Author Topic: 30AC "Vintage" Wave  (Read 139261 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: 30AC "Vintage" Wave
« Reply #345 on: April 19, 2007, 10:26 PM »
That Luke is great, and I'm thinking this may be one of the best Hammil sculpts we've ever gotten. I may get a few just to swap heads with that Ceremony Luke in wave 2.

I like that Luke too but it has those weird angular shoulder joints. Oh well, nothing a little Exacto can't fix.

Also, has anyone asked Hasbro for a shot of Leia without the poncho? I don't think we've gotten any pics of her without it yet, and I'd really like to see what type of articulation she has under there.

Perv.  :D
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 21, 2007, 11:26 AM »
That Luke is great, and I'm thinking this may be one of the best Hammil sculpts we've ever gotten. I may get a few just to swap heads with that Ceremony Luke in wave 2.

I like that Luke too but it has those weird angular shoulder joints. Oh well, nothing a little Exacto can't fix.

I think Bespin Luke is actually one of the biggest letdowns of the entire year, and here's why. 1) The articulation looks weird, but I GUESS that would have been fine if not for 2) What the hell is wrong with his face? It is innaccurate and ugly beyond description.  :P

In short, this Luke would probably be a complete pass for me, if not for me PROBABLY getting the Case of 12 or 14 or whatever from EE for my graduation present...  8)

If I do get this case which has 2 of each figure in it, that'll probably be enough for me. One of each to tear open, display loose, and mail away for the coins, and one of each to keep carded. I MAY get a couple more snowtroopers if I were to see em at retail though.

...IF I got the case...
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 21, 2007, 11:34 AM »
In short, this Luke would probably be a complete pass for me, if not for me PROBABLY getting the Case of 12 or 14 or whatever from EE for my graduation present...

graduating from preschool?  :P

joking. i think the luke looks pretty good though. way better then the older version we got. sculpt doesnt look to bad either. and besides if you really dislike the head just switch it with the pilot one that one looks pretty accurate.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 21, 2007, 11:44 AM »
RS has posted hi-rez shots of the Vintage wave and while the Snowtrooper still has the crap skirt and  I’ve just nw realized that Han will not be able to sit on a Tauntaun, (maybe in a Vintage one) or run for that matter.
Daigo-bah's ST picture says other wise about the skirt.

I'm probablly gonna order a case from DnStoys.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 21, 2007, 12:50 PM »
Yeah, I think the new hi-rez shot is actually an old pic from around Toy Fair time, while the blurry pic is a recent one.  I'm going to carefully cut the skirt up to belt height on each one I get (planning on about 4-5 for a Echo Base interior attack mini-dio, and maybe one more for my AT-AT interior dio).  The Snowtrooper inside the AT-AT cockpit is actually the Officer, not the grunt (has a rank badge on his chest, no pouches on his belt, MAY not have knee pads, and the skirt looks like the original VTAC version; he MAY also have a solid faceplate instead of cloth as this pic is hard to tell:

Which is ALMOST the version we got here:

I may try to convert a VTAC version into an officer.  As for IG-88: LOVE the sculpt except for one thing- the hips are sculpted to give his legs a wide stance.  Gonna have to boil and freeze him to straighten his legs back to the Bounty Hunter scene.

Bespin Luke: I don't think it particularly looks like Luke, but then it's not an ugly sculpt or anything.  My only gripe here is that his waist is sculpted just a touch too narrow I think.  You can see in the pic from the carded version that his whole torso is straight up and down rather than tapered to a small waist (although it could be deceptive due to the thicker arms and legs):

Han... geez, I wanted that hood-up head SO badly, and I think the cap version looks terrible not to mention I don't recall much film time at all where he wore it like that.  Without the cap will make a nice version when he first arrives at Echo Base in the hangar and argues with Chewie.  I might try to remove the hood-down sculpt piece, and dremel out the Saga head to put on the ball jointed neck for other scenes.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 21, 2007, 01:39 PM »
Why does Luke have the 90's era action figure dirt speckles on him?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #351 on: April 21, 2007, 04:01 PM »
I'm pretty content with everything, not that the Hi-Rez photos are much to base that assumption on since they do seem to be "early" versions of the figures that everyone's already cited flaws with... 

The Snowtrooper's my stand-out favorite of the wave I think, mostly due to his army builder status, but add to that the fact this figure's NEVER had a "decent" version made of him.  There's 3 unique Snowtroopers and not one was ever really that great...  That really bumps this figure up in my book.

Han's great to me...  I get the hat's a distraction, but I figure slitting the skirt for some posing isn't out of the question and he is seen around echo base without the hat on...  I dig that.  I figure I'd rather be trying to make a removable hood for him than not for him, but ideally Hasbro would've given us both heads.  Alas that wasn't meant to be.

Luke I like but...  I'm not fond of the expression.  I can deal with the waist not tapering, even though I think it does a little, but the face is...  Well it's not inaccurate to the character, it's just sort of dumbfounded looking and a little weird.  If that skin tone remains and the ball/sockets are a match, I think a swap with Pilot Luke might work.

