Author Topic: Pocket Models  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Pocket Models
« on: July 21, 2007, 01:54 AM »
Anyone collecting these or playing the game?  I can't tell if these are something to go in here with the card games or over in the Other Collectibles area. 

I've gotten a few, mostly for free, but man I'm tempted to get the whole shebanga bang.  They're really quite nifty.  Anyone else into these, even remotely?

EDIT:

Seriously, nobody?  Wow... 

I'm actually getting into these, I don't know why.  I picked a pack up on a whim the other day and the complexity of some of the models is quite cool.  I'm wondering if this is really a line that's going to pick up or not though?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 01:38 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Resurrection Bob

• Youngling
  • All new likeness!
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket Models
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 08:45 PM »
I've been picking some up, just for the ships, though, not for the game.  I think they're pretty cool and have some nice variety.  I'm trying not to get too many of them, though, as my main collecting focus is figures.  However, since I haven't been seeing many new figures out there, these are something else to keep me busy.

Of course, I could just save my money instead...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 04:56 PM »
Yeah the price is slightly prohibitive to me...  $5 a pack is steep for some little cardboard ships.  I will say though, they do have cool variety like you said Bob, and they've got a lot of detail really.  Very well designed...  I think if you compared this to the Minis battleship game, you're further ahead getting into POcket Models and maybe revising the rules some so you can do fleet battles and things more in tune with miniatures gaming.

I got the Imp. Shuttle in a pack recently and really it's an impressive thing for just being cardboard basically.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 09:53 AM »
Yeah the price is slightly prohibitive to me...  $5 a pack is steep for some little cardboard ships.  I will say though, they do have cool variety like you said Bob, and they've got a lot of detail really.  Very well designed...  I think if you compared this to the Minis battleship game, you're further ahead getting into POcket Models and maybe revising the rules some so you can do fleet battles and things more in tune with miniatures gaming.

I got the Imp. Shuttle in a pack recently and really it's an impressive thing for just being cardboard basically.

From my CIV experience, the game is certainly more interesting than Starship Battles.  I ended up breaking down and getting three of the Tins and I've picked up the Star Destroyer.  Haven't really had a chance to put them together and figure out what I'm missing....

Jeff
"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline SITHSPAWN

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 10:55 AM »
I'd heard about them and was able to see some at WWLA this year.  I was P.O.'d when I couldn't make it to C4.  I really wanted to get these and try it out with the big ships they had.  I did end up getting 3 of the tins from the con though.  I've bought a few more boosters other then those.  I'm going to be getting a booster box soon.

Did you know the Imerial Power-Up Packs from Target and Wal-mart have offers for ARC-170 Exclusive Mail-Away Ships.  I just got my Target one in this week.  It's the ARC-170 Bull's Eye Squadron and has red tiger markings.  The Wal-mart one is called ARC-170 Razor Squadron and has blue stripes. 

They also have cards you can get from games at events.  I haven't been able to make it to any since my FLGS closed the week after these released.  I've also not been able to play it yet becuase of this, I've mainly been collecting.

They also have a Hoth expansion coming out around Sept.

Offline starwax137

• Jedi Initiate
  • Go away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 1, 2007, 12:35 AM »
My impression was that it was all sorts of ground vehicles, not just Hoth ones. I want my AT-TE.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: August 3, 2007, 04:13 AM »
I've heard ground too, massive ground vehicle sets...  I'm pretty much down for that.  I'm getting slowly sucked into this, butthe price kills me.  $5's not cheap for cardboard. :(

Offline starwax137

• Jedi Initiate
  • Go away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 6, 2007, 03:18 PM »
Anyone want to start keeping track of what we know is coming in the ground set? So far:

AT-AT
AT-ST
AT-TE
Tauntaun
Snowspeeder
Spider Droid
Tank Droid
Speederbike

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile