Author Topic: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 189679 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #30 on: August 1, 2003, 12:06 PM »
I finsihed the Hobbit, great little book and an absolute joy of a story.  Bilbo is a great little Hobbit.  It is a lot of fun to go back to books you haven't read for ages, it is like reading something entirely new!

Right now I am reading On the Road[/i] by Jack Kerouac...never read it before and I like it a lot so far.  Something I have forever dreamed about was just going out on the road and hitchhiking or driving the country, seeing the sites, meeting the people etc etc.  A kindred spirit no doubt...

I usually broden my horizons a lot in the summer, reading classic books I have never read.  I bought Grapes of Wrath and Tale of Two Cities as well last time I was at Barnes and Noble.  I've discovered Hemingway, Vonnegut and other great, great authors this way and while having been forced to read Steinbeck and Dickens in school there is always something to older and wiser so I hope I can find out again with all the fuss is about :-*  
« Last Edit: August 1, 2003, 12:13 PM by OCB »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 1, 2003, 12:09 PM »
I find this thread personally offensive.  

I CAN'T READ!!!!

:P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scouttrooper

• Youngling
  • HULK SMASH!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 1, 2003, 05:52 PM »
I am sure many will find this childish but im reading Harry Potter 5. Say what you will.  ;)
I am DARTH VADER from the planet VULCAN!

: Marty McFly from Hillvalley - A nice place to live, 1955

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #33 on: August 1, 2003, 08:05 PM »
Nah, it's not childish.  I'm reading it too.  About halfway through right now.  It's a little slow and contrary to most reviews I've read, JK Rowling's writing hasn't made any dramatic leaps.  Still, it's good.  And I love the creepy Big Brother aspect of the Ministry and Umbridge.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #34 on: August 1, 2003, 08:13 PM »
I am sure many will find this childish but im reading Harry Potter 5. Say what you will.  ;)

Not childish at all Scouttrooper!  Hell, I'm 33 years old, and most of my friends are reading the entire series!  My wife read book 5 last month, but since I left off at #2, I've got some catching up to do...  But everyone's reading the HP books - kids, adults, and everybody in between!

I remember being a little surprised about it when I first heard my best friend read the first one.  I asked why the heck he was reading a kid's book?!  But then, one by one (including my wife), everyone I knew was reading each and every one of them as soon as they were released.  Fun reading (and movies) with this boy wizard!  Very Star Wars-esque, as far as the overall story arc...   8)

So enjoy your book!

Offline Scouttrooper

• Youngling
  • HULK SMASH!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 2, 2003, 06:06 PM »
So thats what they say. Quoting X-men 2 for some reason.  ;D

Well I guess I you have shown me the light - I hope you enjoy the rest of the book Spuffy!  :)
I am DARTH VADER from the planet VULCAN!

: Marty McFly from Hillvalley - A nice place to live, 1955

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 3, 2003, 09:02 PM »
Im working on obtaining a copy of The Savage Nation...thats my next read...Im a fan of Dr. Savages radio show, and I listen to it most every night if I can.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2003, 10:08 AM »
Finished On The Road last night, great book.  Definitely not for the kiddies but a very good story of Road Tripping, the 40's, Jazz, Friendship, Relationships.  Great Book...

Moving on to the Chronicles of Narnia  This one might take a few weeks ;)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2003, 12:14 PM »
Tell me about it me, I am still reading Narnia, I am in the 5th Book (of the new Sequencing) The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.  Just about done with that and then Silver Chair and Final Battle to Go

So, my impressions so far is that I think Tolkein's critique of Lewis is fair.  He seems to have made the stories up as he went unlike the almost obsessive compulsive nature that Tolkein poured into Middle Earth.  The Biblical overtones are also very evident and I enjoy that part of the story very much.  

Great Books for children, Great Books for Adults...I recommend everyone read these especially if you are a fan of LOTR or Harry Potter

I am also very excited the LWATW is coming to the Silver Screen

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2003, 01:03 PM »
I'm reading Flowers in the Dustbin: The Rise of Rock and Roll From 1947 to 1977.
It's good stuff so far. I'm guessing by the title it ends with the rise and fall of punk and Elvis' death.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #40 on: December 2, 2003, 11:41 AM »
Finished off Narnia a few weeks back and Grapes of Wrath last night.  I had never read Wrath and it is a true classic.  The dichotomies played throughout the book are amazing...you are repulsed and inspired by the whole ordeal.  Damn Okies

Anyway up next is Harry Potter 5 I believe if my wife can find where she put it, otherwise I have a Tale of Two Cities which I want to read (I have read little if any Dickens and want to see what the fuss was about)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 2, 2003, 02:03 PM »
Waiting on a couple of paperback versions to get fired up (or Christmas):

Dark Tower V: Wolves of Calla (?) Stephen King is out in hardcover.  Might just re-read I-IV first.  

Blow Fly: Patriciap Cornwall is out in HC as well.  Probably wait out the paperback here as well.  Gotta love forensic entomology. ;D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #42 on: December 2, 2003, 03:56 PM »
I don't have time to really get into anything too deep as far as following plot, so right now I'm reading 'Anger' by Thich Nhat Hanh.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 2, 2003, 07:30 PM »
i'm still trudging through the new jedi order... almost done (about another 50 pages) with book 17  :o - force heretic 3:reunion, and then i have the last 2 books waiting for me. after that? i think i'm going to stop reading for awhile... i'm damn tired. i started reading vector prime (njo book 1) in late september and haven't stopped reading this damn njo series since.  ::)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 2, 2003, 08:55 PM »
I'm still working on "The Unifying Force".  I was hoping to go back and read Return of the King before the premier but I dont' think I'll get time. :-\
Beth