Author Topic: 2008 Wave 2 - The Force Unleashed  (Read 104140 times)

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Wave 2 - The Force Unleashed
« Reply #225 on: March 3, 2008, 09:30 PM »
I think they look awesome and I'm actually thinking about breaking my 10 only limit on these.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #226 on: March 3, 2008, 09:49 PM »
I've always looked at Sandtroopers as just "Stormtroopers" with their field gear on...  I think the notion of them being "specialized" is overrated.  EU's sort of adopted the same idea, that the trooper's backpack is modular for putting in the right gear for the right job, and the pauldrons are just used for trooper's out in the field...  Not really specized per se.

These guys from Force Unleashed are REALLY sepcialized though...  Their uniforms are radically different for whatever reason.  The Evo guy (I found a lone one tonight for some odd reason) is really freakish, but the design's cool...  The packaging said they're for the most hostile environments, and have been trained to survive on the planets the regulars can't I guess.  High lightning/electricity in the atmosphere, acidic stuff...  They handle the rough stuff, which I think makes some sense.

I honestly don't think they look too cartoony.  They look pretty true to the 3D animation though, but in the same way the Darktrooper looks true to his base character.  I think the CW3D figures have an element of realism to them that, if you were to take the heads off and put on realistic ones, you'd see figures that would fit better in your collection than you maybe expected.  These guys from Force Unleashed seem like they're really attempts at realistic sculpting but based on their game looks...  I'd say closer to the basic line wave of Clone Wars figures, which have that tinge of cartoon but a predominantly realistic look.  If that makes sense.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 4, 2008, 09:05 AM »
I think the skiddles troopers look more cartoony than the Evo and jump trooper.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline ctonra

• Jedi Initiate
  • J316
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 4, 2008, 01:37 PM »
I've always looked at Sandtroopers as just "Stormtroopers" with their field gear on....
I feel the same way
Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 4, 2008, 04:27 PM »
I've always looked at Sandtroopers as just "Stormtroopers" with their field gear on....
I feel the same way

I second (or third) this sentiment. It's one reason I haven't gone crazy army building with Sandies.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 6, 2008, 08:48 PM »
New Force has preorders up for the Wave 2 Rev 2 case. It contains: 2x Imperial Evo Trooper, 2x Imperial Jumptrooper, 1x Maris Brood, 1x Battle-Damaged Darth Vader, 1x Rahm Kota, 2x Emperor's Shadow Guard, 1x Juno Eclipse, 2x Kashyyyk Trooper. It's a great deal for those who want more army builders. I ordered a couple of cases.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Darth Vorax

• Youngling
  • Will To Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 7, 2008, 03:21 PM »
Is it just me, or do those things look as cartoony as the new Clone Wars figures?

They look  obviously based off of the "McQ Stormtrooper", which was an awful sculpt and bad figure.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 15, 2008, 10:41 PM »
So is there really a variation on Maris Brood or do we have another situation here where the figure shown at conventions is a pre-production sample featuring flesh colored skin, but the actual product version of the figure has gray/ashen skin color?

For those of you that have found this figure - what color skin have you found? I have a friend who found this figure last weekend and it is the grayish skin "version".
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 20, 2008, 03:30 PM »
Found two - both have a more grayish skin tone.

Great figure by the way, except for her un-articulated knees.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #234 on: March 20, 2008, 07:15 PM »
i think mine looks more pink...i could be wrong though.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 20, 2008, 07:54 PM »
Maybe I need to see a comparison pic, or post mine.  I thought it was more grayish, but I could be wrong.

Offline bamaker

• Youngling
  • Hey, look at this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 26, 2008, 11:24 PM »
I ordered the rev 2 case from New Force Comics awhile back.  Today I received my paypal invoice.  So I guess that means these should be shipping out pretty soon.  ;D

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 27, 2008, 01:04 PM »
Entertainment Earth shipped my wave 2, revision 2 case yesterday.   :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #238 on: March 30, 2008, 03:33 PM »
So thanks to my local buddy swfinderpa, I'm caught up on Wave 2 and basic junk for 2008 till July I guess.  Now onto exclusive crap I can't find!  Yay!

Anyway, some thoughts...

-Rahm Kota...  Outstanding Jedi freak.  Love the battlescars, the topknot, and I think the armor looks cool, as though he pilferred it for added protection due to his "on the lamb" nature.  I think his likeness could've matched his image on the cardback a bit more but it's not much for me to gripe about...

What is annoying me though?  The fact he's given a bandoleir lightsaber "holster" thing, and no lightsaber hilt to put into it.  That is really annoying, and would've been a great feature that Hasbro omitted for no really clear reason I can see.

Figure itself...  Outstanding.  The softgoods only add to the coolness, the armor's partially removable, and the articulation is outstanding.  Paint and sculpting, top notch.  One of the better figures of the wave IMO.

-Shadow Guard...  He's cool.  I think for a repaint, this is pretty slick, and even some anti-EU fans will dig the weapon and the looks of the character.  Like an elite of the elite type trooper that are trained in saber fighting.  A removable helmet with unique headsculpt would've been nice (ala the Darkhorse 2-pack of guards), and I would also say new hands would've been nice, but as it is, it's a good figure.  Removable blade = really good too...  Nice to get that on this figure when Kota should've had it as well.

-Marris Brood...  Easily the weakest of the bunch, but not TOO bad.  The lack of articulated knees is obviously her most glaring flaw.  I actually would've liked if Hasbro used the Aayla Secura ROTS figure as a base, made new arms and a new head, and given us that.  That would've been ideal to me...  Again a cool sculpt and paintjob though, and really neat innovation on the sabers.  I expect to see these in the EU again at some point as they're quite unique.

Speaking of the sabers, if I were to design them they'd get shorter blades ala Maul's, but that's me.  The blades make them seem less "elegant" or nimble weapons I guess. 

Still, a cool figure...  Some knees would've made her perfect I think, but the figure's not bad as is, and has a neat sounding backstory to it.

-Jump Trooper/Evo Trooper...  Covering them together because, honestly, they're not different enough to warrant separation.  They're new funky designs of Clones, and that should make people happy.  I like them...  Would've liked some decals maybe on the box of the Evo Trooper since it looks like it's to have some kind of button deco ala the AT-AT driver.  Good articulation, lots of greeblies added on...  Makes for new trooper suit designs, and troopers that ACTUALLY maybe would require additional training for their jobs unlike, say, a "Sandtrooper", or a Trooper donning cold weather gear... 

-Battledamaged Vader...  Card says something about battling Rebels on the new Death Star.  Sounds interesting, or possibly insanely lame.   :-\  Regardless, it's a heavily articulated figure and without all the crap put onto it, he looks great.  The pieces to fill the missing costume are, to me anyway, worthless.  They make him look a little less battle damaged, at best.  Not much to write home about, but the figure itself is solid and well sculpted.

-Juno Eclipse...  I got her earlier, and she's cool.  She'll make a nice army builder, and if you can get additional headsculpts with different hair/skin colors and things, she'll army build ok.  Not much to write home about other than I wish I had a male version of this figure because it's sorely lacking in the line.

-FU Evolution set...  I know this isn't the right thread, but I have to say while I love the FU wave, the Evo set is the wave's highlight.  Without it, the FU figures feel incomplete.  If you get one FU item, get that one.  It's near perfection...  Couple ball/socket elbows and lightsaber hilts away from perfection actually. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 31, 2008, 12:12 PM »
I only have three so far but I had to share my thoughts...

Rahm Kota--An outstanding Jedi figure with plenty of articulation, excellent sculpt (the armor is great), and a neat softgoods cape thing. I agree that his bandolier could've used a lightsaber hilt to go in it though, and it really surprised me when I opened him up and saw that that wasn't included. That's really his only flaw, it's an awesome figure. However, in the summer drought ahead, he's pretty boring next to the other offerings of the two '08 waves, and I think we'll be seeing a lot of Kotas and Kenobis hanging around. One thing this possible pegwarmer's got going for him is that he's terrific custom fodder, so I'm sure I'm gonna be picking up a couple extras for that. A-

Maris Brood--Pretty weak. The wide legs and unarticulated knees really mess up what could've been a really cool figure. The top half is great though.  ;D And I always think it's stupid when Hasbro gives a figure foot articulation and no knee articulation. I do like the lightsabers, but I heard from somewhere that they're the wrong color (confirmation?). Overall it's an interesting character that will probably still sell really well, but it would've been nice if Hasbro had put in that tiny extra amount of effort. B-

Juno Eclipse--This figure has everything, super articulation, nice sculpt, army building potential. The only bad thing is seeing her next to her male Saga Legends companions, and being reminded of how much these guys need resculpts. With removable caps, please. A-
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!