Author Topic: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 191351 times)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #675 on: May 26, 2009, 05:16 PM »
Now I'm giving A Portrait Of An Artist As A Young Man a shot. A difficult read, thus far, but at least it's written to make sense.

Brad, have you read The Dubliners? It's the only Joyce I've read but it's quite good.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 05:18 PM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: May 27, 2009, 01:14 AM »
Finished Odd Thomas, now reading "Children of the Storm" by Elizabeth Peters.

A fast-moving, intrigue-filled plot propels MWA Grand Master Peters's 15th novel (after 2002's The Golden One) to feature beloved archeologist and amateur sleuth Amelia Peabody Emerson. The end of WWI offers Amelia, now a grandmother, and her family little respite when mysterious events start to plague friends, allies and coworkers. One person dies after suddenly turning to religion, while others fall victim to sabotage. Valuable artifacts go missing, and Amelia's son Ramses is lured into a bizarre encounter with a woman who appears to be the living embodiment of the goddess Hathor. Given the growing unrest against British rule in Egypt, Amelia has to wonder if politics are behind the strange occurrences. In addition, the clan has made many enemies over the course of their adventures. While the preface does a good job of outlining the characters and their complicated connections, the previous 14 novels covered a lot of ground that new readers will find challenging to master. Nonetheless, this is an enjoyable read in its own right, powered by evocative depictions of 1919 Egypt and the engaging voice of Amelia herself-a bright, independent woman, who relishes her role as family matriarch. Her affectionate, give-and-take relationship with her Egyptologist husband, Emerson, continues to enchant.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #677 on: May 27, 2009, 12:14 PM »
Now I'm giving A Portrait Of An Artist As A Young Man a shot. A difficult read, thus far, but at least it's written to make sense.

Brad, have you read The Dubliners? It's the only Joyce I've read but it's quite good.

No I haven't, but it's included in the book, so I'll get to it.  8)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #678 on: May 27, 2009, 03:26 PM »
The Witching Hour
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: May 31, 2009, 05:46 PM »

Finally finished The Silmarillion. After this, I'll read Children of Húrin, then reread The Hobbit and LOTR, then see how far I can make it into the History of Middle-earth series.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: May 31, 2009, 09:38 PM »
Just starting the Witches of Eastwick by John Updike.

John Updike astutely recognizes the modern American suburb, with its hypocritical social mores and superstitions, as a rich literary setting. Into this milieu he introduces the fantastical and invents a tale of what life would be like for three divorced and bored housewives, who happen to be witches, living in such a place -- the fictitious Eastwick, Rhode Island -- in the late 1960's. It's like Updike is channeling Nathaniel Hawthorne through "Rabbit Redux."
The women are Alexandra Spofford, a sculptress, Jane Smart, a cellist, and Sukie Rougemont, the local gossip columnist. They drink a lot, neglect their kids, have sex with married men, and cast spells to torment their enemies, who are usually their lovers' wives; they have the traditional witchlike manners of being vindictive, temperamental, and spiteful. They've never desired a man in common until they meet a vaguely devilish fellow named Darryl Van Horne who has bought an old mansion on the outskirts of town. Van Horne is quite mysterious: He's a Manhattanite, a pianist, a collector of tacky nouveau art, and a renegade scientist, trying to discover impossibly efficient methods of generating electricity. He takes an interest in Alexandra's crude little sculptures, accompanies Jane in some sonatas, and encourages Sukie to write novels. He invites them to play tennis (where their magic lends itself to some creative cheating) and partake of the orgiastic pleasures of his hot tub.

The witches' auras induce strange and tragic effects on the lives of their lovers. Ed Parsley, the Unitarian minister, runs off to join the anti-war movement, leaving his churlish wife Brenda to take over the pulpit. Clyde Gabriel, the editor of Sukie's newspaper, is stuck with a gabby wife who gets her satisfaction from finding fault with everything. But it's the Gabriels' adult daughter Jenny that serves to drive a wedge between the witches and Van Horne. When Jenny shows up in town from Chicago, Sukie takes pity on the seemingly pathetic girl and invites her to join the "coven" at Van Horne's mansion. Jenny attracts Van Horne's amorous attentions, but his intentions, it turns out, confound even the witches' intuition.

Popular culture has interpreted the witch mystique as a form of feminine self-empowerment -- women willing themselves to be able to act in retribution or defense against men's hurtful actions -- so it makes sense that the witches in the novel imply that witchcraft is an untapped power all women have, particularly those who have been hurt by or are unhappy with the men in their lives. And it makes sense for Updike to have set the novel in the era of the Women's Movement of the 1960's, where witchcraft would have shed a new, different light on liberation. Are the witches of Eastwick liberated? Probably so, but it's too bad they're so miserable nonetheless.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 8, 2009, 11:46 PM »

Taking a tangent to read this. Most of it is already in Unfinished Tales, so I'm reading this fuller version then skipping over that part of UT.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: June 9, 2009, 10:33 AM »
Totally unoriginal, but I just re-read Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince in preparation for the movie next month.  I don't think I had read this one since its initial release, and I really enjoyed it once again.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: June 13, 2009, 07:45 PM »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: June 15, 2009, 07:31 PM »
Currently reading this.

Danny Goldberg worked with some of the most significant rock artists of the past 30+ years, and gives some insight into the business behind the music.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 15, 2009, 09:55 PM »

Good analysis on the founding fathers.  The author is not PC, which is a nice break from a lot of stuff these days.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: June 17, 2009, 03:45 AM »

It's actually a good deal better than the mega-low-rent cover makes it look, I promise.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: June 17, 2009, 11:12 AM »
Finished Witches of Eastwick which ended up being nothing like the movie but the hot tub sections were fun. >:D

On to "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain.

Huckleberry Finn had a tough life with his drunk father until an adventure with Tom Sawyer changed everything. But when Huck's dad returns and kidnaps him, he must escape down the Mississippi river with runaway slave, Jim. They encounter trouble at every turn, from floods and gunfights to armed bandits and the long arm of the law. Through it all the friends stick together - but can Huck and Tom free Jim from slavery once and for all?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 17, 2009, 11:32 AM »
I finished up HP and the Half Blood Prince a couple of weeks ago (in prep for the movie), and felt like just moving on and re-reading Deathly Hallows again, so I'm mid-way through that now.  I don't think I've had a chance to read it since it was initially released, so it has been nice to get back to it.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: June 21, 2009, 05:07 PM »

The pic above is the Kindle version, but it's also available as a free PDF on the author's site here, which is what I'm reading.

ORIGIN by JA Konrath

1906 - Something is discovered by workers digging the Panama Canal. Something dormant. Sinister. Very much alive.

2006 - Project Samhain. A secret underground government installation begun 100 years ago in New Mexico. The best minds in the world have been recruited to study the most amazing discovery in the history of mankind. But the century of peaceful research is about to end.

BECAUSE IT JUST WOKE UP.

In reality, Satan is not a handsome gentleman as portrayed by a Hollywood leading man. Viewing him through the Plexiglas, he's a frightening beast, massively muscled, with hoofs the size of washtubs and the serrated teeth of a carnivore. The demon can be pleasant, even chatty, and delights in showing off his power of resurrecting the dead sheep he dines upon. To some of the staff studying him at the secret government compound, he's even likable.

That is, until he breaks out...

ORIGIN is a mainstream thriller combining the techno-science of Jurassic Park with the theological horror of The Exorcist.

Billions around the world fear the concept of the devil.

Now they'll have a chance to fear him in person.