Author Topic: Do You Ever Pick Up Something Just Because Its Something New?  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
With the way the distribution has been for many people this year, do you ever pick up something, just because you are happy to see something new....and later think "why did I get this?".  Personally, I start to consider and get some figures, etc., that I'm not sure I would have gotten if it wasn't for the big lulls.  I personally haven't seen any 2003 figures around here yet, but I did order (and pre-order) a few online.  Awhile back Kebco had some of the earlier 2003 figures (Obi-Wan, Tyrannus, Padme) on sale, so I ordered a few...but now looking at them, I'm not sure if I needed the Acklay Obi, or the Flex Mace.  This happened last year once in awhile as well, which is why I have GR Mace, Deluxe Anakin w/ Geonosian, etc.  Anyways, has this ever happened to you?

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Ever Pick Up Something Just Because Its Something New?
« Reply #1 on: June 9, 2003, 01:47 PM »
i used to do that, and i ended up with a lot of crappy episode 1 and some episode 2 items. its money that coudl be saved for better things.

i only stick to what i want now, i just wish i saw thigns in stores :P but i've had soem help in that area...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 9, 2003, 01:52 PM »
As a recovering completeist, the answer is yes, all the time.  I still like having one of everything if I can, but the more I collect, the less I like some of the stuff.  I don't have the force flipping Anakin deluxe for example, nor do I have the deluxe Jango Fett figure anymore (1st one).  I wish I hadn't grabbed the recent R2 (droid factory) but since none of this stuff comes out in Canada, I'm sort of stuck.  

I always see folks that like and dislike the same figure.  It's tough to know whether I will or won't like it, so I basically have to get it.  Online doesn't indicate much, like the dull paint job on the R2.  So I basically get it and decide later if I want to put it up for sale or trade it away.   More expensive, but if you'll excuse the repetitive comment, not much you can do being a Canadian collector.  I suspect the same goes for most non-American collectors and even a growing number of US based folks. :(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

obi_robz

« Reply #3 on: June 9, 2003, 02:02 PM »
I can’t pass on any basic figure. My wallet responds in a Pavlovian way to the release of new figures. Hasbro produce a new figure…out comes my cc. In the UK we get nothing sold at retail, but our online stores are pretty much up to speed.

I have the Padawan 2 packs, Han, Chewie, and (finally) the blonde IO arriving in the mail tomorrow morning (guaranteed delivery), and I can honestly say I was compelled to get them. Sad, but true.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 9, 2003, 03:37 PM »
with a VERY limited budget since I'm not working, I only look for figures I 'really REALLY want'; I still don't have from last year: Dexter, Capt Typho, Nikto Jedi, PLo koon or Seassee Tinn (their PotJ versions are better IMO). What I'd really like would be Secret ceremony anakin, Aayla Secura, Wat Tambor and the new CLone Troopers, arc trooper and 3 pack.  :-\
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #5 on: June 9, 2003, 04:28 PM »
That's just it... I never see anything new, even stuff I don't like, so I can't buy it. The newest thing I've seen is the Imp 4 pack and I passed on it, so I guess the answer is no?

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2003, 09:04 AM »
There are some figures that I will not rebuy...for instance the Yoda in the Saga which is an obvious remake with magnet insert...however I will buy the Leia, Han, and Maul but not Jango,...so I think that sometimes it depends entirely what the repack is...I did not like the E1 Yoda as much as the E2 Yoda

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2003, 09:11 AM »
I used to buy any new fig I could find. Now I have re-evaluated that way of thinking. I am more frugal with my funds and will hold off and save up for other more wanted items. I think of all the money I spent on things I didn't like just to have them all. Now I have a small bank account just for fun stuff as the wife likes to call it.  
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2003, 11:52 AM »
Hey I too have been also limited in my account for SW purchases...my wife says, why don't you just stick to collecting one thing?   I said I do only that I have some other book series that I enjoy reading, that's not collecting...that's just reading!

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2003, 09:16 PM »
I did it recently. I bought those vinyl figures at Suncoast cause they were on clearance. I bought Ani,Jango and Mace(they didnt have Vader) now Im like okay I could lived without them.
I remember my dream now.