Author Topic: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 190528 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #540 on: November 22, 2008, 12:59 AM »
I picked up an Isaac Asimov collection of short stories. I've been digging short stories lately.

Maybe you have ADD?

Wait, what were we talking about?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: November 22, 2008, 10:19 AM »
I picked up an Isaac Asimov collection of short stories.

Good choice. You can't go wrong with Asimov.

Being such a Sci-fi fan, I'm embarrassed to admit that this is the first Asimov material I've ever read.  :P
Gotta say that I'm hooked now.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: November 22, 2008, 08:05 PM »
Finished "All the Kings Men" and now starting For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway.  It's funny how the classics are alot more fun to read when you don't have to read them for school.

For Whom the Bell Tolls begins and ends in a pine-scented forest, somewhere in Spain. The year is 1937 and the Spanish Civil War is in full swing. Robert Jordan, a demolitions expert attached to the International Brigades, lies "flat on the brown, pine-needled floor of the forest, his chin on his folded arms, and high overhead the wind blew in the tops of the pine trees." The sylvan setting, however, is at sharp odds with the reason Jordan is there: he has come to blow up a bridge on behalf of the antifascist guerrilla forces. He hopes he'll be able to rely on their local leader, Pablo, to help carry out the mission, but upon meeting him, Jordan has his doubts: "I don't like that sadness, he thought. That sadness is bad. That's the sadness they get before they quit or before they betray. That is the sadness that comes before the sell-out." For Pablo, it seems, has had enough of the war. He has amassed for himself a small herd of horses and wants only to stay quietly in the hills and attract as little attention as possible. Jordan's arrival--and his mission--have seriously alarmed him.

"I am tired of being hunted. Here we are all right. Now if you blow a bridge here, we will be hunted. If they know we are here and hunt for us with planes, they will find us. If they send Moors to hunt us out, they will find us and we must go. I am tired of all this. You hear?" He turned to Robert Jordan. "What right have you, a foreigner, to come to me and tell me what I must do?"

In one short chapter Hemingway lays out the blueprint for what is to come: Jordan's sense of duty versus Pablo's dangerous self-interest and weariness with the war. Complicating matters even more are two members of the guerrilla leader's small band: his "woman" Pilar, and Maria, a young woman whom Pablo rescued from a Republican prison train. Unlike her man, Pilar is still fiercely devoted to the cause and as Pablo's loyalty wanes, she becomes the moral center of the group. Soon Jordan finds himself caught between the two, even as his own resolve is tested by his growing feelings for Maria.

For Whom the Bell Tolls combines two of the author's recurring obsessions: war and personal honor. The pivotal battle scene involving El Sordo's last stand is a showcase for Hemingway's narrative powers, but the quieter, ongoing conflict within Robert Jordan as he struggles to fulfill his mission perhaps at the cost of his own life is a testament to his creator's psychological acuity. By turns brutal and compassionate, it is arguably Hemingway's most mature work and one of the best war novels of the 20th century.

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: November 23, 2008, 09:40 AM »

Just finished reading "Slash" so now I've picked up the above.  For you guys that have served, you will find the humor in it.  It gives an interesting look into how the Army works and the kinds of personalities you deal with, in whatever branch you may come across or serve in.  Very humorous.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #544 on: November 23, 2008, 12:46 PM »
Finished "All the Kings Men" and now starting For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway.  It's funny how the classics are alot more fun to read when you don't have to read them for school.

That is probably my favorite book of all time, I went through a serious Hemingway kick about 6-7 years ago...I gobbled up everything I could and absolutely adore each and every book he wrote.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #545 on: December 1, 2008, 02:00 AM »
« Last Edit: December 1, 2008, 02:32 AM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 1, 2008, 09:37 AM »
My buddy loaned my I Am Legend. I'll be getting to that soon.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 1, 2008, 02:23 PM »
A friend of mine just finished "I am legend" and thought it was the most depressing book he's ever read.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 3, 2008, 09:12 AM »
My wife finished it in a day. She liked it, but liked the movie better.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 4, 2008, 05:11 AM »

A little light bedtime reading. Oy.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: December 4, 2008, 09:36 AM »
My wife finished it in a day. She liked it, but liked the movie better.

You need to catch the Vincent Price version next time its on TCM.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: December 4, 2008, 02:35 PM »
I'm currently reading "Walk this Way" about the band Aerosmith.  It cover's from the band's introduction to music as kids, through their forming the band all the way up to the 90's. And it goes into great detail about their drug abuse and how often times their emotions at those times helped them create their music.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 8, 2008, 12:40 PM »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 10, 2008, 10:12 AM »
Currently reading "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad. It will be interesting to see how it differs from Apocalypse Now.

Loosely based on Conrad’s firsthand experience of rescuing a company agent from a remote station in the heart of the Congo, the novel is considered a literary bridge between the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. With its modern literary approach to questions such as the ambiguous nature of good and evil, the novel foreshadows many of the themes and techniques that define modern literature.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 11, 2008, 09:56 PM »
Has anyone read the new Legacy spin off Millennium Falcon book? I hear they are making a sequel series to Legacy, which is good because there were a lot of unanswered questions and story lines that just ended.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D: