Author Topic: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 189700 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #120 on: November 23, 2004, 01:50 PM »
It doesn't suck...I have about 50 pages left, great, great, great, great book

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 23, 2004, 04:00 PM »
Just finished Angels and Demons - I'm going to start Choke later this week - to see what the big deal is.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #122 on: November 23, 2004, 04:03 PM »
I liked Choke, probably my 2nd fav of Chuck's books, its a crazy story :)  Fight Club is still the best

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 23, 2004, 06:37 PM »
Yeah, I think Choke was my 2nd fav behind Fight Club as well. But I like all of this books, they were all great reads.

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 23, 2004, 10:07 PM »
I'm going to third that Choke is my second favorite Chuck book. Invisible Monsters is my third favorite.

Oddly enough I'm reading Chuck's Stranger Than Fiction right now, which has some pretty fun (and insightful) stories in it.

I have a copy of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell sitting on my nightstand right now just begging me to open it up and start reading, but I've been to lazy to start it.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 23, 2004, 10:37 PM »
I consider myself a reasonably avid reader - and I'm starting to think I'm the only person left who hasn't read any of his books...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #126 on: November 23, 2004, 10:40 PM »
I've read 4...Fight Club, Choke, Survivor and Invisible Monsters.  I think I read them one after another and have sort of taken a break...

I'm serious though about Game of Thrones...its fantastic

Check out the Amazon Reviews Although Don't Read too deep due to SPOILERS
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 10:42 PM by Scott »

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 23, 2004, 11:19 PM »
I've read 4...Fight Club, Choke, Survivor and Invisible Monsters.  I think I read them one after another and have sort of taken a break...

Any reason why you skipped Lullabye? Funny that you did, because I think it's his weakest, and my personal least fav of his books. It was an okay story and concept, but it just doesn't live up to the rest of his novels.

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 23, 2004, 11:35 PM »
Lullaby was a decent book, but definitely one of his weaker efforts. I'd have to say my personal least fave would be Diary.

Looking back now, I've read pretty much everything he's written. I was looking at the new Crichton book today at work, State of Fear, and I'm thinking I'll probably pick it up. It streets on Dec. 1, but one of the cool perks of my job is seeing stuff early.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #129 on: November 24, 2004, 12:04 AM »
I think because at the time I got a list of recommendations at GH (might have even been from Jamie) and those were the 4 I was told to read

New Crichton too!  Dang.  I've liked his last two (Prey and Timeline) a lot more than Airframe and The Lost World.  I still think people who though Jurrassic Park was cool are doing a diservice to the franchise but not reading the vastly superior Novel

In my reading I get on weird little kicks where I'll just go on long runs of reading the same author or genre.  I've read 3 Dune books this year or I read like 8 Carl Sagan books 3 years ago.  2 Years ago I read as much Hemingway as I could find.  When I was younger I read every Crichton and Clancy and Grisham there was for like 2 years.  I'm weird like that. 

But I just love to read, its one of the best things in the world to do because there is so much cool stuff to learn and experience and think about.  I hope my sons are in to it as much as I am, we read to Max every night and have for a long time. 

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 24, 2004, 12:17 AM »
I still think people who though Jurrassic Park was cool are doing a diservice to the franchise but not reading the vastly superior Novel

I loved the first Jurrassic Park novel. I also (unfortunately) read the 2 sequels, and thought both were very forced. It just seemed like someone at the movie studio told him he had to write a sequel or two so that they could make a few more films out of them. I think they both pretty much sucked.

In my reading I get on weird little kicks where I'll just go on long runs of reading the same author or genre.  I've read 3 Dune books this year or I read like 8 Carl Sagan books 3 years ago.  2 Years ago I read as much Hemingway as I could find.  When I was younger I read every Crichton and Clancy and Grisham there was for like 2 years.  I'm weird like that. 

Yeah, I definitely get on kicks like that myself. Like right now - I'm going through a bunch of Clive Barkers stuff... Books of Blood, Damnation Game, Cabal, Hellbound Heart, and a few others I have lined up already. And sometimes when I get on these kicks, I go back and read lots of older stuff, while I have a bunch of new, unread books sitting here waiting to be read. I probably have at least the last 4 or 5 of the SW Clone Wars books just sitting here, waiting to be started. But I'm way more into the horror kick right now, and I know that if I switch gears to the SW stuff I'm just not going to enjoy it at this moment.

But I just love to read, its one of the best things in the world to do because there is so much cool stuff to learn and experience and think about.  I hope my sons are in to it as much as I am, we read to Max every night and have for a long time. 

That's great. My parents read to me when I was growing up, and it had a huge impact on me picking up books on my own. Of course, because of that, I have bookcases and bookcases filled with books, because I have a real hard time getting rid of any. I read them and save them. Sometimes I lend them out, but I never throw them away or give them away.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #131 on: December 2, 2004, 02:02 PM »

I picked up this book at B-&-N last night.  I was preusing the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section when I came across it.  I remembered Scott's , so I decided to give it a whirl.

Should have some good hours this weekend to dig into it... if it sucks, you owe me $7.99 plus tax.

I think you're off the hook...

250+ pages into it and it's a great read.  Absolutely fantastic so far, I couldn't believe how quickly was I was sucked into the Seven Kingdoms.  :o  Scandal, Betrayal, Murder, Wolves, woo-hoo!

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #132 on: December 2, 2004, 02:04 PM »
Sweet!  I asked my wife for the next two books for Christmas and I'm actually mad I have to take this mini break...the fourth book is also coming out by the end of the year.

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 2, 2004, 04:02 PM »
Halfway into this one-

"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 2, 2004, 04:44 PM »
Working on Yoda - Dark Rendezvous right now.

Right after I finish that I'm onto

When Will Jesus Bring The Porkchops? by George Carlin

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback