Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Books/Comics  (Read 7120 times)

Offline Ghost of QG

• Jedi Initiate
  • Pimpin' the Midwest
    • View Profile
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Books/Comics
« on: February 14, 2007, 02:50 PM »
From the Official Press release of the Force Unleashed Video Game:

LucasArts is preparing an unprecedented promotional effort around the launch of The Force Unleashed, encompassing a full line of toys and game-based action figures from Hasbro, as well as a full publishing program from Dark Horse, Del Rey and Palace Press.

Is anyone else a little excited about comic and novel tie in's ? I think these will be great!!!!

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Force Unleashed Video Game Tie In
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 03:13 PM »
I've seen the pics on the home page! :o I'm reved to get the game,and especially the figures.I didn't know about the book ;D I'll get that too while I'm at it!
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline Darth Depressis

• Jedi Padawan
  • i've never seen garbage eat garbage before
    • View Profile
    • http://swfanon.wikia.com/wiki/User:Darth_Depressis
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 07:45 PM »
i just hope this is handled alot better than Shadows was or even the clone wars.

so far we have massive contradictions all across the board:

shadows videogame: Dash Rendar is everywhere you wanna be!

shadows book: this feels alot more like a prequel to ROTJ than a midquel. no complaints there its just really sad that they couldn't have gotten a better author.

shadows comic: Boba Fett's story played out blow by blow(no complants) i just really wish this stuff was in the book. and the art is really so-so. much like all the 90's sw comics the cover is great and the inside looks like some nine year old drew it.

when it comes to the clone wars my beef is really over the way the cartoons and the books overlap and go over each others heads creating a massive mess. no retconing magic can patch this up.

i mean they ran a successful campaign from 02' to 05' and bungled the most important part, connecting to ROTS without error.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 7, 2007, 08:49 AM »
This is what I found most interesting about the article:

'Although the game features multiple endings, this novel will be one of the only places where fans will be able to find the official "canon" ending -- the definitive conclusion that will mold the events of the Star Wars galaxy for the future.'

I know that I've read on the boards multiple times that some fans only consider the 6 movies to be 'canon' and that everything else (books, video games, comics, etc) is EU.  I personally find it nice that the Official Site discusses a novelization of a video game as something that should be deemed 'canon'.  I don't think the debate will ever go away, but I think this gives some fans a little more ammo when discussing topics outside of the movies.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: March 8, 2007, 01:29 AM »
I don't, and here's why...

The novel and game, as I understand them, are having a heavy-hand from Lucas keeping things "as he wants them".  He's sending the books in before his TV show, which he's supposed to be heavily involved in...  If he's running the TV show, I'd consider it "canon".  As canon as the films are...  They say Lucas is writing it, and will have a hand in production and stuff... 

And thus he's supposedly heavy handed in the FU media tie-in to keep things as he wants them...

Now, if he's not, to me it just means nothing...  Canon is a term that gets thrown around by lots of people but isn't really applicable. 

What it could be is that all they're saying is the game will be open-ended and not linear at all to allow for gameplay issues.  The book will be set to start and end so it fits with the already established continuity (both canon and just the "official continuity" which is how LFL refers to EU materials), as Lucas wants it to be...  Canon?  Like I said, it's a word people throw around willy nilly, including SW.com...  The powers that be there have said the films are it though for canon, buuuuuuuttttt...  Like I said, if Lucas is really helming this multi-media thing and then down the road the TV Series (however many there are), he's obviously wanting it to fit perfectly and not tread on his vision...  Especially since FU is supposedly taking place during the time the live-action TV show is to take place.

This is kind of like Lucas and CLone Wars...  He didn't personally oversee that project's end and how it lead into Episode 3, and thus it's just part of the "Official Continuity", even though it fits seamlessly with the canon.  Lucas just gave them the ideas they could and couldn't go with. 

I think if anything this is a slip of the word canon where it's not applicable since LFL's official stance contradicts this...  Unless Lucas is running this personally, which I 100% doubt.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Corman

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gimmie that New Figure Mojo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 8, 2007, 12:51 PM »
And with this bit of news.....

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6167058.html?tag=latestnews;title;2

I wonder how that will screw up the book and the figures and everything else that was planned around this title.  Don't get me wrong.  I think the game should not be rushed and be as good as it can.  But to have it slip at least six months from the announced date is not good when you have other media partners releasing products that tie into your game.

Corman
There is nothing to read all the way down here.  If I had something else to say, I'd a said it in my post.  You may proceed to the next post.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 6, 2008, 11:23 PM »
will we know the name of Vader secret apprentice? What coonotation will this name have?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #7 on: July 7, 2008, 12:18 AM »
Some call him....."Tim".
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 11:42 PM »
I read the Force Unleashed Comic Book today... it was alright. I thought the characters were really well done, but the action sequences were a bit lacking. The artwork was extremely awesome... really gave me a Star Wars feel. I felt the story and plot were weak and unoriginal... I won't post anymore, but if someone wants to be spoiled, I'll PM you what I can remember. Alright, I'll do just one spoiler........................................

SPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILERSPOILER

The Secret Apprentice Dies. If the video games does the same thing, that's pretty weak. Beating the game = your character dying.

ENDSPOILERENDSPOILERENDSPOILERENDSPOILERENDSPOILERENDSPOILERENDSPOILERENDSPOILERENDSPOILERENDSPOILERENDSPOILERENDSPOILERENDSPOILERENDSPOILERENDSPOILERENDSPOILERENDSPOILERENDSPOILERENDSPOILERENDSPOILERENDSPOILERENDSPOILERENDSPOILERENDSPOILERENDSPOILERENDSPOILER

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 02:35 PM »
Makes sense to me. They really can't have this guy running around during the OT.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 11:04 PM »
I picked this book up last night at 30% off at Barnes & Noble. I'm going to wait until after I play the game to read it though. I think I'd rather be surprised when the game comes out instead of knowing what's going on before I even begin playing.
President - Tampa Star Wars Club
Co-Founder - Star Wars Grand Florida Alliance
Administrator - Wedge Collection Engine
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 02:59 PM »
Trying to avoid the spoilers, but I have a good idea I know what you just said...

ANYWAY!

I can't wait to pop this baby into my PS3... I wish someone would have a cool exclusive.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Books/Comics
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 07:39 PM »
Picked up the Force Unleashed Graphic Novel at B&N today... It was alright. It felt way too rushed, and the "romance" between Juno and Starkiller felt very forced. Hopefully the game will be better.

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 11:53 AM »
Slight spoiler*************************************************

the Rebel symbol is actually the family crest of Starkiller.  huh?  seems like the authors of the game book comic whoever just pulled that right out their buttocks and slapped it down into the storyline.

end spoiler**************************************************
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 10:35 AM »
Just finished the novel, pretty good, though I felt some of the action was forced.  I think it would have had a better flow if there had been more in between action.  It seemed the Apprentice went to a planet, fought some, then flew someplace else and fought some.  I guess that was needed, otherwise why would he need his own pilot, but still seemed rushed and forced.  I wasn't looking for filler, just more connecting material between his various missions.

When Juno was thinking about her old squadron mates, she mentioned "Red Stripe", was that a reference to (the future) Baron Fel?
I am not the Stig