Author Topic: What's your favorite scene from the prequels?  (Read 11196 times)

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
What's your favorite scene from the prequels?
« on: June 6, 2003, 08:54 PM »
So we've got two prequel flicks in the bag now.  What's your favorite scene from these flicks so far?

I'm not such a big fan of the prequels myself, but I absolutely loved the final lightsaber duel in TPM between Maul, Qui-Gonn, and Obi-Wan.  That was awesome!

A couple of my other runner ups would be when Anakin goes berzerko on the Tusken camp (and his Swoop ride there), as he begins his turn towards the dark side.  I think this scene should've been just a tiny bit longer though.  I also liked when Anakin and Tyrannus were dueling at the end of AOTC - the parts where it was so dark that all you could see were the flashing colors of their lightsabers.  I guess those beautiful lightsabers are just really one of my favorite things in the Star Wars saga.

obi_robz

Re: What's your favorite scene from the prequels?
« Reply #1 on: June 7, 2003, 06:39 AM »
My favourite scene is from the end of the Episode One 3-way lightsaber duel, when Obi slices Maul in half. I love the way Obi draws his fallen master’s saber to him in mid somersault. Qui-Gon was one of the best things about TPM, and I was hoping that Obi would look after and carry his Master’s saber out of respect. Sadly for me, GL didn’t seem to care about lightsaber continuity in AOTC :(

I know it was a bit lame of DM to just stand there and let Obi off him, but I love the look of surprise on his face and the burst of red at the bottom of the screen.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 7, 2003, 02:44 PM »
Probably the most breathtaking thing we've seen in any Star Wars movie to date....

200 Jedi brandishing lightsabers

So, Dressel Rebel's vote goes to the Arena Battle on Geonosis.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 7, 2003, 07:31 PM »
My favorite seen would be a tie between the Final Duel in Ep1 and the Arena Battle in Ep2.  

Qui-Gon was one of the best things about TPM, and I was hoping that Obi would look after and carry his Master’s saber out of respect. Sadly for me, GL didn’t seem to care about lightsaber continuity in AOTC

I think they have him losing it in one of the EU books before AOTC happens so he still used it a while after TPM if you believe in EU.

Offline Batman

• Youngling
  • I'm Batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 7, 2003, 08:01 PM »
I would have to say when Anakin slaughters all the tusken raiders :D.  I also think they should have made it longer.  It was pretty cool how Qui-gon shouted out "ANAKIN!" during the anakin's slaughtering 8).
Corey aka Batman

"Even the smallest people can change the course of the future."

obi_robz

« Reply #5 on: June 7, 2003, 09:25 PM »
Qui-Gon was one of the best things about TPM, and I was hoping that Obi would look after and carry his Master’s saber out of respect. Sadly for me, GL didn’t seem to care about lightsaber continuity in AOTC

I think they have him losing it in one of the EU books before AOTC happens so he still used it a while after TPM if you believe in EU.

Thanks Darth Kenobi, I hadn’t thought of that. I’m glad to hear that there’s an explanation, but IMHO it would have been great to see something like that happen on-screen.

:)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #6 on: June 8, 2003, 07:49 PM »
A few things, which I couldn't really pick apart to make a decision -

The three way duel between Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan against Darth Maul. Very good swordsmanship and overall showmanship on Maul's part, good overall display of Jedi/Apprentice partnership, and of course a nice finishing expression or two from Maul that couldn't have been any better.

The Arena Duel / Battle of Geonosis is up there, though I would have liked to have about 5 minutes of nothing but Clones/Droids battling alone without any lame actors in the way to hog the screen. Anyone who wasn't at least a tad happy with the battle sequence probably wasn't happy with any other parts of AOTC.

(adding more in the future)

Jango Fettish

« Reply #7 on: June 9, 2003, 12:54 AM »
Easy. Jango's gun twirl after smoking Coleman Trebor.

Offline Hung Solow

• Jedi Initiate
  • Public Enemy #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 9, 2003, 10:55 AM »
I love the whole astroid belt scene in EP2.  I love the sound those seismic charges made, in the theatre, when they detonated.
Blessed be the Maker and his Water, Blessed be the coming and the going of Him, May His passage cleanse the world. --- Dune: Dr. Kynes; Imperial Ecologist

Offline Darth Ghidorah

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2003, 12:52 AM »
My favorite scene would have to be the Arena battle, and a close second the asteroid belt.
You suck at life.

Ewoks own you.

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2003, 04:33 PM »
I love the whole astroid belt scene in EP2.  I love the sound those seismic charges made, in the theatre, when they detonated.