Bossk...  Why do I like Trandoshans?  'Cause they gets all da ladies.  Bossk is back and better than ever.  I love the rampant (elsewhere) gripes of "why do him, he just got a good figure a couple years ago", but when you look at it, he's under articulated still and has some pre-posing going on to boot.  I'll take this baby in a heartbeat and I'm HOPING they do a Danz Borin using this as a base.  An easy/cheap cranking out of a Cantina denizen and he'd be SA on top of everything!  They've got the mold, so use it!

IG-88...  This is THE figure I was debating whether I liked it as much, or more than the SNowtrooper...  The wires, the articulation, the DESIGN...  This is outstanding.  You can see, ever-so-slightly, the knee joints...  And the knife.  I still can't get over that he has his knife.  Kudos to Hasbro on a figure that rivals their best work in terms of sculpt.  Now I just hope he's sturdy on those swizzel stick legs.  It's more than possible to accomplish, it's just a matter of Hasbro actually using the right plastic or attempting to get away with cheapy plastic on him.  That's my only fear on IG-88.

Otherwise the more I think, he may be my favorite, he's just that sharp looking...  But man an SA Snowtrooper, like the Scout last year, has been a LONG time coming.  NOw we need SA Rebels because, well, Hasbro's screwed the pooch on every Rebel "trooper" figure till the Honor Guard this year and it's just high friggin' time for some Hothies, Endie's, and Fleeties.

Some curiosities...

-Will Hasbro give us Han, again somewhere down the road, but with the hooded head?  What about in blue colors?  His coat's brown, that's really difficult to debate at this point, but do they throw nostalgia a bone on blue ones?  Or worse, do they do the hooded figure down the road ONLY in blue?  That'd suck.

-Would Hasbro use Bossk for Danz Borin? 

-Snowtrooper's an obvious candidate for a legends assortment next year I think.  Isn't the Scout making it this year?  I didn't really keep up with the voting much on that crap beyond the Pit Droids.

-Is IG-88 Hasbro's best design/sculpting work ever perhaps?  I'd say he beats VOTC Chewie and Ephant Mon (Ephant's not anything special as far as design but he is one of the finer sculpts in the modern line I believe)?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 21, 2007, 07:22 PM »
I think Hasbro said they'll do a Blue re-paint down the road.
My opinions. (again) In order from least favorite to best.:

Luke- It's my least favorite  of the bunch. Due to his eyes looking weird. If they fix it he'll be up above Leia again.

Leia- Can they get her sculpt dead on? It's Ok, but not as good as they can go.

Han- The hat looks dumb. Why LFL approved this & didn't approve the hood-up is beyond me. Great figure other wise.

Bossk- Proves how good Hasbro can be at sculpts. Well, atleast on aliens. The previous versions were greatly sculpted.

IG-88- Though it's the least articulated of the bunch. It's the best improvement. Though where's the wrist articulation?

Snow Trooper- The army builder thing gives this figure the #1 spot. I'm glad they fixed the skirt,it looked retarded before. The Jango head isn't half bad either.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 21, 2007, 07:44 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot to comment on Bossk!  Absolutely no gripe there for me at all.  By the way, JJ, I believe Danz Borin is officially the heavy spacesuit guy, while the one you're referring to is Bossk's/Boshek's outfit (yellow) with Boshek's helmet on, sometimes called "Cantina Guy" or "Cantina Dude".  In this pic, Danz is in the foreground, while the other guy can be seen slightly in the background.

Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #354 on: April 21, 2007, 09:29 PM »
Yeah you're right, I forgot who Danz was (there's a Robo-cop figure helmet identical to his people have made customs using), and Cantina Dude is the Bossk duds.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #355 on: April 21, 2007, 09:42 PM »
Why does Luke have the 90's era action figure dirt speckles on him?

Cuz he's fresh from training on Dagobah  ;) and as a bonus, he gets the right saber this time.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 09:44 PM by jedijaybird »

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 22, 2007, 06:31 PM »
It says Bespin, not Dagobah. ;)

Lukes always have the correct hilt that's connected to the saber. The hilt's that don't connect are Vader hilts. :P

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #357 on: April 22, 2007, 07:37 PM »
I think a hood-up/blue coat version of Han is inevitable.  Also, a Legends repack of the Snowtrooper.  If things carry on like they have been the last year or so, anyways. 

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #358 on: April 22, 2007, 07:59 PM »
It says Bespin, not Dagobah. ;)

I know, that's why I said fresh from Dagobah  ;)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 24, 2007, 09:32 AM »
I'm really looking forward to this wave, as always.  Despite the higher pricepoint, I just like the "vintage" collection overall.  I've always said, if I couldn't afford to collect anything else, I'd try to at least get a set of the vintage figures each year.  It would definitely be easier (and cheaper) to keep up :P.  I'm kind of bummed we aren't getting the "hood up" head with Han as well, but hopefully we'll see it down the road.  The Snowtrooper is long overdue, like others have said, and we'll basically have a super articulated army of Imperials after this release.  I'm curious, what kind of lineup do you think we could have if this continues next year?  Thinking of the same type of wave make-up, we really only have one Han left (Bespin, or maybe Carbonite), and the major Imperial "troops" have been done (but we could definitely use some rebel troops now).  It will be interesting to see what will be next, but that's a ways off yet.