Author Topic: How will you show the SW Saga to your kids? Or have you?  (Read 4715 times)

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
How will you show the SW Saga to your kids? Or have you?
« on: February 4, 2007, 03:29 PM »
I am getting close to watching a SW film with my son.  He will be 4 in July.  I am fairly certain i want to show it to him in the order I saw the films, although I can see how TPM would be a good place to start for him.  any thoughts or experiences with this?

Also, how long did you wait between introducing another film in the Saga.

My likely order is IV, V, VI, I, II, III.

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: How will you show the SW Saga to your kids? Or have you?
« Reply #1 on: February 4, 2007, 04:43 PM »
That's interesting that you pose this question because I was just asked that very thing last night by my cousin.  She was at Target and was interested in buying a SW DVD for her son who is turning 7 next weekend.  She wanted to know whether to buy the OT or PT series movies first.  I don't have any children, but my thoughts to her were to show the movies in chronological order but to explain that the OT movies were made first.  That way he'll see how it all started and eventually ended.  I'm not sure how long one should wait to show the next episode.  I think that if he enjoys the first movie, he'd probably be eager to view the next.  Again, this is coming from someone who does not have kids, so I may have it all wrong (but who is a kid himself! :)).

I'm sure your son will enjoy Star Wars regardless how you show it to him!  Have fun!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 4, 2007, 04:45 PM »
It will be I, II, III, IV, V, VI.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 4, 2007, 07:41 PM »
My children will never know about the prequels. ;)

No, I'd like to show them in the order they were released. IV, V, VI, I, II, III. If they see the prequels first, then the climaxes of the OT won't be as great as they should be. I want the next generation to have the same shocked reaction we did when we found out Vader was Luke's father.

I've thought about showing the Prequels in between ESB and ROTJ, but that spoils Luke and Leia finding out they're siblings.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 5, 2007, 09:42 AM »
Too late for me. I think I showed the OT, in order, first to my oldest starting at about three years old. By the time ROTS came out, she kind of liked the PT more, but recently (she's almost seven now) she's been asking to watch the OT alot more than the PT. :)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #5 on: February 5, 2007, 10:09 AM »
I don't believe in kids, but if I did:

Star Wars, Empire, Jedi

If they were really curious about the Ben/Vader backstory, then, and only then, would I let them watch Revenge of the Sith.

I love my make-believe kids too much to ever make them watch Phantom Menace and Clones--although that might be good punishment for acting up in make-believe school, or for not eating their make-believe dinner.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 5, 2007, 10:37 AM »

Great, so after viewing TPM, they'll refuse to watch the remaining five.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 5, 2007, 11:20 AM »
I've let my 2 and 3 year old watch TPM and ANH numerous times and they really like them both.  They were a little scared at times during AOTC, so I've only played that one once.  They have no idea about timelines at this age, so I'm ok with not showing them in order at this point in time.  They are mostly interested in the action and who has/doesn't have a lightsaber.  They love the pod race and the lightsaber fighting in TPM. I think that your 4 year old will enjoy the movie, so my recommendation is to start there.

I personally won't be letting them watch ROTS until they are at least 7-8 and even then, I'll probably still skip the scenes where Palpy and Anakin are both getting burned to a crisp.  Not sure about the Jedi purge scenes either right now...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 5, 2007, 05:09 PM »

Great, so after viewing TPM, they'll refuse to watch the remaining five.

Not necessarily, the attitude I'd like to take is The Best Is Yet To Come!

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 5, 2007, 05:14 PM »
I want the next generation to have the same shocked reaction we did when we found out Vader was Luke's father.

Exactly my thoughts.  The revelations of the OT won't have nearly the impact if they watch the PT first.

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 07:06 PM »
Why was this moved to the OT forum when the title is SW Saga?  It's about prequels and OT, right?
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 9, 2007, 07:05 PM »
I will probably have my son watch them as I did.  OT first and then PT. 

Offline clonebuyer111

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 08:18 PM »
i would show it on blue ray original first and then prequels

Offline Padawan Wagaboodles

• Jedi Initiate
  • Choose wisely
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 12:42 PM »
This past year I started watching them with my 3-year old (he'll be 4 in July). He knows the Star Wars characters better than any kid I've met, so I wanted to let him see some of the movies (though my wife wanted him to be a bit older). We started with Ep IV and waited a bit until we watched another one. He seemed to have some bad dreams. But I've shown him IV, V, VI & I. In that order. The prequels are a little more violent, it seems, so I'm a little slower in showing him those. It'll be a while until he sees Ep. III since it's PG-13 and the others are all PG. He's not ready to be exposed to that yet.

if he were older, I'd probably shown him to them in 1-6 order. But for as young as he is, the OT is a little more kid friendly (Lucas tried to make the PT with more kid appeal, but it's just not as kid friendly as the OT).