Author Topic: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 189734 times)

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2004, 09:03 AM »
A friend of mine, James Grant, just had his first novel published: Pedestrian Wolves. He's got a dry, sardonic style some of you guys might dig...

Revenge

« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2004, 01:02 PM »
He's got a dry, sardonic style some of you guys might dig...

Just like the greasy faced teenagers working at my local McDonalds. And I don't have to give them 18 dollars to be that way.

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2004, 04:16 PM »
Yeah, but he speaks English and can conjugate a sentence correctly. Let's see your fancy-pants McDonald's teen do that!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #108 on: September 8, 2004, 04:17 PM »
Finished up Brave New World, classic, 'nuff said.  On to Dune Messiah, great read so far and I'm enjoying it very much.  Got lots of books ready for the winter coming up...I eventually want to revisit Middle Earth as well

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 8, 2004, 05:11 PM »
I've been reading J.L. Bournes Day By Day Armageddon. Fantastic book, and I hear the sequale is setting up to be fantastic.

Kevin

Gonna start some UFO book over vacation while in North Carolina.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 9, 2004, 12:26 AM »
Magician
Again, for some reason thats hard to explain i just love it that and Edding's Belgarion series
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline HWR

• Jedi Initiate
  • Finally I have returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2004, 01:50 PM »
Just finnished a really old novel from 1895, about the evil mastermind Dr. Nikola, who has inspired to newer villains such as Ernst Stravo Blofeld and Fu Manchu.

Next:
Isac Asimov : The Gods Themselves

I really have a lot of books waiting to be read, mustly sci-fi, crimes, adventures, World War II novels and tha kinda stuff, but also classics by eg. Ernest Hemmingway.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 01:51 PM by Henrik Wulff Rasmussen »
Collector of vintage loose Star Wars figures and variations.
Three time sponsor and presenter at the Celebration Europe Collector Track.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #112 on: October 5, 2004, 04:14 PM »
Currently Reading A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.  Got a recommendation on this one somewhere, can't remember where exactly.  Written not too long ago its a Fantasy Novel that weighs in around 800 pages long.  Deeply complex with lots of different Kingdoms and Rulers and Factions.  Lots of stuff going on but very much enjoyable. 

I've read reviews saying that GoT is the Modern Day LOTR and instead of everyone copying the Quest Saga of LOTR (ala the Wheel of Time series), they will be doing Game of Thrones knock offs.  BTW, there are 4 total chapters so far of a planned 6.  I recommend checking it out

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #113 on: November 16, 2004, 12:11 PM »
Currently Reading A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.  Got a recommendation on this one somewhere, can't remember where exactly.  Written not too long ago its a Fantasy Novel that weighs in around 800 pages long.  Deeply complex with lots of different Kingdoms and Rulers and Factions.  Lots of stuff going on but very much enjoyable. 

I've read reviews saying that GoT is the Modern Day LOTR and instead of everyone copying the Quest Saga of LOTR (ala the Wheel of Time series), they will be doing Game of Thrones knock offs.  BTW, there are 4 total chapters so far of a planned 6.  I recommend checking it out
I'm on page 700 or so, so I'm almost done...and now I highly recommend checking this book series out.  I've never read something so interesting and greatly interwoven.

Short synopsis:  There is an old kingdom made up of 7 different lands.  A King rules them all and of course there will always be a power struggle of which one of the 7 rules the Kingdom.  To the far north a giant 40 foot Ice wall protects the kingdom from magical "others" who live beyond it.  Across the sea an exiled daughter of the former king is married to a tribal warlord who has an army of horse riders that can lay claim to the throne

So there is the plots within the kingdom, the threat to the north and the threat across the sea.  All of which have their own subplots and characters.

An absolutely awesome book...I can't recommend it enough

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2004, 01:23 PM »
I'm reading Angels and Demons.

Very fun.

Offline C

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 16, 2004, 01:27 PM »
rockin' through Paradise by Toni Morrison, Great Expectations by Dickens (for the umpteenth time) and Ulysses by Joyce.

all school-related and all enjoyable.

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2004, 11:29 PM »
I'm reading "Starship Troopers", it better get exciting fast before I put it back on the shelf.
You are starting to damage my calm.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2004, 10:27 PM »
I'm reading Angels and Demons.

Very fun.

Is about those two things, or somthing else?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2004, 09:51 AM »
I just dove into Clive Barker's "Books of Blood" again. I read these a while back, and they are great.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #119 on: November 23, 2004, 01:49 PM »
I'm on page 700 or so, so I'm almost done...and now I highly recommend checking this book series out.  I've never read something so interesting and greatly interwoven.

I picked up this book at B-&-N last night.  I was preusing the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section when I came across it.  I remembered Scott's , so I decided to give it a whirl.

Should have some good hours this weekend to dig into it... if it sucks, you owe me $7.99 plus tax.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender