Author Topic: Anything ever stop you dead in your tracks?  (Read 4488 times)

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
Anything ever stop you dead in your tracks?
« on: February 23, 2007, 03:55 PM »
Have you ever had anything happen to you that seemed to make time stand still?  Has anything ever shaken you to the core?  Have you ever been going along your merry way, enjoying life, then see or hear something that pulls the rug out from under you?

I was out with my parents and 2 year old today having lunch.  I got up to get something and turned the corner.   I happend to look over a see a woman who looked over at me with the warmest smile and said "Well hello".  I dropped my drink and just stood there like an idiot.  She was the spitting image of Shannon Reynolds.  Her hair was cut just the way Shannon's was not long before she died.  The woman must have thought I was a moron, but she just smiled at me while I fumbled my way back to my table. 

That, of course, was not a core-shaker.  I would have to say the birth of my two children were core-shakers.  Holding a friend while she died is a core-shaker.  This was merely a quiver. 

So, has anyone had one of those moments?  Has something stopped you in your tracks?  Shaken you to your core?  Freaked you out?
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Anything ever stop you dead in your tracks?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 04:15 PM »
First kiss with my wife...   ;D And another first kiss with an ex.  :-\

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 07:35 PM »
One of the few time that time seemed to stand still for me was when I fell into/close to a fire pit as a 3 year old kid.  I remember looking at my family faces wondering what was happening since they looked worried.  It was only a second or so before my brother grabbed me up but it seemed longer then that.

Offline blimpyboy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Gamorrean lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 09:01 PM »
This happened to me once.  Summer after my sophomore year in college (2002) I spent the summer in St. Petersburg, Russia.  I fell head over heels in love with a girl there, but of course had to leave in August to start the new school year back in the states.  We vowed to stay in touch, but with 8,000 miles between us, it eventually faded.

In May of last year I was on my way home from Afghanistan and layed over in Almaty, Kazakhstan for two days of R&R (believe it or not, after Afghanistan, just about anything else is R&R).  I decided to hit one of the bars, so I chose the one that looked the most happening.  After I'd been in there for about 15 minutes, a girl comes up and taps me on the shoulder, and I turn around, and I'm sure you've already guessed by now, but it was her.  She was getting a graduate degree at the local University of Economics.  I literally didn't know what to say for what seemed like 20 minutes, as my brain was still going through the "Is this really happening?" phase.  Seeing her again brought back a few things.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 10:36 PM »
Wow, what are the odds?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 10:55 PM »
  Seeing her again brought back a few things.

Boxes of Puffs Plus back to Walmart where you bought them?  Or blood back to the pelvic region?
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline blimpyboy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Gamorrean lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 11:50 PM »
  Seeing her again brought back a few things.

Boxes of Puffs Plus back to Walmart where you bought them?  Or blood back to the pelvic region?

I'm usually not comfortable talking like this in a public forum, but because you and me always have to have 'who has the bigger weener' competitions, I'll go ahead and admit it: not only did we shag it up all night long, but she's safely the hottest girl you will ever see.  So hot, in fact, that I'm thinking of posting her picture in the "Top 5 Hotties" thread just for bragging rights.

Your move, Dres.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 03:18 AM »
Well, I've never ventured as far as to label you anything other than studly.  So if your tale were to prove true indeed, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

With that, I agree that you should post her in the Top 5 Hotties thread.  And then, we can shag it up all night long, right along with you.

Do it.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 10:44 AM »
Summer after my sophomore year in college (2002) I spent the summer in St. Petersburg, R

That's cool! I was there in college too studying Russia back in 95. St. Pete's is a beautiful city!
What were you doing there? The last time I was there was August 03 chaperoning a group of high schoolers. The city had changed so much... a lot of lights on Nevskiy prospekt now. Not sure if it's a good thing though.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 12:40 PM »
First time I stood on the set of the bridge of the Enterprise D.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline blimpyboy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Gamorrean lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 12:41 PM »
I was there doing a research project on the Chechen extremist movement, because St. Petersburg has a pretty big Chechen diaspora that's much more willing to talk than the ones in Moscow or the Caucasus region.  It is indeed a beautiful city.  2002 was actually my first time there despite having been born and lived in Tver' (just a couple hours away) for 7 years.  Give me the Lake Baikal area any day though over the cities.

Speaking of Siberia, that reminds me of another time I was stopped in my tracks.  There's apparently a huge heroin problem in the cities, and I remember when I was in Irkutsk back in 2004 I saw a group of kids pick a drug needle off the ground and proceed to stick their legs with it, hoping (I guess) to get whatever bit of heroin might still have been left in the syringe.  I have a bad feeling heroin isn't the only thing they're "getting" from those used needles.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 01:19 PM »
No way, Blimpy! I actually worked in Vladivostok for 2 years and for my job I traveled about the Russian Far East and central Siberia... Irkutsk being one of the cities. I was as far north as Yakutsk and Kamchatka! But, I agree the RFE is very beautiful area and the sea is nice to be by, even though it doesn't have the economic impact as Moscow does (which Russian city does, actually  ::)).

I have a bad feeling heroin isn't the only thing they're "getting" from those used needles.

Yeah, the AIDS explosion is horrible over there.  :(

To keep on topic, I'll tell a related "It's a small world" story. When I was in Pavlovsk (a city not far from St. Petersburg) I was walking through the square when I saw a girl taking her photo by a monument there. She looked familiar and I couldn't place it at first. Then she saw me and had the look of familiarity, too. So we talked and figured out that she was one of the finalists from Magadan that I had sent to the US to study when I was working in Vladivostok. That was really shocking.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 01:23 PM »
I saw a group of kids pick a drug needle off the ground and proceed to stick their legs with it, hoping (I guess) to get whatever bit of heroin might still have been left in the syringe.  I have a bad feeling heroin isn't the only thing they're "getting" from those used needles.

I'm searching for a stronger word than "idiot" here.  I dunno, blockhead?  Moron?  Whatever word you settle on to describe them, the bottom line is that they are so stupid that they literally are too weak to survive on this planet and deserve whatever disease process they finally succumb to.  Natural selection at it's finest.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 02:10 PM »
I'm going to go with this one:

The time I was driving from Lakeland to Tampa and drove up on a recent accident scene - two people, one completely crushed, the other decapitated (if it's still considered decapitation when one of the arms and shoulders was severed off with the head) - the motorcycle 80 yards down the road.  One head still in a helmet that had rolled a ways down as well.

No one in our van said another word the last 30 minutes to Clearwater.

Offline blimpyboy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Gamorrean lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 02:24 PM »
To keep on topic, I'll tell a related "It's a small world" story. When I was in Pavlovsk (a city not far from St. Petersburg) I was walking through the square when I saw a girl taking her photo by a monument there. She looked familiar and I couldn't place it at first. Then she saw me and had the look of familiarity, too. So we talked and figured out that she was one of the finalists from Magadan that I had sent to the US to study when I was working in Vladivostok. That was really shocking.

You don't happen to work for American Councils or IREX, do you?  I'm just curious.  Glad to meet someone else who understands the charm of Siberia.

And Dressel, that's the power of heroin.  Yes, those kids were stupid, but it wasn't just an isolated incident.  It happens all the time from what I understand.