Author Topic: Need help with alien hunting  (Read 8693 times)

Offline Darth_Punky

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Need help with alien hunting
« on: February 7, 2007, 03:39 PM »
Help me fellow Star Wars fans your my only hope!

I have been fascinated with the Mos Eisley Cantina ever since I was a young boy and I have been collecting over the years building a little diorama of my favorite scene, but I cant find a list or pictures of all the aliens in the bar that have been made into figures. It has become quite confusing at times Takeel or Zutton blue snaggletooth or red? Hey is that a Elis Helrot figure coming out in the new set? Wait is that a Jawa in the cantina? *pause rewind* I could really use your help.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Need help with alien hunting
« Reply #1 on: February 8, 2007, 04:14 AM »
I'll see if I can help you out Punky and welcome to JD...  Hope you stick around.

-Greedo...  Greedo has a wide variety of figures/sculpts from his vintage to his latest vintage Saga Collection figure.  The last figure (VIntage Saga) in 2006 was the best sculpt to-date.  A thing to consider there with Greedo is that there are multiple Rodians seen in the Cantina as well as out in the streets of Mos Eisley that ALL look like Greedo...  So it's cool to have the variety of looks in this figure with it's various sculpts because they all fit into the cantina or out in the streets just fine.

-Ponda Baba...  Ponda's seen too few sculpts.  He's got his original POTF2, then a retooling of that figure for the Cantina sets with a removable arm, and then there's a pre-posed lunging version of him from a 3-pack.

-Dr. Evazan...  Dr. E is another one that he has llines but only two unique versions of his figure.  The original Dr. E was pre-posed from a 3-pack, and the 2nd was a retooling of that figure to have poseable legs and less posed look...  both figures suck.

-Labria...  The "Devil" guy from a 3-pack, he just got a repaint of his dated sculpt in the "Wal-Mart 5" figures that just started hitting retail in the last couple weeks.  The paintjobs are SIGNIFICANTLY different, and really they could be viewed as unique figures but only one of his species was in the Cantina and which paintjob is "best" is debateable.

-Nabrun Leids...  Much like Labria he just got a repaint as part of the 5 exclusive Wal-mart figures (he's packed with another Cantina character).  And much like Labria, Nabrun Leids is significantly different from his original figure that was in the same 3-pack as the original Labria figure.

-Takeel...  Takeel is THE Cantina Snaggletooth...  He was part of the same 3-pack as Nabrun and Labria.  Zutton, often confused with Takeel (but looking not too much alike) was not from the films, and is from the Holiday Special TV program.  Same goes for the Blue Takeel figure or "Blue Snaggletooth", which was really nothing more than a kitbashed homage to a vintage mistake.

-Muftak...  Muftak was a big white furry alien from the Cantina and originally released in an internet exclusive 2-pack with Kabe.  Muftak's sculpt was re-released in 2006 to make up the Clone Wars cartoon Jedi Foul Moudama (they're the same species).

-Kabe...  Packed in with Muftak was Kabe, memorable as the little "bat" person that is begging for a drink at the bar in the film.  Kabe also just got re-released packed with Nabrun Leids as part of the exclusive Wal-Mart figures that just started shipping.  Her paint deco is really negligible however.

-Ellors Madak...  Ellors got released in the POTJ line as a Fan's Choice figure.  He's one of two blue skinned big-red-eyed aliens seen talking to each other in the Cantina.

-Momaw Nadon...  Momaw, or "Hammerhead" has a surprising variety of sculpts...  He has of course a vintage figure, but also his POTF2 upgrade, then he got a slight retooling as part of the Cantina sets as well as a redecoration, and then in 2006 Momaw got an all-new sculpt.  So really there's 3 fairly unique looking Hammerhead figures you can have standing together and they all look great, but only one Hammerhead/Momaw Nadon was in the Cantina.

-Sandtroopers...  They're in the Cantina, one in a white pauldron and I can't recall the other color offhand but I believe it's black.  They come in to investigate what's going on after Ben's hackjob.  There's a variety of sculpts of Sandtroopers to use.

-Obi-Wan...  Old Ben Kenobi is in the Cantina of course, and in his full robes while there if you're looking for a figure of him for in your scenes.

-Luke Skywalker...  Again like Ben, Luke is there...  Lots of various sculpts of Luke that would work for the Cantina.

-Wuher...  Wuher the bartender of the Cantina has 2 unique figures.  One was an exclusive to the Fan Club with a cup molded into his hand.  The other Wuher had his cup hand modified to be open and you could put an accessory into it.  The first Wuher figure came with the droid detector on the wall though.

