Author Topic: 2007: Best year for Luke, ever?  (Read 4063 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
2007: Best year for Luke, ever?
« on: January 25, 2007, 12:56 AM »
So by my count, we're getting:

McQuarrie Luke
Tatooine Luke
Stormtrooper Luke
Ceremony Luke
Bespin Luke
Jedi Luke

And perhaps some sort of EU Luke with Mara Jade in the comic book 2-packs, as well as something in that Father's Day set, most likely.

And just last year, we finally got the Endor/Poncho Luke.

So really, the only Lukes we're not getting this year are the Hoth and Dagobah versions, which I'm fine with, since we got some decent versions of those back in 2004 (although I wouldn't mind seeing a new Hoth Luke maybe as part of the vintage line sometime in 2008 or 2009).

So, too much Luke this year?  Or are you glad they're finally going back and improving on the Lukes they've made over the last few years? 

Me, I'm really glad to see some new Lukes this year, but I'm kind of wondering if they're not blowing their Luke wad for the next couple of years.

Thoughts?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 2007: Best year for Luke, ever?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 01:23 AM »
Definitely worth thinking about with the blowing of the Luke wad, as you put it...  They like to mix those mains into the line, peppering them about.

There's still Hoth X-Wing Luke though, so that's something to consider...  EU versions too.  Maybe Hasbro's banking on EU versions of characters filling some of the potential future void.  At some point you have to hit a level of figure perfection, or near it, and all you can really do is re-release that figure or tweak it so it has a new belt and headset or something, and then turn to comics and other things to get your fill of truly "new" versions of any given character.

I mean, Splinter of the Mind's Eye Luke with his flight suit down around his waist would be a nifty new version of that character I think...  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 01:54 AM »
Yeah, Snowspeeder (or Hoth X-Wing) Luke's a good one, too--think he made my ESB Top Ten list, after today. 

Don't really give a rip about any of the EU incarnations, though, so for me, after this year, there's really not a whole lot more I'd like to see, except for Hoth, Dagobah, Snowspeeder, and Frigate Luke.  Yep, I think it's time for a good Frigate Luke.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 02:03 AM »
I'd kind of dig Luke/Leia in their frigate digs with maybe a box that depicts the window looking out at the galaxy as the backdrop...  Something maybe as an exclusive.  Those figures are just so dull it'd be hard to justify them at basic retail despite being main characters.

Extra cool...  he has a panel on his right wrist that you can lift up to see the wiring.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 03:46 AM »
I'd kind of dig Luke/Leia in their frigate digs with maybe a box that depicts the window looking out at the galaxy as the backdrop...  Something maybe as an exclusive.  Those figures are just so dull it'd be hard to justify them at basic retail despite being main characters.

Yeah, I hear you.  I think the closing scenes of both Star Wars and Empire would make perfect "battle packs," for lack of a better word:

Threepio, Artoo, Luke Ceremonial, Leia Ceremonial, Han Ceremonial, and Chewie

Threepio, Artoo, Luke Frigate, and Leia Frigate (maybe throw in 2-1B for extra value)

The figures themselves might be dull as hell, but I think the presentation could really make up for it.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 08:31 AM »
Well this year and last year combined has a bunch of Luke stuff really.  I know he's practically the show in the OT but just check out this Luke related stuff recently. 

Luke X-Wing Pilot - Vintage
Luke Endor - Basic
Luke Snowspeeder Pilot - Titanium Forged figure (close to an actual figure really)
Luke - Saga - Farmboy with Kenobi Chest of goodies
Luke - Dagobah - X-Wing with Swamp Monster

Then of course this year will have these. 

McQuarrie Luke
Tatooine Luke
Stormtrooper Luke - Comic colors (rather have movie colors instead - close enough)
Ceremony Luke
Bespin Luke - Vintage
Jedi Luke - Rancor Bone

As mentioned the only ones not hit up recently has been Hoth.  Although I think they made a new one before last year that went with the Wampa?  However, a nicer SA version to compliment the vintage Han Hoth would be great. 

