Author Topic: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 189680 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2004, 09:56 AM »
Yeah I loved rereading LOTR after TTT and I might do it again soon...it was so great seeing the book come to life again, read the snippets of text they used in the movies, Minas Tirith was dead on for me description wise, it was almost uncanny

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2004, 02:00 PM »
There's no writing in it, but I've been laughing my ass off at 'The Book of Bunny Suicides'. I was standing in line for a mocha at Barnes and Noble, saw this book, and have been laughing at it ever since.

Highly recommended for those afflicted with sick senses of humor. :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2004, 02:11 PM »
The 12th Planet,Stairway to Heaven,and The Wars of Gods and man,are all superb!Infact,most of Sitchins are.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2004, 01:40 PM »
Ever have books that are just impossible to read?  The first time I read Crime and Punishment I found it really hard to keep track of the characters and names (and nicknames) the second time went a ton better and it is one of my all time favorite books

Then I read Brothers Karamazov and just about died, it was a ton worse, I kept falling asleep 3 pages into it and though I slogged through, it was the hardest book to finish

So now I'm reading Tale of Two Cities having made a vow to at least check out Dickens, good story really so far but I suffer from the same falling asleep syndrome, it is impossible to read more than 10 pages at a time and at 400 pages total its going to be a long time before I can get on to more exciting fare :-\

I did read The DaVinci Code last Monday on my way down to Houston, great book, sort of reminded me of The Last Crusade though a little too much ;)

smileyfaceguy

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2004, 02:47 PM »
OCB, if I may be so bold as to make a recommendation, your avatar leads me to believe that you might enjoy Fargo Rock City by Chuck Klosterman.  Best book I've read in a long time.  

:)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2004, 02:51 PM »
Man, that book just lept to the top of my rather lengthy reading pile.  Recommendation taken smileyfaceguy :)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2004, 03:01 PM »
after finally finishing up the entire njo series (can you say 18 sw books in 6 months?) i just finished the dark tower book 1: the gunslinger, and am starting on dark tower book 2: drawing of the three... i picked up the newest book a while back while i was reading the njo series, but i wanted to go back and re-read the first 4 before i jumped into book 5. also just got the newest tim zahn/star wars book in the mail, so that's waiting till after book 5 is done.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2004, 12:29 PM »
I finally finished Tale of Two Cities last week, took forever.  In the end I liked it!  Its so detailed and Dickens prose is pretty winded that it takes a really long time to get straight who is who and what is what.  Its a pretty good story, chock full of his take on the French Revolution (which seems a ton worse than I ever thought it was...)  This is all through Dickens English eyes though so the account is slanted to what he wants it to be.  I am really glad though that I ended up liking it, because I've read a couple of books that were the same long, hard reads and in the end I absolutely hated them...whew

So, I jumped right into Catch 22.  I like it so far, lots of characters (one of the most difficult things for me while reading is trying to keep track of who's who again, which is probably why back in the day I stopped reading LOTR the first time).  Lots of sarcasm almost in a Vonnegut type vein.  I'm really interested to see where this goes.

I have a bunch of books on my shelf waiting to be read:

Dune
Ulysses
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
LOTR
Fargo Rock City

smileyfaceguy

« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2004, 02:47 PM »
OCB,  

You have some long books ahead of you before you get to Fargo Rock City, so in case I'm not still alive around by the time you get to it, I'll just tell you now:  I'm glad you liked it.

;)

Offline Lemon-Viper

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mudhole? Slimy? My home this is.
    • View Profile
    • Son of Bob.homestead.com
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2004, 06:58 PM »
Just finished reading Heir to the Empire for the second time.  I'm starting Dark Force Rising  now.  I've read the series when it first came out and need a refresher, plus I havn't been able to find much else I want to read recently...
Stressed out?  Poop.  It'll make you feel better.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2004, 07:03 PM »
Sun Tzu's Art of War, again.

Offline Lemon-Viper

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mudhole? Slimy? My home this is.
    • View Profile
    • Son of Bob.homestead.com
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2004, 07:21 PM »
My brother-in-law just got done with that one.  He said it was really good but his copy had some dude's interpretations of Sun Tzu's writings (that he didn't agree with) in between paragraphs.  
Stressed out?  Poop.  It'll make you feel better.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2004, 07:34 PM »
Yeah, I belive I have the same copy as him, the interpritations can be pretty good at times, while others just seem kinda off.

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #73 on: April 3, 2004, 01:15 PM »
I don't really have much time to read lately...

I read a ton of comic books and occupational related texts (art teacher), but haven't sat down a read a good novel for a while... The latest 'Dark Tower' by Stephen King is next on my list though.

Here are some recommendations:

- 'Ender's Game' by Orson Scott Card
- 'Don't Worry He Won't Get Far On Foot' by John Callahan!!!
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #74 on: April 3, 2004, 08:15 PM »
Right now:

Around the World in 80 Days
Foundation (Asimov)

I've been on a bug Sci-fi classics binge lately.  Hmm.