Author Topic: JD Fantasy Baseball 2007  (Read 31575 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Baseball 2007
« Reply #135 on: July 6, 2007, 01:11 AM »
Sure glad I scooped up Lincecum again, he's been on fire :)

No ****, he's from San Francisco.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #136 on: July 6, 2007, 10:47 PM »
Its a good day to have some Twins on the old team!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 15, 2007, 01:39 AM »
Is it time for the annual lopsided trade between a last place Kevin and a contending Dressel already?!

A 6 win, Kazmir with decent K's and a crap ERA and WHIP...
a 1 Win, 5 Save Hennessey with a modest ERA and WHIP
And a very average Thome who can't even be plugged in at 1B...

For the second best fantasy 2B in the league and a 1B slugger who's outdone Thome in everything but BA?

Feel free to explain how this is a balanced trade... 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 15, 2007, 07:32 AM »
Is it time for the annual lopsided trade between a last place Kevin and a contending Dressel already?!

You know Rob, I have to take great exception to that, that is not fair.  Geez I even had to catch this static last year when I traded Manny Ramirez for Jake Peavy and Ben Sheets, and I got raked over the coals in that trade and finished 5th.  Kev got the way better deal in our last one.  Ramirez went .321  35 HR  102 RBI before getting hurt and sitting out the last 30 games, meanwhile Peavy and Sheets sucked.

You recall these as quote/unquote "lopsided trades", and in reality they have been basically even talent for talent, and fair.  Check your facts, please.

And a very average Thome who can't even be plugged in at 1B...

Oh my God give me a break!  Do you think you could be a little more one-sided Rob?  Come on.  When he wanted Thome, Kazmir and my SP/RP closer for that I was grappling over it but I but I feel like I need to take that risk at this point.  Okay I know you admitted that baseball is the sport that you know the least about and that's fine, but Thome was DL'd for 25 games in April/May and that's why his numbers are "only" at 15 HR 45 RBI.  I mean, do you check this stuff before you come in guns blazing?  Howard missed a little time too, but AB for AB, Thome and Howard have power numbers that are roughly equivalent, but Thome is at .280 and Howard at .260, and that's with a Howard hit streak, 2 weeks ago when we first started talking trade he was at .245 or so.  Kev said Damon and Lugo are being benched and dropped respectively with Ordonez being inserted in OF and Thome at DH. 

A 6 win, Kazmir with decent K's and a crap ERA and WHIP...

Decent K's and a crap ERA?  What?!  Kazmir does not have "decent" K's he's 7th in the majors.  As in, when you're looking for strikeouts, there are only 6 players in the sport that are better, none of which you were willing to trade him.  And that's only if you take straight absolute K's, if you look at K's/9, he's tied with Peavy and Santana.  And a 4.18 ERA ranks Kazmir 21st in the AL, not sparkling but not "crap".  Kev needs a pitcher badly (or three!), Kazmir has as much upside as anyone in baseball.  Look at his stats last year, I parted with Kazmir because of his inflated WHIP and Scott grabbed him and he was the best pitcher in baseball next to Johan Santana, Francisco Liriano and Brandon Webb for the next 4 months.   

a 1 Win, 5 Save Hennessey with a modest ERA and WHIP

I'm putting Hennessey in there because I'm content with where I am in saves, another FYI Hennessey was installed as closer recently and that's why he has "only" five saves.  With the coveted SP/RP tag to boot.

Kazmir and Thome are 2 superstars, and that's star talent for star talent despite what you say, and I'm only getting one back in Howard (who has not lived up to expectations so far I might add) and Brandon Phillips has a grand total of 1/2 of a year with star numbers under his belt and this could completely backfire on me.  I'm actually taking more of a risk than Kev is, and this is clearly not one of those grossly disproportionate trades that the veto function was meant for.   I would appreciate a little respect on this one.

The only thing "lopsided" here was your post and objections.  The point is not to decide if you would like that trade for your team.  The point is to evaluate the talent and upside based on past, present, and future performance and to see if the talent is close to being equal on the 2 sides of the trade.  Clearly this trade is close.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 09:09 AM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #139 on: July 15, 2007, 09:46 AM »
I'm with Rob...that trade is absolute and utter ********

Thome is far from a superstar and Kazmir while decent is nowhere near the level of Brandon Phillips and then you have the balls to throw in Ryan Howard. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 09:47 AM by OCB »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 15, 2007, 10:07 AM »
I'm with Rob...that trade is absolute and utter ********

Thome is far from a superstar and Kazmir while decent is nowhere near the level of Brandon Phillips and then you have the balls to throw in Ryan Howard. 

Well, the numbers and analysis, and needs for both of our teams say that you're wrong.  How can you refute what I wrote?  Which part is wrong?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #141 on: July 15, 2007, 11:19 AM »
What is wrong is that Kevin hadn't played actively in this game since mid May...now all of a sudden when you are mired in 6th place and need offense (all but having given up on pitching) he miraculously comes in and gives you two of his best offensive players for a pitcher who has sucked ass all year, a DH and a marginal reliever who might not even keep his job.  Why not edit his roster and put Brandon Phillipps in place of Dan Uggla and actively change his pitching?  That would make his team better. 

