Author Topic: Typical Lego Prices?  (Read 6691 times)

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Typical Lego Prices?
« on: January 11, 2007, 10:33 AM »
What's the typical Lego Price?

I have bought certain sets for my son over the years but for a 58 piece set 9.98- recently?? Last night I got that price for the new SW clone trooper set :o. Not many legos with 4 mini-figs-was thinking 7.98 or 5 something. Am I overreacting on this...is this a normal price for a set that size? Or has price increases for SW moved over to Lego as well?

DS

Offline madoka

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Typical Lego Prices?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 08:47 PM »
Well, I guess at some point someone is going to break the news to you.  The Clone Battle Pack you found is considered CHEAP.  In fact, it's so cheap that it is backordered on Lego.com for several months and disappear off shelves in minutes.  Prior to this set coming out, an average clone minifig went for about $8 EACH.  So getting four in one $10 set has been a godsend for most people.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 09:04 AM »
Slothus, I think the main reason the Battle Droid and Clone sets are at a 10 dollar price point has more to do with the figures than the piece count.  I don't know if Lego counts the figures themselves as pieces, but the emphasis on these seems to be more on the figures and less on the building.  I get the impression that the building pieces are simply in there to avoid having Hasbro bitch and moan about Lego competing by making minifigure sets available without vehicles.

Usually the way I've looked at the sets themselves (although there are and have been exceptions to this) is a set costs 10 dollars for every 100 or so pieces.  Sometimes less, sometimes more (the Wheel Bike and Boga set was one that seemed to be priced on size and not piece count to me), but that seems to hold true for the line across the board for the most part.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: February 8, 2007, 04:25 AM »
Legos are definitely high-priced Jon...  They're not cheap.  The good thing is they have semi-frequent sales.  I think the mark-up on them (from what I've gathered) is significant, even for a toy where mark-ups sometimes are pretty high.  I think the price you saw was really quite decent, haha.

Legos though, you're also paying for quality.  For what they are, Legos are an outstandingly durable toy that you don't see the same quality flaws with as you will see in the Hasbro line and whatnot.  Legos made decades ago are as good today as the day they were bought without the issues you see like yellowing and whatnot.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 02:55 AM »
Just looked at the Brian's toys catalog and the prices on the first couple of sets are outrageous.hear are some examples of the "what the hell, dint i pay five bucks for this stuff a few years ago" prices.

Figure set #1 Emperor,Maul,and Vader  $149.99
              #2 Han,Fett,and Jedi Luke    $69.99
              #3 Scout x2 and Chewbacca $69.99
              #4 Battle droids                  $69.99

Mini sets Millennium Falcon $49.99
             Shuttle             $49.99
 E6 Ewok attack              $99.99

man am i glad i kept a set sealed when i let my wife open all of hers...
He's no good to me open

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 05:35 PM »
Yup...LEGO is the way to go if you're in this hobby to make money.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 02:30 AM »
Yup...LEGO is the way to go if you're in this hobby to make money.
Are you directing that at me...
He's no good to me open

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 07:31 AM »
Generally, Lego set prices are around standard prices based on number of pieces, at least for Star Wars sets.  Usually the cost is $1 per ten Legos in the set, so a 1,000 piece set is usually around $100.  The smaller sets are a bit more than that price, but I chalk that up to packaging and such.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 09:36 AM »
Generally, Lego set prices are around standard prices based on number of pieces, at least for Star Wars sets.  Usually the cost is $1 per ten Legos in the set, so a 1,000 piece set is usually around $100.  The smaller sets are a bit more than that price, but I chalk that up to packaging and such.

I agree with the more, or less, $0.10/piece price point, but I think Lego puts a premium on mini-figures, which are usually a large proportion of the whole set in smaller sets (I'm thinking the troop builder sets etc where there are four or five figures, compared to the larger sets which have similar counts of figures, but much larger numbers of other pieces).

But maybe that's only logical to me because the minifigs have such a ridiculus premium on eBay....
I am not the Stig

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 08:43 PM »
Are you directing that at me...

No - just making a general statement.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN