Author Topic: AFA and HasbroToyShop  (Read 7812 times)

Offline manglord

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: AFA and HasbroToyShop
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 09:49 PM »
I've ordered 3 times from Hasbro and each time, the cardbacks were bent up.  I know they will be in clamshells, but can't the clear bubble get scuffed in transit?  I can almost see losing anywhere from 10 to 30 A.F.A points easily. Imagine if you ordered a A.F.A graded Darktrooper, when it arrives it's damaged. Do you call Hasbro up and say refund my $200.00, my Darktrooper was damaged.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 09:12 AM »
Makes sense - there was a survey a while back where Hasbro asked collectors what they thought of the AFA...

Interesting. I'm more fascinated with fact that the AFA company made such a name for themselves that the actual manufacturer is coming to them.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 12:13 PM »
I've ordered 3 times from Hasbro and each time, the cardbacks were bent up.  I know they will be in clamshells, but can't the clear bubble get scuffed in transit?  I can almost see losing anywhere from 10 to 30 A.F.A points easily. Imagine if you ordered a A.F.A graded Darktrooper, when it arrives it's damaged. Do you call Hasbro up and say refund my $200.00, my Darktrooper was damaged.

That's a good point... all the more reason that this whole AFA thing is ridiculous.

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 03:55 PM »
I think this is the final insult Hasbro could do. They shouldn't be in the secondary market at all. It reminds me of what Marvel did back in the early 90's. They pretty much had a linear monopoly going on and when they bought a distributor and made it to where Marvel products were only available exclusively through them it put a lot of retailers out of business and ultimately Marvel had to file bankruptcy, restructure and sell off their card companies, the sticker company and a bunch of other business just to survive the problem they created for themselves. AFA is a scam for how much they charge to grade a figure in the first place and condition is almost always a matter of perspective anyway. I hope Hasbro chokes on all the inventory they have on these AFA fiasco's.

It's always a bad sign when a manufacturer not only competes with their customers on the primary retail market but to jump into the secondary market has to be suicide. You can't find anything at retail because Hasbro has been hording it all for themselves.
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 09:09 AM »

That's a good point... all the more reason that this whole AFA thing is ridiculous.

I'm 99% certain that with AFA you get an acrylic case over a clamshell.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."