go games and applications. The Nintendo DSiWare application will populate Nintendo DSi with software that can be downloaded using Nintendo DSi Points directly to the portable system, just as WiiWare has with Nintendo’s Wii console. Developers big and small are invited to create software that makes use of the properties and functions of the hardware. Nintendo DSiWare games and applications will be available at a range of values, starting at 200 points.

In addition to downloadable games, Nintendo DSi is able to play games made specifically for the system and sold at retail. The system can also play most Nintendo DS™ games, and will have access to a library of more than 850 titles originally made for that system.

Also on April 5, a new Nintendo DS game, Rhythm Heaven, will join this roster of games available for both Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DS owners in the United States. Having sold more than 1.6 million copies since its July 2008 launch in Japan and still increasing sales today, this infectious game challenges players to tap and slide the stylus on the touch screen in time to original music created by legendary Japanese pop-star producer TSUNKU♂. Simple gestures with the stylus combined with fun music and quirky visuals make Rhythm Heaven a completely unique musical experience for players of all ages.

Additional features and news of Nintendo DSi will be revealed as April 5 approaches. For more information about Nintendo DSi, visit www.nintendodsi.com.

I'm in.  Tentatively.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2010, 10:37 PM »
There's a 3D DS coming out.  (Guess what it's officially called.)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Olde Nintendo
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2010, 01:09 AM »
Nintendo is showing off their new Nintendo 3DS. This is basically a Nintendo DS with a 3D (no glasses) wide upper screen.

Nintendo 3DS in the flesh and hands-on! (updated with video!)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2010, 09:28 AM »
So now Nintendo has the DS, DSi, DSiXL and 3DS. I wonder if which of these they will drop?

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2010, 10:02 AM »
I must be getting old, but I played around with one of these last week (not sure which version) and just couldn't figure the thing out.  Didn't even know there was a stylus or where to find it.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2010, 12:04 PM »
I hear it'll have 3D versions of Starfox 64 and Ocarina of Time. That alone sells me a copy.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2010, 11:00 PM »
I hear it'll have 3D versions of Ocarina of Time. That alone sells me a copy.

I'm in!
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2011, 02:36 PM »
3DS in North America: March 27 for $249.99

Too many pictures of the 3DS and its built-in software

Nintendo's 3DS Software Arsenal

Launch titles are unknown, but the Japanese launch titles (for February 26th):

Nintendogs + Cats
Super Street Fighter IV 3D
Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle
Winning Eleven 3D
Ridge Racer 3D
Samurai Warriors Chronicles
Bust-a-Move 3D
Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D

Other upcoming titles:
Spring notables: Zelda OoT remake, Pilotwings, Kid Icarus, Resident Evil, Super Monkey Ball

Pretty pricey for a handheld. . .