Author Topic: Obi-Wan's Original Robe up for Auction  (Read 2783 times)

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
Obi-Wan's Original Robe up for Auction
« on: January 30, 2007, 09:44 AM »
After being misplaced for years, Obi-Wan's original robe is now up for auction.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 09:44 AM by tamidala »
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Obi-Wan's Original Robe up for Auction
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 10:13 PM »
Good god, that is one heck of a find.  8)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 11:30 PM »
Can you believe that people were renting the robe for costumes, all the while no one was aware it was the real thing?  That's quite the story behind it. 

So which one of you is going to pony up the minimum $98,000 for it?  :P

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 12:28 PM »
Hmm, I wonder what the "oops I lost it" charge would have been if someone who rented it knew what it was?  ;D  That's an absolutely insane story and i'm interested to see what this finally goes for...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 6, 2007, 08:33 PM »
Star Wars at Bonhams as Obi Wan Kenobi's cloak fetches £54,000

In a jam-packed saleroom, bids were relayed to the auctioneers of the day, Pippa Stockdale and Jon Baddeley. Ownership of Obi Wan Kenobi's cloak was battled for by two telephone bidders.

The original Obi-Wan 'Ben' Kenobi's cloak worn by Sir Alec Guinness in the masterpiece science fiction adventure, Star Wars (1977) sold for £54,000

Obi Wan Kenobi is one of the most prominent characters in the Star Wars saga. Whilst the character is central in the recently filmed prequels (Episodes I-III), starring Ewan McGregor in the role, the character first appeared in the first installment of the saga, Episode IV, A New Hope. Sir Alec Guinness gave a remarkable performance as the ageing Jedi knight in Episode IV and resumes his role in the other sequels.

When Star Wars was first released in 1977, thousands of people flocked to cinemas to watch what was to be the sci-fi epic that would redefine the genre. Alec Guinness starred with Carrie Fisher, and the then 'little known' actor, Harrison Ford. Produced by Gary Kurtz and written and directed by George Lucas, this classic epic of good versus evil was the highest-grossing movie for twenty years and continues to enthral audiences worldwide.

This original cloak, an integral part of this world of excitement and mystery is estimated at £50,000-60,000. Also from Star Wars is an imperial commanders uniform, estimated at £8,000-10,000.

54,000. GBP = $104,152. US.