Author Topic: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 190951 times)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #510 on: October 21, 2008, 11:58 PM »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #511 on: October 22, 2008, 12:02 AM »
I've heard good things about this book Nate. What do you think so far?
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 22, 2008, 12:46 AM »
Well I'm only 77 pages in so far. I don't know how familiar you are with the Traviss Republic Commando series and any of the fandom controversy attendant thereunto, but it's basically par for the course for the series: Mary-Sue Mandalorian-wanking, Jedi-bashing, and interminable navelgazing by the clone commandos. We get it, clones are people too, but you don't need to keep beating the same dead horse. On. Every. Page.

Traviss is a good writer from the nuts-and-bolts standpoint, but she really has no idea what makes the SW universe tick. I could go on and on but this isn't the venue. Suffice it to say that the less familiar you are with EU, the less you will be bothered by her interpretative leaps (read: errors that knowingly and willfully ignore fairly major parts of the film and spinoff continuity).

All that aside, it is the fourth part in an ongoing series and most of it won't make sense if you haven't read the previous ones. But if you enjoyed the other, this is in the same vein so by all means go for it....
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 05:03 PM by Nathan »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 24, 2008, 04:14 PM »
Currently reading "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde.

A lush, cautionary tale of a life of vileness and deception or a loving portrait of the aesthetic impulse run rampant? Why not both? After Basil Hallward paints a beautiful, young man's portrait, his subject's frivolous wish that the picture change and he remain the same comes true. Dorian Gray's picture grows aged and corrupt while he continues to appear fresh and innocent. After he kills a young woman, "as surely as if I had cut her little throat with a knife," Dorian Gray is surprised to find no difference in his vision or surroundings. "The roses are not less lovely for all that. The birds sing just as happily in my garden."
As Hallward tries to make sense of his creation, his epigram-happy friend Lord Henry Wotton encourages Dorian in his sensual quest with any number of Wildean paradoxes, including the delightful "When we are happy we are always good, but when we are good we are not always happy." But despite its many languorous pleasures, The Picture of Dorian Gray is an imperfect work. Compared to the two (voyeuristic) older men, Dorian is a bore, and his search for ever new sensations far less fun than the novel's drawing-room discussions. Even more oddly, the moral message of the novel contradicts many of Wilde's supposed aims, not least "no artist has ethical sympathies. An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style." Nonetheless, the glamour boy gets his just deserts. And Wilde, defending Dorian Gray, had it both ways: "All excess, as well as all renunciation, brings its own punishment."

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 27, 2008, 09:15 AM »
Been reading this online, clicky picture.  ;D

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 31, 2008, 03:07 PM »
Finished reading the sixth Charlie Bone and the Beast yesterday. Almost done with Dorian Grey.

Life should be perfect for Charlie now that his parents have been reunited. But mystery and adventure always find him. This time Asa, a fellow classmate who changes into a beast at dusk, and Charlie's sometime-enemy, is missing. His parents seek out Charlie for help. Manfred is holding Asa captive in a forest cave and now Charlie needs the help of the Flames to rescue his classmate.

Manfred has also taken the new endowed student, Dagobert Endless, under his wing and Charlie is highly suspicious of the pair. Can the Flames and Charlie rescue Asa without being caught by Manfred and Dagobert?

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 31, 2008, 04:54 PM »
Been reading this online, clicky picture.  ;D

:P

J/K. Nice find actually; I'm taking a gander at it now.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 1, 2008, 05:50 PM »
Finished Dorian Grey. Since we have an election on tuesday, I thought I would read "All the King's Men" by Robert Penn Warren.

This landmark book is a loosely fictionalized account of Governor Huey Long of Louisiana, one of the nation's most astounding politicians. All the King's Men tells the story of Willie Stark, a southern-fried politician who builds support by appealing to the common man and playing dirty politics with the best of the back-room deal-makers. Though Stark quickly sheds his idealism, his right-hand man, Jack Burden -- who narrates the story -- retains it and proves to be a thorn in the new governor's side. Stark becomes a successful leader, but at a very high price, one that eventually costs him his life. The award-winning book is a play of politics, society and personal affairs, all wrapped in the cloak of history.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 2, 2008, 12:10 AM »
Phruby, I can't believe how many books you plow through.  Sheesh, you are a reading machine!

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 2, 2008, 08:47 PM »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 3, 2008, 11:03 AM »
Phruby, I can't believe how many books you plow through.  Sheesh, you are a reading machine!

I have about two hours each night to read. My wife is even faster. She brings home a stack each week from the library that she mows thru. I just typically have the one for the week. I think "all the kings men" will take about 2-3 weeks. It's a long book.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 3, 2008, 02:09 PM »

I have about two hours each night to read. My wife is even faster. She brings home a stack each week from the library that she mows thru. I just typically have the one for the week. I think "all the kings men" will take about 2-3 weeks. It's a long book.

Its great you give yourself so much time to read.  I fall into the other trap of finding myself watching TV instead :)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 3, 2008, 09:05 PM »

No kids I take it?   :-X

I'm just starting Legacy: Inferno...Sacrifice was the best of the series so far IMO
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 4, 2008, 11:14 AM »

No kids I take it?   :-X

I'm just starting Legacy: Inferno...Sacrifice was the best of the series so far IMO

We've got three kids.  1 year old, 4 year old and 8 year old.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 4, 2008, 11:50 AM »
What do they do when you are reading, or is it after they go to bed?
I am not the Stig