Author Topic: Decision made  (Read 11731 times)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: Still waiting on LFL....
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 09:53 AM »
Playing devil's advocate again... We were close to needing to scrap the project because we didn't have enough people to staff a both, add to that we may be helping Frank out too and we don't have near enough people to cover the booth even if LFL gives it to us. I say we ditch the booth entirely and go with Frank's space.

I'm with Ryan on this.  I think we are setting up for a logistical nightmare.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 10:23 AM »
I've decided that we will keep the booth and offer it up to Kris or someone else to use. We won't have any content in the booth that we will be in charge of. We will have our dio in Franks booth and help him out with whatever he needs.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 11:19 AM »
I've decided that we will keep the booth and offer it up to Kris or someone else to use.

Wow.  I don't have a lot to do with the UGP anymore, but I have to say that is a terrible idea. 

A lot of fan groups are competing for those free booths.  They took the time to put together an application and send it in to GenCon.  If you get one of the free booths and then turn around and offer it to another group, that is pretty lame IMHO. 

I am pretty sure that LFL and GenCon set up the booth approval process for a reason and that reason wasn't to decide which groups get to give their booths away.   If you don't end up needing your booth, you should probably let LFL/GenCon know so they can give it to another Fan Club who took the time to go through the approval process instead of you just giving it to whoever you feel like.

In your application, you submitted the names of people who wished to use the booth for a specific purpose... think LFL/GenCon is going to be happy with those people to see a totally different group in your booth, especailly if it is a group that they never approved to be there, especailly when there are other fan groups they turned down so you could be there?

Just something to think about...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 11:31 AM »
I'm with Jeff on this one. Keeping the booth is a bad idea no matter how we try to spin it, keeping the booth won't be a good thing. Adding to what Jeff said... They can ban our entire group from the con for giving our booth away without approval. They have all our names on the application. I for one wouldn't be to thrilled if that were the case...
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 11:49 AM »
Yeah I can see that point, I'm very afraid of pissing off LFL. 

BTW, I sent Niub Niub a pretty detailed email last night to his work account, hopefully will hear back from him soon...

:P

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2007, 12:33 PM »
I agree with the others, I don't think it would be fair to just give our booth away.  We proposed very specific ideas in that booth and for us not to fufill our commitment makes us look bad.  I think the LFL/gencon staff would understand if we found another suitable alternative for displaying our project.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2007, 02:29 PM »
Fine. We'll ditch the booth if and when LFL ever gets back to me.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 04:48 PM »
Still no word from "you know who". I guess its a mute point.

Offline NiubNiub

• Youngling
    • View Profile
WE HAVE CONFIRMATION !!!
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 09:00 PM »
hey Guys,
great news...
I have gotten confirmation from Lucasfilm that it is OK for you guys to display your GIANT DIORAMA in the visitors diorama
exhibition area which is inside the diorama workshop.

If you have visited my site or been to C2 and C3 you then know I loved to share others work next to mine to motivate the most people into starting to display at home.

Your Diorama being SO big, will of course be the centerpiece and sit on a 9 X 24 foot wide table.
i am hoping that another 7-10 high quality dioramas from other visitors will be displayed next to yours as well.

I hope this is good news for you.
Even though it isn't your OWN personal space.

Of course you can have signage next to the diorama saying who made it but remember that since it will be showcased next to others,
people will be lining up to take pictures. hope thats ok.
There is space BEHIND the table if you wish to place 2 or 3 chairs to sit at if you want to answer questions people may have of your work.

any questions, feel free to contact me here or on my web email
comments@niubniubsuniverse.com
Enjoy. C4 will be SO much fun !!!!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2007, 09:28 PM »
Whoo Hoo!!!! 

Frank you are the best.  Wow, thank you, thank you from all of us!

9 x 24?  Holy cow... I think we were thinking we were down to 9 x 6... 9 x 24??  Wow.

Guys we have to seriously roll our sleeves up now and get to work.

Offline NiubNiub

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2007, 09:55 PM »
you are VERY welcome

I am glad you brought it to my attention.
I have been banned from rebelscum and their forums (how old is phil wise? grow up man, life is short)
so I would have not been able to find out about your project had you not written to me direct.

The size of the tables is the max space to give you, of course what you dont need can go to another diorama

though I wonder who will have the courage to be next to your MEGA city :)

can't wait.
are you guys driving that down?
what materials will you be using?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2007, 11:23 PM »
Cool, so you got my email.

We'll need to discuss and come up with final dimensions very soon.  We've had a bit of back and forth on the dimensions.  I think 9 x 24 might be a little larger than we can do, but what I do I know?  We might need to scale down to 9 x 15 or something - I think that is more realistic.  But I'd like to hear what Phruby, Glassman, Ryan and others think.  We should nail down a definitely size no later than this weekend.

Again thank you, and for the life of me, I have no idea why they would not want you associated with them.  That's a shame.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2007, 01:18 AM »
I have been banned from rebelscum and their forums

Then you're in the right place Frank...  I think half our staff's banned from Scum. :)  Not me of course... [/end angel halo]

That's a generous offer to host the UGP in your space at C4 Frank, and alleviates the issue of space for the crew setting this up. 

If I may make a suggestion...  9x24 is massive and given the response to production I'd definitely scale that back somewhat Justin...  I think 9x15 is pushing it even.  That's a good bit to fill out when you think about it... 

Consider some larger structures to fill portions if too much space becomes a concern...  Quick larger foamcore structures could be a positive answer to that dilemma.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2007, 01:04 PM »
This is great news NN, thanks for helping out.

SO are we back to the 9 x9 demensions? Like he said the total area is 9x24, there may be alot of others wh want to display their stuff.
So whe shouldnt "hoard" the entire table.

So if we do 9x9, 2 questions. Do we add back a spaceport?  Second, if we are the "center piece of the 9x24 tables and there is area to walk behind, is there place for the "scenic backdrop"? I was thinking it would be in a corner and we would have 2 side to hang the backdrop, but if its in the center of a table that has no "walls" do we do a backdrop at all?

Thoughts?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2007, 01:09 PM »
If it's not against a wall, then I don't think we'll be able to have a backdrop.  Any idea Niub Niub if this is possible?  It doesn't sound like it is to me...

On the dimensions, 9 x 9 might work... I tend to think of dioramas though in more of a rectangle shape... maybe that's just me.  What if we went 6 x 12 for the floor plan on it instead?  I would "think" we can add in the spaceport.  It might just have an Imperial Shuttle and a couple small ships though.

You know what I think would look cool in it in the spaceport?  A couple of repainted Skyhoppers.