Author Topic: Look What The Dog Buried  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Look What The Dog Buried
« on: February 22, 2007, 01:57 AM »
Must've been a big dog to bury this in the back yard.

It never ceases to amaze me what people find in the old battlefields of Europe...  Unexploded ordinance is the least of it after seeing stuff like this.  I saw a site just the other day that showed other finds like this in remote parts of the Eastern European Nations that don't have easy access to excavate the items.

That thing, cleaned up, looks like it could've been driven away...  It's in amazing shape...  Incredible.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Look What The Dog Buried
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 11:29 AM »
Looks like it just sank in the mud.  My guess is that's either Poland or Russia, and those areas were notorious for some mud patches that would just swallow vehicles.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 11:35 AM »
That's amazing, wish I could understand the language.  I wonder if there were any remains, if they would've lasted that long in the mud anyway.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 01:57 PM »
That's amazing, wish I could understand the language.  I wonder if there were any remains, if they would've lasted that long in the mud anyway.
I was wondering the same thing.  May be it got stuck and the tank was just abandoned.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 02:28 PM »
Woah. My guess is that it was probably abandoned during a winter campaign, ran out of gas. Summer hit, and it was lost.

Offline blimpyboy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Gamorrean lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 02:56 PM »
I don't speak Czech, but this description was at least enough like Russian that I could get the gist of it: they were walking through the countryside in the village of Demjansk, spotted something protruding high out of the ground, and found a tank in excellent working condition.  They either had it valued or bought if for $1 million.  It was exported to Russia and was sold three months later.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 02:57 PM by blimpyboy »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 03:54 PM »
The site's from either the Czech Republic or Slovakia...  Found in that area.

There's actually a number of things like these, as I mentioned...  There's a program called Tank Rebuild or something like that on one of the history/military channels.  They found a German tank sunk in a river and restored it the other day on that program...  Most in this river had been pulled out but the one they found was known to be there, but was too deep to remove.  Wasn't in great shape but got restored.  needed a lot of stuff though.

This one in the link though...  Came out practically perfect.  That's just freakishly incredible.  Usually they're incredibly damaged and worn but that thing was just so well preserved...  You even can see the paintjob and markings it's so perfect.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77