Come on Matt, do I need to go on?  Because of **** like this there are several people here at this site that refuse to play fantasy sports any more.  It has happened more than once and I don't think we even need to discuss it any further.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2007, 11:52 AM »
You still did nothing to show how it's not a fair trade.  The stats show that it is.

Thome and Howard are equals this year at bat for at bat (Thome hitting 20 points higher, but just a tinge below Howard in per-at bat power numbers), and Kazmir's upside and high K's and a SP/RP closer for one of the two 2B's on his bench who was a FA pickup in May, certainly seems like close to a wash to me.  Kazmir's got a ton of upside and Brandon Phillips has been putting up good numbers for a career total of 12 weeks.  Which is why he went undrafted and then sat in free agency for a while.  So let's not make him out to be the second coming of Willie Mays just yet, okay?  It's a risk.  Yeah I think I'm getting a slightly better deal or why would I do it?  But according to Kev's needs he likes his end obviously too.

That is not a grossly disproportioned deal worthy of veto.  If you think it is, you're not being fair.

I have not given up on pitching either.  I will be back, I'm still in the hunt in many of the categories.  Also, don't let the current standings fool you, I was in first place just 13 days ago.

And I really don't want to hear you trashing Kev's periods of attention and non-attention either Scott, Kevin beats you fairly frequently in these leagues.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 11:53 AM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 15, 2007, 12:33 PM »
Sorry Matt, I'm not trying to be unfair despite my first sentence jab, but I just don't think this is an even fantasy trade at all.  I see another instance where Kevin's team takes a hit while yours trades 3 average players for two stellar ones.

I vote no, and it has nothing to do with you or Kevin.  I'd vote against this trade if it were anyone.

Just look at the rankings alone (season, last month, last week):

Howard:  24, 49, 8
Phillips:  16, 12, 7

Thome:   170, 53, 25
Hennessey:  263, 317, 459
Kazmir:  747, 262, 64

That reeks of bull**** to me - even if that's a very generalized way of looking at it.  Howard and Phillips are season long performers at the top of the league, Thome and Kazmir had nices week last week, but on the year haven't done much to merit an interest.  Strikeouts for Kazmir notwithstanding, he's not a top tier guy this year, at all.  Howard and Phillips both are.  Two stellar players for 3 mediocre ones is what this is, and no amount of spin changes that, and it's not some anti-dressel conspiracy or anything like that.

That's just how I feel about it.  I'm not lobbying anyone to agree with me, I'm withdrawing any accusations, but I'm also voting against it. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 03:16 PM by Rob »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 15, 2007, 03:57 PM »
...Brandon Phillips has been putting up good numbers for a career total of 12 weeks.  Which is why he went undrafted and then sat in free agency for a while.  So let's not make him out to be the second coming of Willie Mays just yet, okay?  It's a risk.  ...

FWIW,
Philips was drafted in the 20th round of our draft.  Very late but then I took Beckett in the 19th and Fielder in the 17th, I believe.  So the point is he was drafted.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2007, 06:33 PM »
Talk about starting pitching and bad luck...last time I sent a starter out to the e-mound and he came away with the "W" in the decision was June 17th  :o

Followed up by 5 W's in the past 4 days.

Pitching decisions are the trickiest thing in this game.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 25, 2007, 06:55 PM »
I had really turned my pitching around in the past 2 weeks (despite Scott's claim that I "gave up on it" LOL), earning about 12 wins  :o and lowering my ERA 0.20, but I can't believe K-Rod came in today and just threw up all over the place.  I haven't looked it up but that might have been the worst relief appearance of his career.  On top of that I lost Chris Ray but happily picked up Bill Hall.  He's a good plug and chug if someone has to sit out, he can cover any slot except C, 1B, 2B.  And I think he hit about 15 HR in the last 2 months last year.

It's shaping up to be a good tight race down the stretch.

EDIT: Ohmigod that awful K-Rod relief appearance turned into a W thanks to a 9th inning Halo run after the blown save.  50 Wins.  And 2 weeks ago I had a mere 37 and was declared dead by Scott.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 06:58 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #147 on: July 25, 2007, 10:11 PM »
You were about to trade away your best pitcher...how is that not giving up on pitching?  As far as my pitching...my starters have been outstanding the last few weeks and have gotten **** on by their bullpens almost each and every time out >:(

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 25, 2007, 10:40 PM »
You were about to trade away your best pitcher...how is that not giving up on pitching? 

List of pitchers on my staff who have outperformed Kazmir:

Roy Oswalt
Rich Hill
Oliver Perez
Ted Lilly
Yovani Gallardo

I agree with you talent-wise though on Kazmir, as in pure ability, he has a ton of upside the last 2 months of the season, and I think we've seen that in his last 3 starts.

Anyhow, I'm in the hunt, and I still think I can pull off another trophy.  It's gonna be tight like the NBA league.

As far as my pitching...my starters have been outstanding the last few weeks and have gotten **** on by their bullpens almost each and every time out >:(

Ew, just saw what happened with Hamels.  Yup yup, he's no A-Rod, nobody can blow his save and decrease his production...

;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 10:44 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 26, 2007, 10:01 AM »
Yeah... Gallardo... a guy I picked up, a guy who went back into a relief role, and a guy who's starting again.   >:(

And my mistake of the year has got to be giving up on Roberts early on.

Dumb.