Author Topic: Decision made  (Read 11735 times)

Offline NiubNiub

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Still waiting on LFL....
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2007, 06:04 PM »
9 X 24 is the MAX space I can allot to YOUR diorama
if smaller that is ok, but cannot be bigger

the entire visitor diorama section is 92 feet X 9 feet.

so if you want to go to 15 feet wide that works good.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2007, 09:01 PM »
Awesome news Frank.  Thanks so much for helping us out with this!!! 

I've got some endor figures to send your way too!

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2007, 10:30 PM »
What wonderful time to be without internet... ::)

I think that for now 6' deep x 9' wide is a good size. We have had a enough people drop out or not show interest anymore than filling out much larger than that will be tricky. Should any figures tip over they will be easier to fix as well. I'm big enough that I can reach almost anywhere within that space. Any bigger and we'd have to partially take apart the diorama. I did post a new blueprint in the concept thread here it is too if you want to check it out...

Another thing to consider is we have about two months before these need to be shipped and it took 1 month to make 1 building and another for a piece of terrain. I think going bigger would really be pushing it. I'm going to be busy enough these next few months as is. It makes it easy to divvy up the terrain between 2-3 people too. 2' x 2' is nice and mangeable.

That being said if we make a lot of progress quickly we can go bigger. I just don't want us to stretch ourselves too thin and then end up with a half full diorama. Hopefully we can make a lot of progress quickly and get this made a little bigger. For now though I say we stick with 9' x 6' and then we can go from there if we still have time.

Hey Frank do you know how many people you would be able to get into the Convention early to set up? I know Jesse had one hell of a time trying to get just ONE VIP badge so he could get in to set up the FFURG booth. He had to sneak others in at the loading dock or they wouldn't have been able to get it all set up. And I know ours will be more involved than that. I figure since we have help on the inside (;)) we should be able to get a few? Right now I know I'll need one, Phruby will need one, and maybe two or more people if you can swing it. Anyways dio Assignments should be here by the end of the weekend and we can get started.
"This is the way."

Offline NiubNiub

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2007, 01:12 AM »
I'm afraid I can't help you with the badges.
People/fans who place their dioramas on display do so to show their work to the fans and don't count as "staff" if you will
but more like exhibitors of the workshop.

I only have 5 passes given to me to find my "staff"
certainly NOT V.I.P. LOL not even I get that I am afraid.

If I were to give my passes to you guys, I wouldn't have anyone helping me at the workshop.
Now I could offer you a pass if you want to work at the workshop, but that would take you away from YOUR area.
I assume you want to sit and mingle with the fans behind your diorama.

I can however let you in the day before during SET UP
just go to loading doack and give my name and mention the dioramas builders in the fan hall

sorry about the passes.

Since you had already contacted Mary at Lucasfilm, she may be able to asnwer you if she can send you
passes for your crew.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2007, 01:30 AM »
Frank thanks again for the information you're feeding us.  I have a feeling we'd be in a sinking ship without your assistance and communication to us.

Regarding the design - I like Ryan's layout a LOT.  Very specific on what needs to be made with the buildings being labeled like that.

As for the terrain... are we going with the ready mat?  I am still an advocate of one person making the terrain and bringing it with them (so it looks consistent and we don't have to piece it together).  Ryan had made a small version of one at one time that looked excellent.  One thing we really ought to do in my opinion is have several baggies of lichen on hand that can be added at the end to cover up any possible seams or buildup of some shrubbery around the city wall.

I am going to try and be the one that makes the main wall.  I think having two people do it will be too hard to do.  People will use differnet methods, color, texture, etc.  It just wouldn't look right.  I will know within 2 weeks if this is something I can fully commit to (and I do intend to) - a lot depends on what I can or can't get done the next couple weeks.

And again, GREAT job on that map Ryan.  I am seeing this as a lot more doable about now.

DAMN I can not wait to see this thing and am depressed that I can't be there in person...  :-\

:P

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2007, 10:28 AM »
After a few more emails to Mary at LFL, I've gotten NO responses back about the fan booth or anything for that matter. It seems a little rude that they won't even say that they still havn't decided or even to say we are or not accepted. I mean we did do everything they asked and to not even receive a simple acknoledgment back seems in poor form.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline NiubNiub

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2007, 04:53 PM »
Don't feel it's just about you Phurby.
be aware that I now work below Mary on the 4th floor and it sometimes takes 1 week or more for her to get back to me.

She works like 9 am to midnight preparing the convention
imagine having to organise EVERYTHING.

we are just lower on the priority. and as for "rude" no replies...

After my ILM interview last year, it took them 8 months !!!!! to reply to my whats hapening email.
and I was a chosen candidate.

Sadly, the company is so big that they  receive tons of emails and ONLY reply when they ...
A) have an answer
B) need to find something out NOW

imagine how many emails and time it would take to reply to the "i dont know yet, stay tuned..." crowd.
I know I felt the same way as you, why dont they at least just acknoledge the email, even if its bad news.

I finally learned how it all works. Hope this helps clarify some of your concerns.

ps... I too sometimes take a little longer then I wish to reply to my mails, but I do reply.
frank

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2007, 10:05 PM »
All hail wise old Niub!

ps gonna send you some pics soon.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2007, 09:59 AM »
That's good to hear Frank. I'm just a little concerned that their web site said they will respond by January 31st. Mary even told me she was running a week late and promissed it that weekend. Of course that was a month and half ago. I guess the whole thing is a mute point anyway. I'm just really thankful for your help.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2007, 11:37 AM »
I just got an email from Mary Franklin. We are approved. She will be mailing information this week.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2007, 04:47 PM »
So we still intend to ditch the booth, correct? We already had planned on using Frank's space, we should contact Mary ASAP and let her know we aren't going to use the space...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 04:48 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2007, 10:27 AM »
LOL- now we have too much space!
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2007, 02:50 PM »
I agree, we ought to go with Frank's space.  I feel much better doing that... but of course it's definitely awkward not using the space they alloted for us, but wow here it is mid March and we just now find out.  What else were we supposed to do but see what our options were, and accept a definite offer over something that might or might not pan out?

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2007, 04:07 PM »
There are pros and cons both ways. I havn't decided which way to go yet. There are certain financial and control benefits by going with our assigned booth. I need the leadership to pm me and to list out what you think are the pros and cons privately to me.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2007, 04:06 PM »
We discussed via PM... I'd prefer going with Frank's space, but then again, I am not going to be physically there and there benefits to using the LFL space.  I say this is ultimately Phruby's call (and I know it's not an easy decision).