But yeah the main representation of Luke that they have not touched upon yet is the Medical Frigate version.  I guess it would be a "dull" figure.  However, if they made the coat and a flip-up thing to see the wiring in his wrists it would not be that bad.  I am sure they could spice it up a bit.   I can see why they would not though it is kind of dull.  I would buy it though...then again I would buy ICMG and Yarna.

I think it's just a matter of time before they put out a Snowspeeder version of Luke and hopefully Wedge as well.  I mean if Sev is getting his figure made they can't be far behind on a Luke version you would think.  And of course that Titanium version.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 09:32 AM »
Definitely a great year for Luke (and overall, as well).  Although we're just seeing some blurry-ish pictures of some of these so far, the figures look pretty spiffy too.  I was thinking about Luke and the other main OT characters after seeing these pictures today, and we're getting closer and closer to having "definitive" versions of many of their "looks".  I'm really looking forward to the vintage Bespin Luke this year, and the Jedi/Jabba's Palace Luke in the regular line looks like it could be "vintage" quality as well.  Some would argue that we still, after so many versions, haven't gotten the "perfect" Tatooine Luke - but other than that we're doing pretty good.  The last Hoth Luke we got (SAGA collection) was pretty nice, but I wouldn't mind a vintage versions to go along with Han in the future.  Otherwise, I'd definitely like to see the others you guys mentioned - Snowspeeder Luke, Frigate Luke, and some improved SA versions of Hoth and maybe Dagobah.  Oh, and repaint the upcoming "Marvel" comic pack in regular, movie colors :).  Definitely a good year (or couple of years) for Luke figures though.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 09:41 AM »

Me, I'm really glad to see some new Lukes this year, but I'm kind of wondering if they're not blowing their Luke wad for the next couple of years.

I kind of agree. The last two years have been particularly Luke light and I wonder if that was due to 40 Tatooine Lukes being released in the span of the 3 years previous to ROTS. The only drawback, a definitive Luke Jedi, but I'm hoping for that in votc form in '08.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 01:21 PM »
I like the fact that hasbro is making new sculpts period. It's so much better than repacks/repaints. I don't care if Hasbro puts out 20 clones/20 Lukes this year as long as they're new sculpts (and those sculpts are not statues;)). Good topic Matt.

DS

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 01:26 PM »
I was justtalking about this with my cousin.  Hasbro seems to be covering most of the Luke bases this year, which I guess makes sense with the anniversary and all.  The ESB versions are really only the major figures they've yet to do with him (satisifactorally): Hoth, Snowspeeder, and the Frigate version.  I suppose you could do a plain orange jumpsuit one as well, if they get really desperate.  Plus, they'll do a movie accurate Stormtrooper Luke at some point...

Offline starwax137

• Jedi Initiate
  • Go away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 04:03 PM »
Maybe they're saving all the ESB ones for 2010?

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 04:05 PM »
or maybe all the ESB Lukes are the  ::)surprise ::) hasbro has in store for us.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 05:27 PM »
This is a lot of Luke figures, I hadn't realized there were so many this year.  I don't really care for the comic one, but everything else looks pretty cool.  Probably right now I'm digging the Bespin Luke the most from the pics, and also the McQuarrie one will be interesting I think.

But I really want a Snowspeeder one (my custom version is kind of lame).  After that, I'd actually like to see a new Hoth version like the upcoming Hoth Han.

;)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 05:34 PM »
But I really want a Snowspeeder one (my custom version is kind of lame).  After that, I'd actually like to see a new Hoth version like the upcoming Hoth Han.

Forgive me for being retarted here, but what's the difference between the X-Wing Luke that came out last year versus a Snowspeeder Luke?  I assume the helmet, but what else?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 05:37 PM »
Quite a bit of subtle difference, actually.  Luke's snowspeerder outfit has a different outer jacket, collar, gloves, and boots (the ones he wears on Hoth).