Author Topic: Carded collector thinking of going loose for 30AC. Thoughts?  (Read 8777 times)

Offline Nick

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Carded collector thinking of going loose for 30AC. Thoughts?
« on: February 16, 2007, 04:12 PM »
Hi all,

I'm a carded collector and have been since the Vintage era.  However, the coin album coupled with IKEA doing a fantastic glass display case for just £35 has got me thinking that I should make my 30AC loose.

I need convincing.  Anyone fancy giving it a go?

Cheers,

Nick

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Re: Carded collector thinking of going loose for 30AC. Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 05:25 PM »
OT, but could you post a link to the glass cabinet you're talking about?
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 11:10 AM »
Nick- these sculpts are SO amazing that they really must be loose and posed.  I haven't left a single figure on the card since the POTF2 launch, and I've never regretted it!  What I've done, though, for the nice cards like OTC, VOTC, and Saga, is carefully remove the figure out the bottom of the blister, and still hang all of the empty cards on the wall for the artwork or cardback pics.  You don't really want your collection looking like a store, do you?  :P
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 11:48 AM »
Nick, I've been contemplating the same thing for years. I do both loose and carded, but am finding that a carded collection is just too much to store, with no end in sight. Still haven't quit the carded thing yet, but have been thinking about it.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 11:49 AM »
Absolutely, open them up.  I don't collect carded, except for pretty select circumstances.  VOTC being one of them, but only certain characters.  These things are work of art out of the package, too.   :)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 05:49 PM »
i usually collect carded mostly, but this year i just may be opening a LOT more.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 07:36 PM »
Nick, I've been contemplating the same thing for years. I do both loose and carded, but am finding that a carded collection is just too much to store, with no end in sight. Still haven't quit the carded thing yet, but have been thinking about it.

Sounds familiar, but I made the switch from carded to loose back maybe five years ago now.  It was completely a space issue.  Frankly, a lot of these figures look a lot better on a card and some of them are utter crap when loose, so you stand to lose on occasion.  Still, loose frees up so much space. 

I do keep stuff I like (VOTC) carded (and have loose as well) but even those I'm questioning these days. 

I say go loose, just be prepared for the occasional disappointment with the figures.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2007, 12:18 AM »
What I've done, though, for the nice cards like OTC, VOTC, and Saga, is carefully remove the figure out the bottom of the blister, and still hang all of the empty cards on the wall for the artwork or cardback pics.

Empty cards??  This just sounds so wrong to me (being a carded collector)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Nick

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2007, 03:52 AM »

Thats exactly the situation I'm in.

I've no wall space left at all now and there is no way my better half is going to let me have another room for my collection.

Keep the response coming folks, you are all being a great help.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 05:10 PM »
You're nuts!  ;D Seriously, that may be the best thing for you...on the other hand, 10 years down the road when you want to display something carded and its open, you'll be kicking yourself.  You can ALWAYS open your stuff later, but you can NEVER reseal your stuff - just remember that.   Personally, I open one of everything and keep a sealed version of everything, but that's a freaking expensive way to go about this, AND you have even less display space than if you did just one or the other, so who am I to give advice.  Good luck in your decision. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline ddschneider1972

• Youngling
  • Go Bucks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 05:18 PM »
I broke the habit right around AOTC and am glad I did! I do collect Vader's Carded. because he's been on practically every card. I figure if I have one version of a card in the collection do I need 500? a FF vader looks cooler than a FF Malikilli! Plus it's easier and creates a IMHO nicer display to focus on one or 2 characters carded (Vader, Yoda, R2 and you'd pretty much cover every line, from the original 12 to now, except special circumstances, like AOTC preview, ROTS preview, but you coudl get those astromechs... and then ALL loose.

Here is a US link to the shelves: http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10103&storeId=12&langId=-1&productId=11638

Personally I'm going with these in white: http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15561&catalogId=10103&storeId=12&productId=60979&langId=-1&categoryId=15645&chosenPartNumber=00093136

"Modern Collectors are just Walmart Shoppers" -The new SW "Fan Club" President

They are right, everything is big in Texas, even the defeats...The Buckeyes are (still) #1!!!!!!!!

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 06:56 PM »
I will just open them all this time around and stick those coins in that Vader coin album.  I am just looking to having as much fun with this year's line as possible.  There are some great figures being made this year and most of them seem to have good articulation.  I actually like some of the comic 2 packs coming along with a couple of those Order 66 packs, etc.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 08:09 PM »
I broke the habit right around AOTC and am glad I did! I do collect Vader's Carded. because he's been on practically every card. I figure if I have one version of a card in the collection do I need 500? a FF vader looks cooler than a FF Malikilli! Plus it's easier and creates a IMHO nicer display to focus on one or 2 characters carded (Vader, Yoda, R2 and you'd pretty much cover every line, from the original 12 to now, except special circumstances, like AOTC preview, ROTS preview, but you coudl get those astromechs... and then ALL loose.

Here is a US link to the shelves: http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10103&storeId=12&langId=-1&productId=11638

I use these for my Marvel Legends and loose Star Wars - they work awesome.  What I did was use one vertically as shown, then I built a huge 6ft x 7ft frame using particle board and used the second detolf cabinet for glass shelves.  That gives me 6 six foot shelves (base of particle board, 4 sides of detolf #2 and the door from detolf #1.  Had to get a little creative, but it looks sweet all finished.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 09:08 PM »
Hi all,

I'm a carded collector and have been since the Vintage era.  However, the coin album coupled with IKEA doing a fantastic glass display case for just £35 has got me thinking that I should make my 30AC loose.

I need convincing.  Anyone fancy giving it a go?

Cheers,

Nick

As someone who's been collecting both carded and loose since 1995 - I can definitively say that the loose collecting is far more enjoyable for me at least.  I can't really say why - but it is.