Author Topic: 30AC Figures: What's Good and What's Bad  (Read 4197 times)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
30AC Figures: What's Good and What's Bad
« on: March 16, 2007, 08:51 PM »
Well, the Saga Collection had a thread like this last year, so I figured I'd start one like it for this year.

For me, these are all my opinions on upcoming figs from pictures I've seen:

Darth Vader- A completely pointless repack. Absolutely no idea what motivated Hasbro to give us the ROTS version with so many superior Vaders out there.

Galactic Marine- Looks very good, much anticipated. It looks like and I've heard this from other members, that it may have a stading problem, and that'll be hard with no display stands this year.

Lava Miner- Very cool! It looks interesting, well articulated, colorful, and neat! Without doubt the figure in this wave that I am most excited to pick up.

Mace Windu- I've heard he's less than stellar, but from what I've seen, he looks okay, his head sculpt is awful, but that's what customizing is for. It'll certainly be better than any previous Windu figure, that goes without saying.

Airborne Trooper- I love it. It looks pretty sharp. I hate the legs though, same problem Galactic Marine is gonna have.

Obi-Wan Kenobi- Terrible. It will pegwarm. This slot in the wave could easily have been filled with a Collection 2 Jedi from '05 that hasn't been released a gazillion times, perhaps Shaak Ti, or Ki-Adi Mundi. I just don't get the reasoning behind a repack like this.

R2-D2- The paint looks appauling, but I think the sculpt and the cool feature that it can do with SBD is going to save it from any criticism that's too brutal.

Super Battle Droid- I am very happy to see an SA SBD, and on top of that one that has the cool feature with R2. My only concern is the holes, but even that's not too bad. I do feel the flames could have been snap-on, however.

Biggs Darklighter (Pilot)- Finally! One of the worst figures of the POTF2 era gets a resculpt, and it looks superb.

Han Solo- Looks great, well articulated, but I see it pegwarming. Every little kid already has a Han Solo figure, and that'll hurt this figure in the long-run.

Death Star Trooper- Wide legs? Wide legs? I don't like it at all. I actually think the POTF2 one looks better, and it's not even that great. A poor attempt to make collectors happy.

Rebel Honor Guard- Again, wide legs, it'll pegwarm, a disaster of a figure. Am I getting it? No way, Jose!

Ceremonial Luke Skywalker- This figure looks amazing. I can't thank Hasbro enough for resculpting that mess of a figure from POTF2, and a great job it looks like they did! It looks really, really, really great, and I cannot wait to pick this figure up.

Academy Biggs Darklighter- I don't like it. It looks like a nice figure and all but I'm just not interested. Pass.

Tatooine Luke Skywalker- It looks pretty good, if it's as good as it looks then I'll buy it no problem. I'm not thrilled or anything, but it just looks decent enough.

Jawa with LIN Droid- Super, super cool! Man, I can't wait to pick this beauty up! New Jawa sculpt, new droid, I love this! What I love especially about this is that Hasbro could've pulled another Chief Chirpa on us and just given us the droid knowing wed still be excited, but they went above and beyond and threw in a new Jawa! Hasbro, be this terrific more often!

Darth Vader- This is the first Darth Vader released since the Evolutions version that I am actually very excited to pick up, this is neat!

Miiyoom Onith- Alright, it's not my favorite figure of the year but it'll be nice in cantina dioramas next to Feltipern.

Elis Helrot- Ever since I saw Episode 4 at age 4, I have thought this freak was super cool. I am thrilled to see it be released. Yipee!

Umpass-stay- Looks like a total, pre-posed letdown. And no drum? C'mon! One of the absolute worse figures shown to this point, and it's a real bummer because it had so much potential to turn out great.

CZ-3- I love this figure! Groundbreaking protocol droid articulation, I'm skeptical about that headsculpt, but I think this figure will turn out a-ok.

Luke Skywalker- I on't know about this one, I'm gonna wait to see it in person, because I just can't tell if it looks good or bad. It should be good with the rancor that's coming up.

I think thats it, if I left any out, theyre probably just so bad that theyre forgettable!  ;) Im pretty excited about most of these, but the one figure of the year I am most excited about is not mentioned above. It's that kicka$$ Holiday Boba Fett. I just think that figure is so ******* cool, I just love it! Packaged and out of the package, marvelous.  8)  8) ;D

This very long post will definitely be modified in the future. So what do you guys think? Any wave 1 acquisitions you love or hate? Any figs from future waves you can't wait to get your paws on? Well, thats what this here thread is for, so get posting!
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: 30AC Figures: What's Good and What's Bad
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 09:50 PM »
I'm pretty sure Umpass includes his drum.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 02:04 AM »

Umpass-stay- Looks like a total, pre-posed letdown. And no drum? C'mon!

He does include a drum. There's pictures and everything.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 02:07 AM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 11:07 AM »
I'm pretty sure Umpass includes his drum.

Thanks, Reid. Now that I see Darth Anton's pic he posted, I will be nicer to this figure. It actually looks quite detailed, and the drum is nice. I'm still bummed to see the pre-posed legs, but what else does he do in the movie? I'll probably get him now.
 :)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 11:54 AM »
Actually, don't you get a half a drum piece according to the Big H's recent Q&A?  So if you want a full drum, you have to buy 2 and can snap the drum pieces together. ::)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 02:40 PM »
Actually, don't you get a half a drum piece according to the Big H's recent Q&A?  So if you want a full drum, you have to buy 2 and can snap the drum pieces together. ::)

That is unless they plan to do an Ak-Rev figure next year.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 05:03 PM »
i dont think the honor guard will peg. he is an army builder and what appears to be SA.besides give him a rifle and he can make a pretty cool soldier. same with the DS trooper everyone will go for it, wide leg stance also means you can file them up in formations.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 06:26 PM »
Death Star Trooper- Wide legs? Wide legs? I don't like it at all. I actually think the POTF2 one looks better, and it's not even that great. A poor attempt to make collectors happy.

Rebel Honor Guard- Again, wide legs, it'll pegwarm, a disaster of a figure. Am I getting it? No way, Jose!

On these two I totally dissagree with you.  As JangoTat said, these are army builders and decently articulated, if not SA.  Besides, I've seen multiple pics of customizers who have done the EASIEST of customs, but boiling and squeezing the legs together, then dropping in cold water to do a quick cool down.  Legs don't end up stiff in the position and are no longer in the wide stance - which I agree sucks!  However, 2 minutes and no skills can't fix Hasbro's stupid wide stance.

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 11:39 AM »
I looked at waves, and so far, I am interested in parts of wave 1 (I am done with wave 1), the Biggs pilot (if it is new) and the Biggs on Tat.  Then the parts of wave 5. I am also interested in some of the VOTC  but that is all. I guessed I picked a good year to really scale back the collecting and buy up the figures I really like.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3