Author Topic: Awesome read on yellowing plastics  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
Awesome read on yellowing plastics
« on: January 14, 2007, 05:11 PM »
I read an article on plastics from a design related forum.  It focused on SNES system cases and older Macintosh computers, but some of the points uncovered by the author relate to vintage Stormtroopers and vehicles.

This goes way beyond simple answers like UV and tobacco.  Check it out, and if this needs merged with another thread that's cool.  I tried a search but didn't see anywhere that seemed like a good place to add this.

http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/189
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Awesome read on yellowing plastics
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 05:53 PM »
Interesting read Deanpaul, I have an SNES console that has the same yellowing as with the odd SW figures, I worked on a Stormtrooper a few years ago *cough*Plasti-Dip*cough* with no results. Remember the good old days Scott!  :D  ;D

More for the consoles, I wouldn't recommend sandpapering, painting, acetoneing etc your figures/vehicles. Discoloration is there for life & nothing you can do about it.  :-\

Some interseting reads over at RS, worth checking out.

Discoloration - a.k.a. "prototypes and variations"

Yellowing of Luke Stormtrooper - why?

The old thread at RS on the Tool Dip experiment is sadly gone but GH has a thread.

old yellow bubbles... clear again?

Originally posted by augiebendoggi:
I just picture DJS and membraneman lying face down in the basement, blanked-out grins on their faces, next to open jars of Plasti-Dip...
Classic!  :-X  ;D

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 5, 2008, 09:08 AM »
Well, been awhile on this subject. I was reading a thread over at the vinty section on RS about the removal of the yellowing on figures. This was a interesting read & from what I have read & seen in the direct threads that I will post below is very interesting.

Topic: yellowing treatment

Yellowing problems this might help..

Hey Scott! Any comments on this treatment/method?

Originally posted by augiebendoggi:
I just picture DJS and membraneman lying face down in the basement, blanked-out grins on their faces, next to open jars of Plasti-Dip...

Them were the days.  ;D

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 5, 2009, 03:25 PM »
The yellowing on vehicles thread got me thinking and looking at my carded Luke Stormtrooper from the POTF days.  I don't think the actual figure is yellowing but the darn bubble is.  Ticks me off a little bit.  It still looks cool on display and everything but just the fact that there is now yellowing on it sucks a bit.  It's the first think I happen to notice about it now.