Ditto. That was one memorable moment, possibly the best of the entire Saga.
Post sober.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2003, 12:38 AM »
- The Battledroid formations prior to the Battle of Naboo.  I liked the uniform way they lined up, their artillery barage as infantry marched towards the Gungan lines...   I honestly would've changed only how the Gungans fought, and Jar Jar's behavior in the battle...  Given Tarpals a little more time.  To me, the droids made that battle though, and it was reminiscent of Picket's Charge from Gettysburg with how the droids marched into battle.

-The moment Maul appears in the Naboo Hangar...  I still remember people getting totally pumped just because of how bad@$$ he looked standing there, then he ignites the sabre...  

You can't top a moment like that, and how it got a major reaction from the crowd.

-The Naboo pilots...  Highly underused, and definately reminiscent of the classic films.  A shame that Lucas made the battle revolve around Anakin.  I much rather would've seen Anakin fly up, actually perform semi-well (natural ability instead of tripping into success), and see more of the pilots work in tandom with him...

Ric Olie could've been a new "Wedge Antilles" heroe had they taken the initiative to make him so.  

-Yoda's moments with the younglings in E2...  There's something about how he acts in those moments that make him more like the Yoda in the classic movies than ever.  His calm demeanor with children, his casual playful taunting of Master Kenobi...  

That's a "classic" moment that makes you appreciate Lucas a little more.  It's funny, but not over the top at all, and right up the mischevious lil Master's alley for his behavior as we've seen him act on Dagobah.

-Dexter Jetster...  I just like the character, so I like his scenes.  He's big, he's ugly, but he's unique...  I also like the idea Obi-Wan hasa informants that maybe aren't as scrupulous as himself.

-Watto...  Same as Dexter.  Great CGI character, definately a believeable part of Star Wars, and definately a testament to the skill of ILM animators.  Watto also embodies everything bad, but it's odd because you still like his character on some level.  It's like he's down on his luck come E2 and you feel bad for him with his dumb hat.

-The Senate...  I like how the Senate's designed/set up.  I think Lucas did a wonderful job with it, and I think all Senate scenes have been 100% solid.  They're the most boring from a story standpoint, and likely only kept the hardcore fan's attention, but they are definately well done.

-Oddly enough, and I know I'm going to catch it for this, but I like Anakin's breakdown in the Lars family's garage....   Hear me out here though.

To me, a major point of the prequals is the evil that is entailed with one's emotions.  I think that Lucas is showing in a not-so-subtle way (unlike the classics) that emotion is the root of all evil, but it's also the root of all good.  

I like that about the prequals, and I felt that Hayden Christensen's acting was actually quite fitting (and good, because I think it was intended to be "overly emotional) for the theme.  His crying fit, his throwing things...  It's that little rumble of thunder underneath.

Not to mention he just slaughtered a tusken tribe completely.

-The whole "Search for Shmi" set to Duel of the Fates...  Come on, that was great.  Even stopping to ask some Jawas.  :)

-The Podrace...  Some dislike it, and it slows the story down for sure because it happens in the middle of a lull in the story really.  The thing I like about it is that it is visually one of the most complex CGI sequences ever.  It's definately eye candy though, and well done eyecandy to boot.  

It adds a bit of excitement, but it still doesn't do so while adding to the story though.  

-Various moments of the Battle of Geonosis...  I'd have redone the battle and it would've turned out MUCh different, but it does have its interesting points, and it's fun to watch.

I just still feel a space battle was needed, as was a more uniformed/structured ground battle.  I'd have definately not edited the battle down like Lucas did....  So what if it made the film a bit longer?  It needed to be, and in a hellacious ball of excitement like TBoG, I think nobody would've minded.

-Of course the asteroid sequence...  :)  Everyone likes the asteroid sequence.

I'm sure I have many other favorite moments too, I just am tired after writing all this other stuff out.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2003, 12:59 PM »
Hmmm, it's tough to pick one.  I'd go with the entire Maul-Kenobi-Jinn lightsaber duel at the end of Ep1.  

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2003, 08:52 PM »
I'm not such a big fan of the prequels myself, but I absolutely loved the final lightsaber duel in TPM between Maul, Qui-Gonn, and Obi-Wan.  That was awesome!

That lightsaber scene was definitely one of the best lightsaber scenes in ALL of the Star Wars movies!  I also have a few other favorite scenes from the two prequels...

-- Naboo Fighters vs. Droid Fighters in space in EP1 (near end of movie)
-- Gungans vs. Battle Droids in EP1
-- Battle of Geonosis
dustrho

Offline Mandalorian Madman

• Youngling
  • He's no good to me at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2003, 11:41 PM »
darth maul vs qui gon vs obi wan lightsaber dual....sweeeeeeet
JD

"Open them.  All of them."