Author Topic: Astromechs?  (Read 2347 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Astromechs?
« on: March 5, 2007, 11:44 PM »
I was just wondering if any of you guys had tried boiling/popping any of the Hasbro Astromechs? The reason I ask is that the third "foot" on my TSC R4-K5 was put on backwards. I'm guessing that I could just boil/pop it to fix it, but I've never boiled/popped anything other than the "human" figures before. Just wondering if you guys had any advice/remedies for this. Thanks!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Astromechs?
« Reply #1 on: March 6, 2007, 01:34 AM »
The movable ankle astromechs are easy to pop...  There's a hard ABS pin in the foot, but the foot and leg themselves are generally just PVC and will become pliable.  You pop the pins out after heating them, and move the feet how you want them, and pop the pins back in.  Very easy Diddler...

I didn't notice backward feet on any of the droids, but it's an easy fix for sure via the boil & pop.  Go for it.  :)

Could probably run it under hot water from the spicket for a while instead of "boiling" and whatnot, actually.  Just put the foot under hot water and hold it there for a minute or two. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 6, 2007, 04:21 PM »
Yeah, I figured that it'd be easy to fix, I'm just nervous about messing up the action feature somehow; this is one of the R4-G9 repaints, so the turning head raises/lowers the third leg. I'll try it later and see if it works out like I hope it does.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: March 6, 2007, 07:03 PM »
Like I said, you could run it under hot tap water (the foot only) and I'm pretty sure you'd be able to pop the pin out and swap it around.  No submerssion of the figure, though I have submerged astro's of all types and they all work fine.  The feature doesn't have any metal to it, it's just plastic gears and usually a little hobby grease applied to them...  The grease doesn't disappear though, and the figure will dry out.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 6, 2007, 10:45 PM »
If you pop it out and can't get the pin back in, you could glue it into position at least.  Good luck with this Diddly!

:P