Author Topic: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 190833 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #660 on: May 14, 2009, 10:25 AM »
More than that, I'm a freakin' moderator on a Star Wars board talking about books.

:-X

Should be wrapping up No Country For Old Men in the next day or two - so far Cormac McCarthy is 2 for 2 with me. Can't wait to pick up more of his work.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 10:26 AM by Angry Ewok »

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #661 on: May 15, 2009, 09:33 AM »
Finished No Country. All in all, a very good book. The movie is actually just as good as the book, I think.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 15, 2009, 10:31 AM »
I'm currently reading Cradle by Arthur C Clark. Not as good as the Odyssey series. On tap: Band of Brothers and the latest two collections of the comic series Powers.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 15, 2009, 12:44 PM »
Band of Brothers is a great book.  I read it several times before I even knew about the HBO series.  Anything by the late Stephen Ambrose is a phenomenal read.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 17, 2009, 06:56 PM »
Now starting "Odd Thomas" by Dean Koontz.

Once in a very great while, an author does everything right-as Koontz has in this marvelous novel. Odd Thomas, who narrates, is odd indeed: only 20, he works contentedly as a fry cook in a small fictional California town, despite a talent for writing. The reason for his lack of ambition? A much rarer talent: Odd sees and converses with ghosts, the lingering dead who have yet to pass on, a secret he has kept from nearly everyone but his girlfriend, an eccentric author friend and the local police chief, whom he occasionally helps solve terrible crimes. Odd also has the ability to see bodachs, malevolent spirits that feast on pain and whose presence signifies a likelihood of imminent violence. The proximity of bodachs to a weird-looking stranger in town, whom Odd dubs "Fungus Man," alerts Odd that trouble is brewing; breaking into Fungus Man's house, Odd discovers not only hundreds of bodachs but a shrine to serial killers that helps him deduce that somehow Fungus Man will wreak widespread havoc very soon-so Odd is caught in a classic race against time to deter catastrophe. As with Koontz's best novels, this one features electrifying tension and suspense, plus a few walloping surprises. But Koontz fans know that the author has recently added humor to his arsenal of effects, and this thriller also stands out for its brilliant tightrope walk between the amusing and the macabre; one of the dead with whom Odd interacts frequently, for instance, is Elvis, still pining for his long-dead mother, Gladys. Above all, the story, like most great stories, runs on character-and here Koontz has created a hero whose honest, humble voice will resonate with many. In some recent books, Koontz has tended to overwrite, but not here: the narrative is as simple and clear as a newborn's gaze. This is Koontz working at his pinnacle, providing terrific entertainment that deals seriously with some of the deepest themes of human existence: the nature of evil, the grip of fate and the power of love.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #665 on: May 18, 2009, 12:04 PM »
Reading Absalom! Absalom! by Faulkner. Pretty much hate it.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: May 23, 2009, 12:01 AM »
Now reading "Ghost" by Alan Lightman.

In this smartly paced novel from the author of Einstein's Dreams, a divorced, former banker witnesses a supernatural event, inspiring him to continue the search for something that has hovered in the back of his mind throughout his life. A promising, handsome student in his younger years, middle-aged David struggles to restore order to his life and relationships after being sacked from his middling bank job. The search leads him to the local funeral home, where he takes a job as an apprentice among a cast less hip than the Six Feet Under crew, but compelling in a quieter way—the director, Martin, is a fatherly figure whose allegiance to his inherited profession rules an existence otherwise restricted by severe agoraphobia. After David has a vision he can't describe in words in the home's slumber room, he gets agitated to the point where he is compelled to confess to a loose-lipped friend. Soon, David's vision becomes a local media event, with unwanted consequences. Familiar questions about the existence of God, life after death and the fluidity of time arise, and the cast doesn't get the detail it deserves. But the momentum that builds alongside David's ensuing psychological turmoil is enough to carry the story.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #667 on: May 23, 2009, 03:10 AM »
The Sound And The Fury, for me.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: May 23, 2009, 06:28 PM »
Ms. Austen's "Pride and Prejudice".  What I hated in high school lit.. I'm thoroughly enjoying now.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: May 24, 2009, 12:22 AM »
It's funny. When forced to read a book for a grade, you hate it but when reading it on your own you love it.

Sounds like you are going to have to go thru all the Jane Austen books. After you do, you should read The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. It's about a bad guy that jumps into Austen's Jane Eyre in order to mess up the ending. Thursday Next, a literary detective,  must track him down and set the book right again. Very funny book.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #670 on: May 24, 2009, 11:41 AM »
I think it was in this thread in which I admitted to never read The Count of Monte Cristo (Crib Notes baby) in 9th grade.  I read it a few years ago and it is phenomenal.   :)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: May 25, 2009, 12:47 AM »
I think it was in this thread in which I admitted to never read The Count of Monte Cristo (Crib Notes baby) in 9th grade.  I read it a few years ago and it is phenomenal.   :)

Agreed. I really enjoyed the Count.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 12:47 AM by Master_Phruby »

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #672 on: May 25, 2009, 01:05 AM »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #673 on: May 26, 2009, 09:41 AM »
I actually quit reading The Sound And The Fury, yesterday. It's rare I do that, I usually tough books out... but I just got disgusted with having to re-read lines over and over again to try and figure out who the **** is talking to who. It's official, I hate William Faulkner.

Now I'm giving A Portrait Of An Artist As A Young Man a shot. A difficult read, thus far, but at least it's written to make sense.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: May 26, 2009, 09:59 AM »

Two chapters in right now and he's very graphic in some of his descriptions...wow!!!!  I'll look forward to seeing his perspective on Motley Crue and what happened to them for 20 years.  This book is a few years old and was written when he had separated from the band.  Obviously they are back together, so some of his more recent thoughts/opinions may have changed.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.