Author Topic: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 189751 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #390 on: May 8, 2008, 09:31 AM »
I've read five of Jules Verne's novels, there's a common theme of idealism in them all that permeates in one form or another in all the characters. It makes his work an interesting read. Another interesting factor is that, along side all the scientific analysis which admittedly sometimes bogs down the stories at times, there are also incredibly striking visual descriptions that just blow me away. He's one of my all time favorite writers.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 8, 2008, 10:49 AM »
I'm almost finished with the book now. I've really enjoyed it. I agree, the visual descriptions are some of the best I've ever read. The book has really kept my interest. Why couldn't I be allowed to read something like this in high school instead of painfully boring books like Wuthering Heights.
« Last Edit: May 8, 2008, 03:23 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 8, 2008, 11:46 AM »

Decent read for information, but seems to be "clinical" for lack of a better term.  It's proving and disproving a lot of things about the events of the Alamo and the leaders of the Texas Revolution.  It reads very much like a college textbook.
« Last Edit: May 8, 2008, 02:25 PM by Chris M »
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 8, 2008, 01:58 PM »
I'm almost finished with the book now. I've really enjoyed it. I agree, the visual descriptions are some of the best I've ever read. The book has really kept my interest. Why couldn't I be allowed to read something like this in high school instead of painfully boring books like Weathering Heights.

You had to read a book about enduring and surviving heights?  We had to read about Heathcliff and Catherine.............. ;)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 8, 2008, 03:24 PM »
Maybe that is why I couldn't get over the fact there wasn't any mountains to climb in the book.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #395 on: May 8, 2008, 07:53 PM »
Finsihed the first of Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty, moving on to book 2: Beauty's Punishment.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #396 on: May 10, 2008, 01:45 AM »

We're spending the final three class periods of Medieval Latin reading this, since it references a lot of the stuff we've been translating. It doesn't actually feel like work and it's a nice way to end the semester.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 11, 2008, 09:41 AM »
I Why couldn't I be allowed to read something like this in high school instead of painfully boring books like Wuthering Heights.

Seriously. Though, I did have to read Treasure Island in 8th grade. Ever since it's been my all time favorite book.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 12, 2008, 10:13 PM »
Just finished up the last two Narnia books.  I had put them off for a while and decided finally to do it.  Pretty glad I'm done.  I just picked up Runemarks by Joanne Harris and started reading that.  Pretty good stuff so far.  It's about the Norse gods and the world after Ragnarok.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 13, 2008, 10:04 AM »
Well the library didn't have Mysterious Island on CD so I picked up Douglas Adam's "So long and thanks for all the fish". Extreemly silly book. Why havn't the Muppets made these books into a movie? Kermit as Arthur Dent. Miss Piggy as Fenchurch. Gonzo as Ford Perfect. It would be great!

Now I'm on "The White Dragon" by Anne McCaffrey. I guess I'm in the last book of the original triliogy of Dragonriders of Pern books but that is all they had locally. I'll have to check online for the other two books.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 10:24 AM by Master_Phruby »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 14, 2008, 09:29 AM »
If only people knew how close Dragonriders of Pern came to being a TV series done by Ron Moore.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 14, 2008, 10:02 AM »
Yah, in 2002 Moore wanted to do a TV show on Pern but Warner Bros. changed his script so much it looked more like Buffy the Vampire Slayer so Moore refused to do it.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 15, 2008, 09:31 AM »
Exactly. They were on location, literally one day away from away from the start of filming when Warners pulled the plug.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 15, 2008, 11:13 AM »
Just started Champion's of the Force.  Not wild about the series, but I hadn't read it yet, so I'll finish it up.
I am not the Stig

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #404 on: May 17, 2008, 08:47 PM »
I just burned through this one in three hours today. I read it several times as a kid but I wanted to reread it before I see the film.

Also reading this one for school. It's basically a series of ruminations on the author's (a history professor's) many trips to China over the last two decades and putting his observations in a historical/political/sociological/current events context. It was published in 2007 so it's nice to read something up-to-date for once. :P

« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 03:04 AM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)