Author Topic: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 189760 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #435 on: June 25, 2008, 02:54 AM »
I've never read any of the Harry Potter books either, so that makes two of us.

As for me, I started reading this:

don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 25, 2008, 07:56 AM »
I've never read any of the Harry Potter books either, so that makes two of us.

*raises hand*  Make that three..........

I've always planned to start reading them when my son gets a little older and is ready to read them.  That way, I'll be his cool mom, 'cause I'll know what the hell he's talking about............. ;)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 25, 2008, 03:15 PM »
I haven't read any of the HP books either.  But today I'm picking up Shield of Lies from the library, its the second book in the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy.  They had to order it from another library because their copy is "Lost".  This library is one of the few in the area, that I can think of, that doesn't make you walk through the book detector, so someone probably walked out with it.  But really? An obscure Star Wars book?  Couldn't you have stolen something a little bit cooler?  Anyway, liked the first one in the series so I'm looking forward to this one.  I'm really hoping everything turns out of for Leia, Luke and friends, always seem to be getting in trouble...
I am not the Stig

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 25, 2008, 04:16 PM »
I just started reading The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Rings this week, and hope to go through that whole series here over the summer.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 25, 2008, 04:20 PM »
I just started reading The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Rings this week, and hope to go through that whole series here over the summer.

I loved reading (and re-reading) the Lord of the Rings.  Its brutal getting through that first chapter but then its a fun read  ;D

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 25, 2008, 04:22 PM »
Has anyone else tried to read the Silmarillion (sp?).  I don't often have getting through a book, but man that was a tough one.  I couldn't even keep straight who was who, Tolkien kept changing the names it seemed.  LOTR was a better read for me.
I am not the Stig

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #441 on: July 3, 2008, 02:33 PM »
I am currently reading Eldest...I like it a whole heck of a lot better than I liked Eragon, sure there is a lot of ripping off of LOTR and Star Wars still happening, but its a good story

Up next, not sure...I still haven't read Children of Hurin and its been sitting in my nightstand for over a year.  I also want to tackle LOTR again for some reason

As far as the Silmarillion, it is one of my favorite books and is well worth the struggle in my opinion.  It is a very, very difficult read and I agree, keeping track of the names is a bear but it does play out beautifully and you get a lot better idea of the whole mythology Tolkien created.  You understand The Hobbit and LOTR in a totally different way as well, especially since the Wizards and Gods and all of the other jazz are better fleshed out and explained

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 3, 2008, 03:22 PM »
I'm on to Dying to Tell   by Robert Goddard. Just a random book out of the library's mystery section.

Lance Bradley, idling his life away in the little Somerset town of Glastonbury, suddenly receives a call for help from the eccentric sister of his old friend Rupert Alder. Rupe appears to have vanished without trace. Reluctantly, Lance goes to London, to discover that Rupe?s employers want him tried for fraud. A Japanese businessman claims he has stolen a document of huge importance. And a private detective is demanding money for trying to trace, on Rupe?s behalf, an American called Townley, who was involved in a mysterious death at Wilderness Farm, near Glastonbury, back in 1963.

No sooner has Lance decided that whatever Rupe was up to is too risky to get involved in than he finds that he already is involved, and the only way out is to get in deeper still. Where is Rupe? What is the document he has stolen? Who is Townley? And what happened at Wilderness Farm nearly thirty years before that holds the key to a secret more amazing than Lance Bradley could ever have imagined?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 4, 2008, 03:34 PM »
I'm just starting this series now and liking it so far!

Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 4, 2008, 05:00 PM »
Really, really good book, especially if you are a baseball fan.  I'm even more so because I've always thought Tom Glavine is a great pitcher and person in an era of what's in it for me players.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #445 on: July 6, 2008, 10:42 PM »
Just finished 1777, reading World War Z now, will be reading John Adams next. I'm hoping to get my hands on some cheap used books - starting with Cormac McCarthy's The Border Trilogy.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 6, 2008, 11:57 PM »
Brad, do you mean 1776 instead of 1777?  Both that, and John Adams by McCullough are awesome books.  I tore threw that book.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 7, 2008, 01:06 AM »
I'm about 150 pages in, and so far it's excellent.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #448 on: July 17, 2008, 12:23 AM »

I'm going through the series as books for the first time. This is the first one where I haven't seen the corresponding film (for obvious reasons), so it's kind of weird to go into it completely naked, without the visuals and general memories of the plots.

This one's been on my "want to read" list for years.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 12:25 AM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 18, 2008, 11:57 AM »
About a third of the way through this and its starting to pick up a little in the action.  Definitely better than the swarm wars so far...

Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today