Author Topic: Your 30AC Shopping: Retail or Online?  (Read 11052 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Your 30AC Shopping: Retail or Online?
« on: March 22, 2007, 10:07 AM »
With the TAC starting to hit the pegs, I was curious which route everyone is taking in picking up these figures.  I used to have to rely online (either through stores or through others helping) for so many figures, but since we moved to "the city", I have had a little better luck in finding things at retail - at least for the most part.  With a baby on the way this summer, I know that my trips out to check the stores will be a lot more limited - and for the most part, collecting Star Wars around here is sort of "buy it when you see it" for many figures over the past couple years, and I don't see that changing this year.  Anyways, with that in mind, I've considered ordering more things online.  I have "sets" of the next couple waves preordered through BBTS (partially as "insurance" in case I can't find them at retail), but I've noticed that those preorders have started to get more and more expensive (up to $10 per figure on average, plus shipping).  I know many people go with cases, which is probably cheaper, but that's something I've never done before just due to the overall price of things - and in some cases, the extras.  Anyways, I was curious what everyone does in there shopping habits - do you rely totally on retail, do you order/preorder some things online "just in case", or do you order cases and basically not worry about retail outside of exclusives?  I usually like to just find things at retail, but like I said, I don't know if I'll be able to get out as much this year - and this could actually be a year where I want one of each basic figure - due to that darn coin promo :).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 12:45 AM by JesseVader08 »

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Your TAC Shopping: Retail or Online?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 10:22 AM »
I usually preorder just in case and cancel if i find them at retail first.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 10:32 AM »
The hunt is the best part for me so i'm all retail. Ordering online usually takes the fun out of it and a box coming to the house usually angers the Mrs...

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 10:55 AM »
I switched over to trying to buy all my basic figures on-line this year.  My Wave 1 case from New Force worked out to $6.75 per figure!  That's less than Target/Wal-Mart cost and they were shipped right to my door - you can't beat that!  I'll still be hunting the Target and Wal-Mart exclusives at retail though.  Those cost waaaaay too much to try to get on-line from the scalpers. 

Luckily, the Target exclusives are pretty easy to nab around these parts and it only takes a day or two of hunting when they hit locally to get them.  Wal-Mart exclusives on the other hand...  Ugh.   ::)  Those things are a bit more work for me to track down, but luckily I have a nice local gang that watches out for each other, which makes things much easier for everyone.   :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline AndyG

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 11:22 AM »
I'm going for retail - I have picked up all I want from Wave 1 that way.

If I couldn't get what I was after at retail for the rest then hopefully I would be able to trade for them at a forum before going ebay / etailer.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 11:26 AM by AndyG »

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 12:59 PM »
I am trying to go exclusively online this year.  Just to see if it can be done.  I'll do my army building through retail and trades, but other than that, I am going to get cases from EE.com or New Force or any other Collector Friendly site that pops up that can be trusted...

Like Jeff, I'll go hunt exlusives once I hear they have hit town, but other than that...it is Toys at my door....

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 02:01 PM »
I will have to go the retail route.  My wife does not like it when I buy Star Wars in bulk and especially when it arrives at the door for her to see.  Plus, she'll see the $80 plus case assortment on the credit card bill and get ticked.  But if I buy here and there at retail then all is well in the Broem household.  For some reason multiple items at one time sets her off. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 02:34 PM »
That's another reason why I go the retail route - it seems to sit better with the wifey.  I think its better if I pick things up in small doses here and there, instead of the big bulk charge at one time.  That's the reason I haven't gone the case route in the past, seeing that big $80-$100 charge on the credit card doesn't look too good :).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 03:57 PM »
Getting extras I don't want kills me so I probably won't be going the etail route this year for much.  I will be ordering a vintage case from NFC as I did last year.  That's the only way to go on those IMO.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 01:05 AM »
The first wave I got through retail, and after seeing what chasing these McQuarrie figures might be like this year, I ordered a set of wave two and a case of wave 3 through BBTS.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 01:12 AM »
Unless I get another lucky break with a WM leaving their basic figures at half price, I'm with Jeff. NFC all the way.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 10:33 AM »
The hunt is the best part for me so i'm all retail. Ordering online usually takes the fun out of it and a box coming to the house usually angers the Mrs...

Well, I dont have a Mrs, but thats pretty much how I see it. The hunt is the best part, and finding em at the WM price after a good long hunt is the second best part.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 10:35 AM »
I like the hunt and I don't like a wait. Thats what makes me like retail more, and the only thing thatll make me resort to ebay is if I cant find a fig I want really really badly at retail.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 12:25 PM »
retail..my parents refuse to let me buy online.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 09:32 AM »
retail..my parents refuse to let me buy online.

Show them how it could save them money. They'll love that. ;)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."