Author Topic: The Transformers Live Action Movies  (Read 143137 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: The Transformers Live Action Movies
« Reply #105 on: July 6, 2007, 10:57 PM »
Caught this tonight...I can honestly say that I liked it.  A lot of it was absolute pure cheese.  I can honestly say though that I have not watched an episode of Transformers since I was a wee lad.  So, I would guess that the cartoon was pure cheese as well.  The effects work in this movie was absolutely phenomenal.  If it doesn't win an Oscar for Visual Effects there is something wrong with people.  I'd recommend it just to see that work.  The story and all that wasn't all that great and there was some pretty bad plot holes.  Otherwise I rather enjoyed myself and would give a solid OCB 7 (With 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

One question spoilerish question I guess...what happened to Starscream?  I never saw him get blown up when he kept transforming back and forth between jet/robot in the pack of fighter jets

End Spoiler

End Spoiler

End Spoiler

End Spoiler

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #106 on: July 6, 2007, 11:54 PM »
Spoiler!

A shot of Starscream blasting into space is buried in the middle of the credits. Scorponok is still running around somewhere (presumably) and we didn't see Barricade bite it either, so the door is still open on those three.

End spoiler.
« Last Edit: July 6, 2007, 11:54 PM by inadvertent imitation »
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 7, 2007, 12:06 AM »
I read somewhere that Prime "destroys" Barricade at some point during his encounter with Bonecrusher.  Is that false?

Offline BobaMOTSU

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 7, 2007, 08:23 AM »
SPOILERS!

As far as I know, Barricade didn't die.  He got his butt kicked by Bumblebee in the beginning, and he responded to Megatrons 'call to arms.'  I really hope he didn't die, I think he was the best Decepticon.  He's on my desk at work.   :)
"Think he's after your kyr'bes?"
-Mirta Gev

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 7, 2007, 04:56 PM »
Barricade was badass in the movie as were all of the Decepticons.  I loved how vicious he was to Sam and almost tried to kill him.  I just wonder why Bumblebee hid for some time while he was getting attacked.

Props to Scott for giving it an OCB 7...Come on now - if he says it's okay then it's good for all of you, right?  :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 7, 2007, 07:39 PM »
Saw it just now.

******* loved it. 

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 7, 2007, 10:20 PM »
saw it yet again today...second time in 24 hours  :o

i love the movie and after watching it a second time it made more sense to me.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #112 on: July 7, 2007, 10:46 PM »
I saw it this afternoon... and I really enjoyed it. Of course, I'm not a G1 nerd so I wasn't disappointed in some of the changes.   :-X ;)

It was kind of fun to hear Optimus Prime's voice again (like Scotty, I was a wee lad whence I last watched an episode of TFers).  I loved the Autobots and I really enjoyed the cheesy parts as well (such as all the 'bots hiding in the backyard).

I'll also agree with some of the thoughts here in that the transformations were badass - those effect do deserve an oscar for the way they carried them out.  When Bonecrusher and Prime transformed on the freeway to battle, it was totally geeky and I loved it.

There were some parts they could have cut to make the movie shorter (stuff with the dog, looking for the glasses), but it was still a lot of fun.  :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 7, 2007, 11:54 PM »
One question spoilerish question I guess...what happened to Starscream?  I never saw him get blown up when he kept transforming back and forth between jet/robot in the pack of fighter jets

SPOILER!!!!

Did you stay for the credits?  The third vignette in the credits is a shot of him jetting off into space - presumably to go get reinforcements.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 8, 2007, 12:58 AM »

SPOILER!!!

He pops off a few shots at Megatron when he pops back into Jet mode and flies with the crowd of fighters.

SPOILER!!!

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 8, 2007, 03:08 AM »
** Spoiler **

THey blow up the Death Star at the end !!!

** End Spoiler***

What?? Everyone else was doing it :)
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #116 on: July 8, 2007, 10:26 AM »

SPOILER!!!!

Did you stay for the credits? 

SPOILER!!!!

SPOILER!!!!

SPOILER!!!!

SPOILER!!!!

Nope...I really had to pee so I left :(

End SPOILER!!!!

End SPOILER!!!!

End SPOILER!!!!

End SPOILER!!!!

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #117 on: July 8, 2007, 10:40 AM »
Got a chance to see it last night.  I enjoyed it more than I thought I could have, which is saying a lot because I've seen virtually nothing but good reviews and I've always had a positive mentality about the movie anyway.  It was an exhilirating 2+ hour ride and kept me entertained throughout.  It didn't have the richest plot but the effects were mind-blowing and there were some great characters, including some of the robots themselves.  Shia Lebiouf (sp?) was charistmatic and very likeable, his parents provided some entertaining moments, and Bernie Mac and John Turturro were great in bit roles.  And Megan Fox was a treat to look at.  :) 

I completely geeked out when we were first introduced to Prime, and even more so during Starscream's attack on the F-22s, when he's morphing back and forth between modes to take out the fighter planes.  I would have liked seeing more of Starscream and the other Decepticons in non-action sequences, but eh...small gripe.  The only other gripe I have is that during the big battle sequence at the end things were moving so fast you couldn't tell which robot was who.  Hardly worth mentioning though.

It's pleasing to see that this movie has been a success, even to those fanboys that wouldn't stop bitching and moaning about how terrible it was going to be months before the movie came out.  :)

John

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 8, 2007, 12:35 PM »
I was beyond thrilled with the movie.  While I have to agree that it isn't going to win any awards for plot, the story was engaging enough that you (well, I) actually care about what happens to the characters.  The scene with Sector 7 capturing Bumblebee with Sam screaming for them to stop was rather moving.

The effects were stellar and better than anything I've seen done on certain levels.  I didn't think ILM could do better than ROTS, but they one-upped that in a huge way with this film.  Everything looked so realistic and not one shot stood out as being overly CG'd for the point of being CG'd.  There was a mass to the robots that I hadn't ever seen before in a CG character, and my previous personal benchmark of CG character perfection (Grievous) has been passed by with all of the Autobots and Decepticons.

The crowd went nuts on opening night (a lot of TF nerds in the crowd, myself included) with people not only clapping at the end, but at the first conversation between Megatron and Starscream, as well as the Prime vs. Megatron fight (which, and this isn't much of a spoiler, has dialogue pretty much lifted from their final battle in the original animated TF movie).  I saw it again projected digitally on Wednesday, and it was simply amazing to watch with a packed theater.  The crowd response has been really good, which has not seemed to be the case with other films I've seen this summer.

Someone claimed on another site (I can't remember which) that Barricade's door could be seen in the pile of junk on the aircraft carrier, but when I watched it again for the second time, I didn't catch it. 

And in all seriousness, the shot of Megan Fox's stomach and/or back as she was inspecting Bumblebee's engine was the most awe-inspiring shot in the film.  ;D

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 10, 2007, 04:01 AM »
Just finished watching this on TV Links, just amazing effects. I got the download but I have to see this on the large screen.  :o