Author Topic: 30AC "Vintage" Wave  (Read 139286 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 30AC "Vintage" Wave
« Reply #390 on: May 17, 2007, 01:28 AM »
What I do Blackwolf, is if I'm feeling free with my time I ask a stocker if he'll pull something, though usually I hit up a woman from another department.  I don't know why but it usually works better...  A woman working women's clothing or something.  Men, or boys, tend to be less helpful...  Younger guys will help more than older guys though.  And avoid anyone that looks like he might know something about SW figures at all.  There's a guy at a local Target in Pitt that when I asked for some help he started talking to a younger stocker and said how SW figures earn him tons on Ebay and how he would get me this thing this ONE time, but that he wouldn't in the future, and he blatantly admitted to pilferring things to resell and wanted me to tell him what was rare.  I lied and told him something that wasn't, was, and hopefully he bit into that.

Anyway, sometimes I get turned down by a floor worker...  It happens.  As a last resort I then go to the Customer Service counter.  Their training usually differs, and they're more atuned to helping out.  At that point it either works or it doesn't.  I tend to embelish a little, say it's for a kid, I called earlier and was told to just come down, I live far away (which isn't a lie for me), etc., etc.  It's sad that I WANT to give someone money and they are that much trouble to give it to them, but it works usually.  I try not to abuse the DPCI though, and I try to always be nice and hope for the same in return.

Sometimes you get jagoffs though, and that's all there is to it.  I've been told, with my gf's son in tow, that someone won't pull something for me/him under one of their myriad of excuses...  I have a friggin' kid there, and they just won't do it, which is BS IMO.

I will say though, you find good guys that help too.  I've made sure to contact district manager #'s of the store where I find someone that will just help me without ANY question or debate on the matter.  I try to reciprocate.  Those district manager calls can make a HUGE difference too, as the DM's love to hear customer happiness since they usually hear customer pissed offness.  When they hear good stuff (and give the employee's name so they get a pat on the back), they let their store/employees that did good know that they're happy with them and it may even get them a slight raise (when I was doing a business externship with JC Penney's I got a raise simply for a call someone made for me, so it happens).

I know our local grocery store actually gives cash bonuses for positive calls about employees...  So there's a way you can keep that employee in a "helpful" mood.

Anyway that's some tips from me anyway...  Like I say, I try not to abuse the DPCI.  Sometimes I just use it to see if stuff's at least there so I know to stop by soon and all and mostly use it to get exclusives so I don't have to "worry". 

And I agree, not a dumb question at all, and hopefully the answers helped.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 17, 2007, 07:25 AM »
I see Target is once again charging close to $12 for these.  Any confirmation that TRU is still going to be charging $10?
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 17, 2007, 09:00 AM »
Somebody at RS claimed to buy these at TRU for $10 each, yes.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 17, 2007, 09:45 AM »
Got shot down again. :(

Perhaps we can start a- I got shot down at target tread. :D

These are enroute to NFC though.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 17, 2007, 09:56 AM »
I guess I'll wait for TRU to get them... otherwise wait for the $3 clearance at Target.

Offline Blackwolf13

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Omaha Fan Force
« Reply #395 on: May 18, 2007, 12:12 AM »
Thanks for the info, everyone. I may have to try that. One last question- Once you get what you want from the case, what then? Just say "Thanks. Bye." and leave them with the case? The only reason I ask is because nothing pisses me off more than the sloppy collectors and/or scalpers who go in & rip through everything leaving the area looking like a tornado hit it. Gives the rest of us normal collectors a bad name. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #396 on: May 18, 2007, 12:46 AM »
I don't know about others but I think we've discussed how some of us actually clean up the toy aisle...  I know we've talked about that before.  I did it tonight at Target.  It's sad, but I like the SW area to look nice.  OCD I guess.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Blackwolf13

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Omaha Fan Force
« Reply #397 on: May 18, 2007, 01:43 AM »
Yeah. I tend to straighten up the Star Wars section too. If we take care of it maybe the employees wil be more apt to be cooperative.

Offline AmanaMatt

• Youngling
  • Breakdance Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 18, 2007, 02:41 AM »
I went to my local Target yesterday morning and was told these will be put out 5/27 only. I went back to the same store in the afternoon and got an another employee to bring them out - the late shift crew seem to be the 'rebels' of the bunch.

First impressions: these look darn nice, especially Snowtrooper, Bossk and Ig-88....I am very happy with this wave.

Update: I opened the Bossk and Ig-88...one word for both: WOW! The detail on these two is staggering - Bossk is a work of art. Ig-88 is actually a quarter of a head shorter than VTSC Chewie, so he is truly an amazing fig, and finally accurate height (taller than the vintage one). His back holster is kinda cool - the guns are made of a very hard plastic, but the blaster doesn't really fit...Amazing detail on this one...they never need to make new sculpts of either ever again, they are that good! The paint detail on these are subtle yet vibrant all at the same time - one thing I would say with this line, these are paint apps you would not see in the regular line - just too much detail. Just an example of what I mean: Bossk's tongue is painted well - something the reg versions did not have, not in this detail. There is no slop at all with these paint apps.

I have not opened my Snowtrooper yet, as I scored just one of these, but he does look very, very nice. I am waiting for my case from Newforce before I get/open the rest. Newforce shipped will be $2 less a fig than Target....go Rick on your prices!!!
Waiting for you in my special place...

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 18, 2007, 02:12 PM »
I don't know about others but I think we've discussed how some of us actually clean up the toy aisle...  I know we've talked about that before.  I did it tonight at Target.  It's sad, but I like the SW area to look nice.  OCD I guess.

