Author Topic: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 189663 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #180 on: August 27, 2005, 02:54 PM »
Uh, that thing about the bootlegs was a joke.  Beckett was selling Bootleg DVDs on Rebelscum 2  years ago.  He got all pissed off at me when I pointed out it was against the site rules, Pappy Wise actually sided with me on that one and he stopped selling them

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 28, 2005, 12:51 AM »
Reading Slave Counterpoint, about slavery prior to the civil war; A Glorious Cause by Middelkauph on the American Revolution, Lieut. Hornblower, Hatchett (my students are reading it so I have to stay ahead; its one I re-read every year); and then studying for my Praxius tests to move my teaching license to a level II license.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #182 on: August 28, 2005, 06:14 PM »
Uh, that thing about the bootlegs was a joke.  Beckett was selling Bootleg DVDs on Rebelscum 2  years ago.  He got all pissed off at me when I pointed out it was against the site rules, Pappy Wise actually sided with me on that one and he stopped selling them

Gotcha, heh, I didn't pick up on that.  :^)
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 30, 2005, 09:59 PM »
I'm currently reading "I, Jedi" by Micheal Stackpole. So far I'm lovin it. I love the way he has woven Corran Horn's story into the events of the Jedi Academy Trilogy. So far its been brilliant. Coran Horn is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #184 on: December 27, 2005, 02:23 PM »

I also read Eragon a few weeks ago.  Pretty good read for something written by a 15 year old.  Pretty formulaic in a LOTR and SW sense and I grew quickly tired of the overuse of his thesaraus.  But there is definitely some good imagination here and in the end I liked what he told.  So, I'd give it a chance if you dig fantasy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #185 on: December 27, 2005, 02:24 PM »

Oh... Santa left this one for me too!  Haven't cracked into it yet, but I think by the weekend I'll be able to revisit Westeros.   :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #186 on: March 16, 2006, 12:02 AM »
Finished Feast for Crows a while ago, I then read the crap EU Darth Vader book

And now, I'm rereading LOTR for like the 4th time.  Although its my first time after seeing all the EE's and since I read the Silmarillion, so its a ton better again than the other 3 times I thought it was the greastest book of all time

It really is

Next up:  It will be a while, just about done with Fellowship :P

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 16, 2006, 10:23 AM »
I've actually just started reading the Hobbit.  I've never read it, and was always interested, so I picked up a copy at Target and I'm digging in.  After that, I'd like to move onto the LOTR books, and see the "book versions" of the movies I enjoy.  I'm also considering going through the Harry Potter series next (haven't read those before either), but its tempting to just start with the next in the series (after the movies) first, but I should probably start from the beginning.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2006, 10:31 AM »
  but its tempting to just start with the next in the series (after the movies) first, but I should probably start from the beginning.

I would advise against that.  There's a lot of back story that's not shown in the movies that's in the books, especially Goblet of Fire.  Starting with Order of the Phoenix could confuse you (plus it's not the best of the series).  Start at the beginning, you'll enjoy them more.  Besides, all the books are fairly quick reads anyways.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2006, 10:38 AM »
That's kind of what I was thinking too Mikey.  I've heard the books have a lot more info than the movies, as is usually the case, and I didn't know if it would "match up" real well if I started in the middle of the book series.  I might have to start from the beginning.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 17, 2006, 10:01 AM »
Just to be fair, and so you don't think you've been misled. . .books 1 and 2 are pretty darned close to the movies.   There are some things that are richer, and a little more history, but it may not be earthshaking.  Books 3 and 4 though. .. holy crap.  LOTS more information. 

Either way, they are really fun reads!
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 18, 2006, 09:08 AM »
Last book finished: "The Dead Zone" by Stephen King

Just started reading: "American Psycho" by Bret Easton Ellis

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 20, 2006, 01:54 AM »
I'm most of the way through my second reading of Dune. First time I read it, I definitely thought it was a bit dense, but with the second pass, I'm absorbing so much more detail.  I'm going to start Dan Brown's Deception Point next. Funny story behind it. I bought it for my wife over a year ago and she lost it before reading it. Two days ago, it mysteriously reappeared and she read it in a day in a half. She said I'll love it.

On a side, yet related note, just today, I pulled HP and the Sorcerer's Stone off the shelf to give to my Daughter (who just turned 6) to read. She nearly made it through the first paragraph without any help (aside from names) so I think I'm going to help her read it all.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #193 on: May 13, 2006, 11:29 PM »
Finished Feast for Crows a while ago, I then read the crap EU Darth Vader book

And now, I'm rereading LOTR for like the 4th time.  Although its my first time after seeing all the EE's and since I read the Silmarillion, so its a ton better again than the other 3 times I thought it was the greastest book of all time

It really is

Next up:  It will be a while, just about done with Fellowship :P

I am STILL reading LOTR.  In fact I just got to the 2nd half of TTT where the book goes back to Frodo and Sam and Gollum. 

Still pissed how they handled Saruman in the movie.  I know they probably couldn't do the Scouring of the Shire and stuff but they should have killed him off in the theatrical release at least.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 13, 2006, 11:59 PM »
I'm in a "holding pattern" of sorts, waiting for the next Star Wars series to start, so I started re-reading my William Gibson stuff. Currently I'm reading "All Tomorrow's Parties" which, while not one of his best, it's still pretty good.