-The Cantina Band...  The Cantina Band is debateable as to how many members are actually seen in the film I guess, but years ago the Fan Club got an exclusive set of figures.  They're all the same but all packed with a full set of instruments.  You could get the figures individually or in a 5 figure set (and there's 5 unique instruments).  There's debate that there's 6, 7, or more members of the band though.  I personally have 6 in my scene.  These figures also got re-released just htis year in an exclusive tin set at Wal-Mart which is like fly dirt around me...  They're everywhere.  These versions have painted instruments and cloth robes too instead of plastic robes the first versions had.

-Jawas...  offhand I can't recall seeing Jawas inside the Cantina but there's some drunk ones lying around outside it.  I think there probably is at least one inside too.  There's various modern Jawa sculpts and one due out in 2007 that's all-new too with a new droid.

-Hem Dazon...  The "Arcona" that pops up as the first character inside the cantina that you see in the film was made in 2006.

-Garindan...  I don't believe he's actually in the Cantina, but Garindan is the snitch who follows Luke/Obi-Wan to the Millenium Falcon Docking Bay.  He has 2 sculpts, the POTF2 one and now in 2006 a resclupt that's fantastic.  I don't believe he is in the Cantina but I could be wrong on that and he could be hiding in the shadows.

-Kitik Keed'kak...  Kitik is a giant Praying Mantis creature seen standing in the background of the Cantina.  The figure for Kitik was originally part of a Cantina 3-pack at K-mart stores and then re-issued in the Wal-Mart exclusive wave of figures that just started shipping in recent weeks.

-Feltipern Trevagg...  Feltipern was a goat looking character that was part of the last waves of 2004/05 "Original Trilogy Collection" figures leading into the Revenge of the Sith line. 

-Myo...  Myo's a one-eyed freak from the Cantina and also part of the short transition line Feltipern was part of (a single wave was actually called the "Cantina Wave" of 3 figures, and Myo/Feltipern were the first two in it).

-Dannik Jerricho...  Dannik is seen in the Cantina smoking a hookah pipe at the front of the bar.  He looks very human but he isn't when you see him up close.  He's the last figure of the famed "Cantina Wave" and one of my favorites.

-Bo Shek...  Besides Wuher and main characters, Bo Shek is the only human to get a figure...  He's the guy in a black fighter pilot-styled costume talking to Obi-Wan at the opening scenes of the Cantina sequence.  He motions Obi-Wan to Chewbacca as a recommendation for what Obi-Wan wants done.

-Chewbacca...  He's there...  various sculpts exist but his recent super articulated version in the Early Bird set is the ideal.

-Han Solo...  Again lots of sculpts of him to go in this scene but the "Vintage OTC" version of him is the best.  Super articulated and perfect for the scene. 

-Lak Sivrak...  In POTF2 Lak got a figure before the special editions of Star Wars came out and his figure got cut out of Star Wars!  Lak is a wolfman looking figure.  He's there...  from a certain point of view.  Only in the original cuts now unfortunately. 

-Ketwol...  Ketwol was put into the Special Editions of Star Wars and got his figure in the POwer of the Jedi Line alongside the Ellors Madak figure.

-Zutton...  Zutton was never in the Cantina, and only appeared in the Star Wars Holiday Special...  He was a mistake from way back in the vintage days that has carried over to today.  The "Blue Snaggletooth" Zutton is even a mistake upon the original mistake.

Ironically the vintage Snaggletooth looks more like the proper Takeel character than the modern Zutton figure it was sort of based on.

-Blue Zutton...  See above.  The modern "Blue Snaggletooth" was a fan wank put into the 2nd K-Mart Cantina 3-pack and was comprised of different parts.  The original Blue Snaggletooth was a mistake by Kenner sculptors who didn't know what the costume of the character they were working on would look like...  They later got shots of the Zutton character from the Holiday Special and the vintage Red Snaggletooth got a resculpt.  Both vintage Snaggletooth figure's have their head sculpted based on the Takeel character though, not Zutton...  So yeah, it's confusing.

Suffice it to say, Zutton is nowhere near the Cantina in the film.

-Elis Helrot...  Set for 2007, he's the scream mask guy.

-M'iiyoom Onith...  Also set for 2007.  He's a little harder to describe.

