Author Topic: Military Surplus/Militaria Anyone?  (Read 10201 times)

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
Re: Military Surplus/Militaria Anyone?
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2009, 06:30 PM »
Hey Brad, I don't know how long you've been carrying, but I'll offer up my advice anyway. ;)

Springfield makes a phenomenal weapon that you can't go wrong with.  I thought briefly of going that route, but due to funds I decided to go Glock.  And I can't say enough how happy I am with mine.  I couldn't decide on going with a 9mm or .45, so I compromised and went with the .40 cal Glock 27.  I didn't want to have the massive recoil of the .45 or "lesser" stopping power of the 9mm (that round does get a bad rap).  I love the G27 and how compact it is.  I can wear it with just about anything and you never see it.  The only thing I can't wear it with is my running gear, unless I use a waist pack.  That's the only downfall of Glock that I've determined, their "blockiness".  I've actually thought of getting a Keltec .380 for that purpose.

As for the AR, I'd love to see pics when you get it assembled.  You probably already know this, but the flashider isn't really to keep the bad guys from seeing you, but is geared more towards the shooter not being blinded in night/CQB firing.  I've tried to convince my wife I need something from the AR family, but she doesn't think I need another gun.  I've wanted to get one since I got out of the military, but she always says no.  Eventually I'll wear her down.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2009, 08:55 PM »
I welcome the advice, Chris, and appreciate it. The big debate with CCW is whether or not to carry a revolver or a semi-automatic. I carry a revolver because it's safer and more reliable. The downside is I keep the top chamber empty, so I've only got four hollow points to defend myself if I'm forced to draw my firearm.

Obviously semi-automatics carry double the capacity, but then you've got to decide how to carry it. One in the chamber and ready to drop? Or gamble that you'll have time to slide back? I was initially going to carry a Walther PPS but I didn't feel confident working the safeties if my adrenaline was up. I'm an expert marksman, but I haven't got enough experience with semi-automatics. Walther's are great, by the way, my dad ended up getting a P99c.

I wish I could carry a Judge.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2009, 10:50 PM »

1903a3 - Remington Arms 5-'44 barrel.

(All it really needs is a stacking assembly and a sling)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 12:44 AM by Angry Ewok »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2009, 01:39 AM »
Thanks Chris and Paul for the info. :)

I'm gonna dig around.  B&N has some cheap oens available and my member discount may get me a decent cut on new ones...  I just really would like a lot of their tactical books, and books on fortifications and things.  I may delve into their vehicle-specific books too at some point if I plan to update any of the 1:18 tanks and stuff I have... or get into 1:16 RC stuff.

Regardless though I've wanted to get into these, and I may try used first.  See what I can dig up!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2009, 10:18 AM »
I just got the one on Vietnam Firebases.  Pretty interesting.  Amazon and BN.com have special "packs" where if you buy certain titles together you get a discount.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #50 on: January 5, 2010, 07:03 PM »
I'm bumping this with an article I was reading...

Some cool **** in here:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/01/sci-fi-weapons/

That first weapon is simply scary.  Grenades set to detonate over their target's heads...  So much for ducking behind a wall/car/etc.  :-X
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 5, 2010, 07:51 PM »
Most of those I'd read about before but the Taser Shockwave and new flash bangs were new to me.  Some cool stuff.  I like the disco dazzler seasick machine too! 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #52 on: January 5, 2010, 08:08 PM »
And youc an make your own of that one.  :)

I'm not a wiring expert but if I can get the materials cheap enough I'm going to try it.

I liked the taser shockwave too.  We could've used that during the G-20 Summit for sure. 

I like keeping up on the latest/greatest military tech for sure...  History/Military channel can keep you up on that stuff fairly well.  It was neat then seeing some of it get implemented into COD:MW2 since that's to take place in the not-too-distant-future.  Stuff like auto shotties and things...  They're interesting weapons.  That grenade launcher though, I'd seen on TV at some point I think, or at least the rounds, but seeing the actual weapon and what all it can do is fascinating.  GL's hadn't really improved much since the bloopers when you think about it, but these new ones look to be a huge leap in quality and shortly will be in service to each squad.

It's freakish thinking that you can fire a round though soon that will detonate directly over your head, all from a personal hand-held weapon...  That's crazy stuff.

I liked the laser thing at the end too, that's shot down drones so far.

They used those sound weapons during the G20 and they worked really well...  There was footage on the local news of them in action and they certainly broke up the crowd quickly.  They're not good for maneuvering around though and countering highly mobile/active groups of people who've got a plan to attempt to get around the resistance they may first encounter.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #53 on: January 7, 2010, 03:37 PM »
My first build. This is a WIP. Missing the front hinge, a rear sight, and a sling.

Bushmaster
14.5" + Yankee Hill Phantom
1:7 twist
OD Green Magpul