I here ya Jesse. I do the same thing. Even if I find nothing new for me, I still like to clean up the Star Wars section at least. I feel that if that section looks nice, then people "may" be more apt to buying from it. That had a positive effect by getting some of those darn pegwarmers out of the store.

Strangely enough I've actually been reprimanded once for doing this. A manager came by and aasked what I was doing. I said something to the affect of "Oh, just trying to keep the aisle clean." He said something to the affect of "Well we have people to do that." Then he asked why I put the figures near the bottom pegs and ganged them up on as few pegs as possible. It was a simple reason. One, kids can actually reach the figures and might be able to more readily find the figures they want. Also, it gives indication to store employees to stock the pegs. Now he understood the first part but got a little upset at the second part.  He said that there are times when they just don't have figures to fill the pegs and that's why they leave them one or two to a peg.

I feel that that kind of looks cheap or that someone didn't feel like stocking. But I won't vocalize that to them, less they start calling me one of "those" collectors...

We have to be careful when dealing with store employees. Even if you've been one of the "good guys" for years, which is what I'm known as at one of my local Wal*Marts, it only takes one negative incident to tarnish what you may have worked years to build up a good rapport with.

As to the Vintage wave, I'm not going to be in a rush to get all of these figs. Just Snowtroopers. Even then, I'm only going to get 11 of them and stop (keeping one carded). The rest I'll get two of (one loose/one carded), but I'll prolly wait for clearances on these, unless they start to becomne HTF. Taking history into account though, that's doubtful.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 07:55 PM by jedi_master_sal »
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 18, 2007, 02:25 PM »

He said that there are times when they just don't have figures to fill the pegs and that's why they leave them one or two to a peg.   

The pegs, to consumers, look better when there's one or two figures on them vs. totally empty.  Most of the time, the stores do not have enough stock to fill each and every peg, hence the 'facing up' of pegs and shelves.

rappor (sp?)

Rapport.   ;)

but I'll prolly wait for clearances on these, unless they start to becomne HTF. Taking history into account though, that's doubtful.

Oh, I don't know.  Hasbro's trying to scare us with talk like this:

One more note in vintage... Because of this timing, we will not be making as many figures as we did in 2006, and are cutting back some to 2004 levels to ensure we don't have a lot of lingering stock this Fall. Collectors should make sure to get them when they see them because they will not be as abundant as they were in 2006.*

*QNA with Hasbro (3/16/07) JD.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 02:26 PM by ruiner »

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 18, 2007, 02:30 PM »
Update: I opened the Bossk and Ig-88...one word for both: WOW! The detail on these two is staggering - Bossk is a work of art. Ig-88 is actually a quarter of a head shorter than VTSC Chewie, so he is truly an amazing fig, and finally accurate height (taller than the vintage one). His back holster is kinda cool - the guns are made of a very hard plastic, but the blaster doesn't really fit...Amazing detail on this one...they never need to make new sculpts of either ever again, they are that good! The paint detail on these are subtle yet vibrant all at the same time - one thing I would say with this line, these are paint apps you would not see in the regular line - just too much detail. Just an example of what I mean: Bossk's tongue is painted well - something the reg versions did not have, not in this detail. There is no slop at all with these paint apps.

These two are my definite favorites from this series. I was very much looking forward to them, and they sure deliver! I can hardly believe 88 is double-jointed at the elbows, knees and ankles. (They damn well should be, at this price point.) I love his butcher knife. Since a society with the technology to fire lasers at each other would have no use for a knife in battle, I imagine he uses it for interrogation of organics... Sufficiently macabre! :o :-X :-[

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 18, 2007, 08:00 PM »

He said that there are times when they just don't have figures to fill the pegs and that's why they leave them one or two to a peg.   

The pegs, to consumers, look better when there's one or two figures on them vs. totally empty.  Most of the time, the stores do not have enough stock to fill each and every peg, hence the 'facing up' of pegs and shelves.

rappor (sp?)

Rapport.   ;)

but I'll prolly wait for clearances on these, unless they start to becomne HTF. Taking history into account though, that's doubtful.

Oh, I don't know.  Hasbro's trying to scare us with talk like this:

One more note in vintage... Because of this timing, we will not be making as many figures as we did in 2006, and are cutting back some to 2004 levels to ensure we don't have a lot of lingering stock this Fall. Collectors should make sure to get them when they see them because they will not be as abundant as they were in 2006.*

Fixed the error, thanks.

I still think the vintage figs will be abundant enough that I won't have to go crazy trying to find them. I'll focus on Snowtroopers and pick up the rest at a leisurely pace. The first set of vintage were not all that scarce except the trooper.

About looking good to the consumer, I'm not sold on that idea. Okay so it "appears" they have stock, but just a slight glance will give it away to what they are doing. I'd rather see figs near the bottom pegs for the kids then all spread out. But that's just my opinion.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #403 on: May 19, 2007, 04:32 AM »
I'm not biting on the "we're limiting these" thing either, so I agree with you there Sal...  I think a lot of that is Hasbro blowing smoke...  R2-Po-Ta-Too was the same way as I recall...  "Don't miss out on this one, it's gonna be rare", and the thing wasn't sold out after X-Mas and really just until recently on Hasbro's site...  I guess I'm a cynic when it comes to Hasbro's Q&A answers sometimes.

I can see them scaling back but I doubt we see these become "rare" by any means...  They'll just not be sitting STILL at some stores.  I know one WM near me still has them on clearance for (hah) $9.96.  Because that $.03 "rollback" makes me want to smack the **** out of smiley faces.  :)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 19, 2007, 09:56 AM »

[/quote]

To me, this is akin to Rick McCallum, in response to the question about whether or not there are two versions of ROTS with a line variant, saying with a wink; "Go see the movie as many times as you can to find out for yourself."
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."