Author Topic: Does ANYONE collect Baseball cards anymore?  (Read 6418 times)

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Does ANYONE collect Baseball cards anymore?
« Reply #15 on: February 7, 2007, 03:44 PM »
 ;)A lot of people have asked me to draw him(Nolan Ryan) I have his rookiee card through till he retired card,I've got cards galore! I think the oldest one I have 1950 Ted Williams Topps.I got out of it when the card packs were getting too high :P I still collect Star Wars Cars though
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 7, 2007, 06:36 PM »
sports card collecting seems cyclical.   if you want serious money for them, you may have to wait for them to become hot again.

Offline rdm5777

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 7, 2007, 09:07 PM »
When I moved a couple of years ago I threw away almost 20,000 commons.  I went through every single one of them and took out any potential hall of famers and everything else went to the recycling center.  So much money wasted...I wonder if I could have went to College on that :-\

Yes.  In my case it was comic books.  About 8-9 years, $20 a week or more, so minimum $1000 a year.  Nearly 10K down the tubes. 

Same deal for them.  An occasional one will pull some coin (Amazing Spiderman #300) without being graded, but otherwise you're better off aiming for a quarter a piece at a garage sale :-\

At least with comics, you have the stories and art...some are even worth rereading every so often.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 7, 2007, 09:24 PM »
Card collecting, ugh! I never collected sports cards just non sports cards & they are worth crap. A few years I sold off back a complete set of Babylon 5 cards with the holo's & such for good coin but the rest of the series. :-\

Might be best just to go through them for the rarier ones & see what they go for. As for the rest, might have to pick your teeth or use them in your bike wheels like the Gretzky rookie card that many have done.  :-X

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 8, 2007, 09:11 AM »
For those who are still familiar with the card collecting world, are any cards actually worth anything if they don't have grading these days?  Like it was mentioned by others earlier, back when I was collecting (late 80s/early 90s), you could pick up a Beckett's to see what your card was worth - and I remember the "hot" lists of which cards were spiking in value.  I was just wondering if individual cards are worth anything if they aren't graded these days, or if they are just worth significantly more if they are graded.

Offline DrunkJedi

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 8, 2007, 03:32 PM »
I used to collect hockey and baseball cards (late 80's to early 90's). I managed to get a decent sized collection but now that I no longer want the cards, I was told I'd be farther off just torching my collection.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007, 04:55 PM »
I still collect baseball cards--or card, rather:

At last count, I'm up to five-hundred six of them.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 05:01 PM »
Okay I'll bite.  Any particular reason you have 506 Mike Smithson 1985 Topps cards?
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 05:16 PM »
 ;) I have that one in fleer and donruss too! ;)
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2007, 05:23 PM »
Okay I'll bite.  Any particular reason you have 506 Mike Smithson 1985 Topps cards?

If you must know, it's the one card from that year that I could never find.  I bought pack after pack, and eventually case after case, and still never found #483.  I passed up dozens upon dozens of what other people considered the "good" cards--the USA Olympic McGwires, the Goodens, the Mattinglys, the Pucketts, and I didn't give a ****, because they weren't Smithsons.  It kept me from having a complete set of '85 Topps.  Drove me crazy.

And so, to make up for that, I've spent the last twenty years buying up every last '85 Topps Smithson I've come across.  And it's a sight to behold, my collection, if I do say so myself.  But I think I'm gonna stop at 506.

Anyway, there you go.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2007, 05:39 PM »
You serious Clark?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2007, 06:05 PM »
You serious Clark?

As a heart attack, Eddie.

It may seem strange, but it's all about having what I couldn't have as a kid--a sentiment that I'm sure at least a few of us can relate to in this other hobby of ours. . .
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 06:06 PM by Matt »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2007, 08:10 PM »
I saw that on the news tonight and thought of this thread....
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2007, 10:51 AM »
God, if only I had all the money I spent on cards when I was a kid. Luckily, I made some good money back in the day as well. I'd set up a table at flea markets and clean up. Now i'm left with a good 50,000 commons collecting dust in my dad's attic and a bunch of sealed box sets. However, I do have some good ones safely stored but they're not worth squat since they're not graded though i've considered grading some just in case I do decide to sell. The card market is garbage thanks to grading. If I ever see that "Mr. Mint" guy, i'm going to kick him in the balls. Remember when that guy got into SW dealing and "unearthed" a huge stash of carded Vinyl Jawas???
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 10:54 AM by Madcow »