Author Topic: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 191850 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #465 on: August 9, 2008, 01:20 AM »
What did you think?

I wasn't as blown away as I was by LOTR, which it is sometimes compared to as a genre milestone, but it was pretty good. I'm a couple chapters into the second one and no complaints so far.

I know Herbert was writing the seventh one when he died, but do the first six constitute a preplotted arc like LOTR or the Potter books, or is each one more or less a standalone tacked on after the previous one?
I think Herbert had an idea of where he wanted to go with it toward the end...really the first three are one complete arc and the last three are another with the 7th book sort of finishing the story

The first three are great, the others I didn't really care for too much.  I had a thread somewhere (here or at RS) about Dune and I was way in to it a few years back. 

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #466 on: August 10, 2008, 12:16 AM »
If you liked John Adams, might I also suggest reading "1776."  Excellent read, also by McCulloch about the early part of the war and the struggles of the American army.

Yeah, I read 1776 before John Adams. Both are awesome.

I'm about 400 pages into Atlas Shrugged, not even halfway, but its great so far.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 10, 2008, 02:18 AM »
With all the hype behind the coming movie, and the fact that I fell in love with the new trailer, I'm now reading this:

So far, so good.  It's really deep, much more than any other comic I've ever read.  I didn't realize it till I was probably 2 chapters in that there is a ton of stuff going on in the background of the frames that really informs the story...that's not like most other comics I've read before.  Unlike a lot of the comics/graphic novels I've read, I actually went back through after each chapter and looked at the artwork to see what things I missed during the read.

Now very interested to see this film.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 10, 2008, 03:00 AM »
Is that the Absolute Watchmen HC w/slipcase or the paperback version?

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 10, 2008, 03:09 PM »
I'm reading the $20 paperback version.  I just snagged the image off Amazon.com.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 10, 2008, 03:18 PM »
Ah, ok. I have the Absolute Watchmen & all the comics when they came out long ago, not the PB version but all the same. I'll have to dig them out & get back to reading them except Absolute as it's still sealed. Looking forward to the flick too.  ;D

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #471 on: August 11, 2008, 09:48 PM »

So far I'm liking it better than the second one, which was good but seemed to be missing something compared to the original.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 19, 2008, 03:30 PM »

First time reading through this. So far I'm enjoying it.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 19, 2008, 09:05 PM »
Now reading "Dragon's Fire" by Todd McCaffrey. So far I'm enjoying this one more than the White Dragon from a few months ago.

The McCaffreys' second fire-breathing collaboration (after 2003's Dragon's Kin) again proves why these fabled dragons still cast a spell. Pellar, a mute Apprentice Harper; Halla, a homeless girl; and Cristov, a miner's son, learn invaluable life lessons as the planet Pern prepares for the return of the deadly Red Star and its annihilating "Thread," which can only be destroyed by firestone-fueled dragonfire. But mining firestone is dangerous work, often carried out by children of disenfranchised criminals called the Shunned. Accompanied by his new fire-lizard Chitter, Pellar joins Masterharper Zist in a search for Moran, a missing Journeyman Harper who's involved with the Shunned. Pellar finds his fate intertwined with Halla, but his tangle with Tenim, a ruthless thief, almost keeps them apart. Their friend Cristov learns about the Shunned firsthand after a terrible mine explosion. Fortunately, events lead to dragon-riding wish fulfillment and a remarkable discovery. While it allegorizes the risks of mining fossil fuels and the horrors of slave labor, this coming-of-age fantasy offers suitable dragon play for all ages.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 20, 2008, 09:52 AM »
On multiple recommendations, I picked up "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson.  It's a non-fiction account of a hike on the Appalachian trail.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 20, 2008, 12:08 PM »
I finished "Watchmen" last week.  I didn't think it was quite as good as the hype behind it and it's a lot different then what I thought it was going to be.  Still, good, and I'm still looking forward to watching the movie when (if?  **** FOX) it comes out.

I might actually move on to the Karen Travis novel of the Clone Wars next.  Not sure.  That or play catch-up on the Legacy comics probably.

E...

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 20, 2008, 01:26 PM »
On multiple recommendations, I picked up "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson.  It's a non-fiction account of a hike on the Appalachian trail.

I read that one. Good story. Lots of swaring though but an enjoyable read never the less. No way I'm doing that trail though after reading what he went threw.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 21, 2008, 09:54 AM »

I read that one. Good story. Lots of swaring though but an enjoyable read never the less. No way I'm doing that trail though after reading what he went threw.

Funny thing is, my best buddy and I, who grew up next to the trail and camped out all the time together, have been talking about doing a portion one day.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 21, 2008, 03:46 PM »

I don't have the time or the system to play the game, I had to pass on the toys, and I doubt I'll get around to the comic, so this is likely to be the extent of my Force Unleashed experience.

I'm hoping to kill this, Traviss' Clone Wars novelization, Republic Commando: True Colors, and Tuesday's Coruscant Nights II: Street of Shadows before classes start after Labor Day.

Wish me luck. :P
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 04:00 PM by Nathan »

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 27, 2008, 08:06 PM »

So far, it's loads better than the movie.