Author Topic: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 192637 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #450 on: July 19, 2008, 05:26 PM »
In the middle of Blaze by Richard Bachman (aka Stephen King).

Written circa 1973, this trunk novel, as Bachman's double (aka Stephen King) refers to it in his self-deprecating foreword, lacks the drama and intensity of Carrie and the horror opuses that followed it. Still, this fifth Bachman book (after 1996's The Regulators) shows King fine-tuning his skill at making memorable characters out of simple salt-of-the-earth types. Clayton Blaze Blaisdell has fallen into a life of delinquency ever since his father's brutal abuse rendered him feebleminded. King alternates chapters recounting Blaze's past mistreatment at a series of Maine orphanages and foster homes with Blaze's current plans to follow through on a kidnapping scheme plotted by his recently murdered partner in crime, George Rackley. Blaze talks to George as though he's still there, and the conversations give the tale tension, with Blaze coming across as a pitiable and surprisingly sympathetic contrast to prickly George. Despite its predictability, this diverting soft-boiled crime novel reflects influences ranging from John Steinbeck to James M. Cain.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 19, 2008, 08:40 PM »

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #452 on: July 20, 2008, 11:03 PM »
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 11:05 PM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 21, 2008, 09:32 AM »
Started on Treasure Island again. It's the first book that I ever read that I loved.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 21, 2008, 11:15 AM »
I just finished reading Bringing Down the House:

I saw the movie version earlier in the year and finally got a chance to read the book.  I enjoyed both for different reasons.  Very interesting story for sure.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 24, 2008, 01:30 AM »

I've tried twice to start this series but never got far into the first one before getting sidetracked. Going to give it a better effort this time.

I'm not sure why I'm starting a new epic series when I still have 500 pages of Deathly Hallows left ... maybe I'm unconsciously trying to put off hitting the end. :-\

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 25, 2008, 10:09 AM »
I'm on to "The Pearl Harbor Murders" by Max Allan Collins. This is one of the fiction history books where fiction is set against real events. So far its ok. It's kind of neat reading about Tarzan's creator Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Many believe a war with Japan is imminent, but author Edgar Rice Burroughs is too busy basking in the Hawaiian sun to pay the rumors much mind. That is, until he finds a young Japanese-American woman murdered on the beach.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 28, 2008, 12:42 AM »
Just about done with book 3 after a long trip at the cabin last week...

Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 30, 2008, 08:22 PM »
Just started on "Dark Lord" by Ed Greenwood. This is book one in the Falconfar series. This is kind of along the lines of the D&D/Forgotten Realms type books.

DARK LORD is the first of three novels in The Falconfar Saga. Rod Everlar is a writer who has created a fantasy world called Falconfar, into which he is drawn. There, he discovers that three dark wizards dominate the land. Now he must learn to seize control of Falconfar and find a way of defeating the corruption within. DARK LORD displays all the hallmarks of Ed's reputation for creating a richly realised fantasy setting, and characters that shine. Not to mention the lead chick runs around naked a lot.  ;)

« Last Edit: August 7, 2008, 03:14 PM by Master_Phruby »

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 31, 2008, 03:48 PM »

With the dark ascension of the Empire, and the Jedi Knights virtually wiped out, one Jedi who escaped the massacre is slated for a date with destiny–and a confrontation with Darth Vader.

Jax Pavan is one of the few Jedi Knights who miraculously survived the slaughter that followed Palpatine’s ruthless Order 66. Now, deep in Coruscant’s Blackpit Slums, Jax ekes out a living as a private investigator, trying to help people in need while concealing his Jedi identity and staying one step ahead of the killers out for Jedi blood. And they’re not the only ones in search of the elusive Jax. Hard-boiled reporter Den Dhur and his buddy, the highly unorthodox droid I-5YQ, have shocking news to bring Jax–about the father he never knew.

But when Jax learns that his old Jedi Master has been killed, leaving behind the request that Jax finish a mission critical to the resistance, Jax has no choice but to emerge from hiding–and risk detection by Darth Vader–to fulfill his Master’s dying wish.

Don’t miss the continuing adventures in the Coruscant Nights series, coming this Fall!

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: August 7, 2008, 03:08 PM »

One down, five to go. Plus God knows how many off the KJA/Brian Herbert spinoffs.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #461 on: August 7, 2008, 04:01 PM »

One down, five to go. Plus God knows how many off the KJA/Brian Herbert spinoffs.
What did you think?

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: August 8, 2008, 02:23 AM »
What did you think?

I wasn't as blown away as I was by LOTR, which it is sometimes compared to as a genre milestone, but it was pretty good. I'm a couple chapters into the second one and no complaints so far.

I know Herbert was writing the seventh one when he died, but do the first six constitute a preplotted arc like LOTR or the Potter books, or is each one more or less a standalone tacked on after the previous one?

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #463 on: August 8, 2008, 09:45 PM »
Finished John Adams, it was awesome. Now I'm reading Atlas Shrugged.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 8, 2008, 11:39 PM »
If you liked John Adams, might I also suggest reading "1776."  Excellent read, also by McCulloch about the early part of the war and the struggles of the American army.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.