-Tonnika Sisters...  It seems every year one or both of the famed Tonnika Sisters is "rumored".  No images yet, not much has been said on them of late.  Hasbro has said they're coming but who knows.  They're the two chicks iwth beehive hairdos seen at the bar.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Punky

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 8, 2007, 10:38 AM »
Thank you very much, this is exactly what I've been looking for. ;D

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 8, 2007, 11:15 AM »
Good list Jesse, way to help him out!

DS

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 8, 2007, 08:47 PM »
Yeah, I have to say that was an enjoyable read Jesse.  I'm just finishing setting up my Cantina display and it really drove home how badly we need updated Ponda Baba and Dr Evazan figures -- they are among the more "important" background characters but have terribly articulated and preposed figures.

Offline Darth_Punky

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 07:20 PM »
Wow I just saw the figures from the Toy Fair, I cant wait to get my hands on Elis Helrot and M'iiyoom Onith!
I also have one more alien to add to the list: Djas Phur "the coal man" he's seen by Muftak and a Bith (not part of the band) in the beginning of the cantina scene, I think right after  Hem Dazon pops up.

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 12:38 PM »
Just a tidbit-
M'iiyoom Onith is actually a she- and she looks pretty wierd.  She'll be coming with Elis Helrot in the 30th AC with part of the "curved" bar piece.

Oboewan
"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline Darth_Punky

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 01:23 PM »
Just a tidbit-
M'iiyoom Onith is actually a she- and she looks pretty wierd.  She'll be coming with Elis Helrot in the 30th AC with part of the "curved" bar piece.

Oboewan

Yeah you see her flirting with Feltipern Trevagg in the cantina. Then they go off and mate, then she kills him as part of the female H'nemthe mating ritual. What a way to go!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 01:25 PM by Darth_Punky »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 12:46 PM »
Wow I just saw the figures from the Toy Fair, I cant wait to get my hands on Elis Helrot and M'iiyoom Onith!
I also have one more alien to add to the list: Djas Phur "the coal man" he's seen by Muftak and a Bith (not part of the band) in the beginning of the cantina scene, I think right after  Hem Dazon pops up.

Djas Phur was released on the blue cards following AOTC (the first Saga line?) so that figure is out there too, released back around 2002/03. 

Awesome list Jesse, wow. :o
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Desfiy

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 02:46 PM »
I seem to be liking this place more and more, it gives great help to people who are just starting in the hobby as well as information the people who have been in years, just had to sing praises, anyhow.

I think they need to redo a lot of the figures that have been mentioned above.

The Figures that Need improving in my opinion are:
Labria - Needs a complete New Sculpt.

Lak Sivrak - Theres no reason they cant do this one, they have Voolvif Mon out already all you need to do is alter him slightly and bingo you have Lak.

Kabe - Needs to be done similiar to the TAC Jawa as in articulation and a better face sculpt please.

Kitik Keed'kak - Yes theres a lot that can be done with this figure, soft goods skirt for one, Joints for another, more accurate paint scheme, hate to tell Hasbro this but Praying Mantises are green and so is Kitik.

Ponda Baba - Needs to be completely redone, with new sculpt and SA joints, with removable arm as well.

Dr. Evazan - Needs to be completely redone, with new sculpt and SA joints.

Nabrun Leids - Nice Figure but needs articulation.

Takeel - Really Needs a good resculpt, with jointed elbows and knees.

Muftak - Would love for them to give him jointed knees and elbows.

Ellors Madak - He just needs joints, the figure as a whole is really exceptional for the time.

Obi Wan - Well he just needs to be redone with proper SA and great head sculpt.

Wuher - This guys needs some love, I would say likewise with Malakili, heck it may pegwarm but at least I will buy one.

The Cantina Band - These Guys sorely need to be updated they just look plain awful in my eyes, plus theres no way for any of them to sit.

Dannik Jerriko - Just a pet peeve never liked the fact he has Probiscus, seeing you never saw them in the Cantina, sort his head out and release him again Hasbro, and you have a winner.

Bo Shek - Needs to be re-done with the new Vintage Style Bossk body with new parts added.

Ketwol - Needs improvement, but not much, give him articulated elbows and maybes a soft goods coat and then we can call him quits.

Zutton/Snaggletooth - Would like to see a New SA Vintage Style one, have fond memorys of him from childhood.

Blue Zutton - If they release a New SA Snaggletooth/Zutton, then yes I would like to see another one of these, but done like the Vintage One, in other words I want him tall.

Tonnika Sisters - Sorely need to be released no more exscuses release these now Hasbro, lol.