Author Topic: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 189638 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #165 on: June 1, 2005, 11:49 PM »
Finished Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius and Foundation (which is AWESOME!) btw

I'm on to Storm of Swords from the Fire and Ice books...whee!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 22, 2005, 03:17 PM »
Last week I picked up the Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe and started reading it.  I read it a LOOONG time ago when I was quite young, and don't really remember much of it, but I wanted to read it again before the movie in December.  Although I will admit I haven't read a lot of "book" books (not comics, TPBs) for a little while now, but this book is a quick read and very easy to follow along with, which I like.  I'm really enjoying it, and should finish it up this week easily (time permitting).  Nice to be reading some books again, and I'm glad I picked it up.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #167 on: August 22, 2005, 03:21 PM »
I read my review of Narnia from a few years ago (page 3 or 4 I believe) and I think its still valid.  Lewis made up the stories as he went along (like G Lucas I guess) and so he had to make parts fit and go back in time and flesh things out.  Its a great work and in the end it is very well done, it was done a little haphazardly.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #168 on: August 22, 2005, 03:25 PM »
As for me, I'm reading this:

Its sort of a look at American History from the groups that were most negatively effected by the events (the Common people and American Indians of the Revolution, the Women post Revolution, the Slaves in the Civil War etc)

Interesting look at History.  Definitely a different spin off the standard textbook High School history class

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #169 on: August 22, 2005, 03:50 PM »
For leisure, I'm reading Children of the Jedi by Barbara Hambly.

Right now, I'm supposed to be reading the first two chapters out of my chemistry textbook. I think I've forgotten most of the stuff from my high school chemistry class, so this might be bad.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #170 on: August 22, 2005, 09:46 PM »
Just bought the 2005 Official Price Guide to Star Wars Memorabillia by Jeremy Beckett.

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #171 on: August 22, 2005, 09:46 PM »
Just bought the 2005 Official Price Guide to Star Wars Memorabillia by Jeremy Beckett.

How much are bootleg SW DVD's going for?

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 23, 2005, 06:15 PM »
i finished the davinci code a couple weeks ago and am working on angels and demons.   both are really good if you are not easily offended by very statistical and critical religious statements.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 23, 2005, 06:48 PM »
Winston Churchill: A History of the English Speaking Peoples Volume.I
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 26, 2005, 12:02 AM »

Well, not sure about the book, but at the Pgh. toyshow a few weeks back, they were going for $10 apiece.
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #175 on: August 26, 2005, 01:09 AM »

:-X

I thought they were selling for more than that at the show Bob?  I was reluctant to get one of the fan-films cuz of the price.  Felt like a butt-reeming for a guy just copying ****.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 26, 2005, 10:51 PM »
The fan-film DVD's were around $15, btu there was one dealer that had the bootlegs for $10ea. he also had war of the worlds, and something else.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #177 on: August 26, 2005, 11:08 PM »
I'd like a copy of the fan-films...  Those are worth owning a set of I think.  I'm only a fan of bootleg stuff if it's the only way to get something (IE: ROTS early...  I'll still buy my copy come time though like everyone else. :) ).

I didn't see a guy with $10 DVD's, dunno how I missed that. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 27, 2005, 09:26 AM »
Winston Churchill: A History of the English Speaking Peoples Volume.I

You're a brave soul reading Churchill.  Being a history major and teacher, I've wanted to read some of his stuff.  I sat down and tried to but it go so freakin' wordy I couldn't stand it. 

I'm about to pick up a new book, but I don't know what yet.  I just finished reading Splash One by Ivan Randall.  It's about the history of air to air jet combat.  Pretty good read if you're into that.  I've seen a book recently about Pararescue that I want to pick up.  I'm also reading through select chapters of a home buying guide.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 27, 2005, 02:31 PM »
I like the fan-films too, I have about 4 or 5 fan film DVD's, and that ever-popular Turkish Star Wars, etc. etc.

Always cool to have in the SW "library"