Author Topic: The Transformers Live Action Movies  (Read 143113 times)

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
  • Flaming Human Torso Productions
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
Re: The Transformers Live Action Movies
« Reply #135 on: July 24, 2007, 06:49 AM »
http://www.the-editing-room.com/transformers.html

Pretty funny :)

Thank you for posting this!
It pretty much sums up my veiw on the movie...
I think I would have rather payed $9 for that article than the movie.
...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 25, 2007, 07:06 PM »
I really enjoyed this movie, however I have never actually seen or cared about he TF TV show.  I was tooo old for it when it came out.  But I have a question...why are all the good robots autos?  Meanwhile the bad guys get to fly all over the place, and these guys have to drive form place to place?  Seems like a losing battle to me.

In addition to what iFett said, another aspect of this is that the Decepticons' alt modes were supposed to be more threatening in general or, at the very least, associated with war machines (tanks, fighter jets, etc) or deception (Barricade being a police car that is subtly threatening; e.g. the "motto" on the side of the car).  The Autobots, being heroic, would be less threatening and benign, such as rescue vehicles, sports cars, and other wheeled vehicles. 

But then Jetfire and the Stunticons came along and that theory got shot all to hell. :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 07:07 PM by DoctorPadawan »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 29, 2007, 09:42 PM »
Okay, I finally saw it today and I have to say, I thought it was a great flick.  I wish the robot modes had stayed true to the 80's and had some trouble following the robot on robot action sequences, but overall I had a lot of fun.  The transforming noises and special effects were great, good plot, plenty of action - definitely worth the $7.  It was also a lot funnier than I realized - I was cracking up every 5 minutes or so at the jokes.  Definitely set up for a sequel, so I can't wait to see what they do next!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 4, 2007, 09:09 AM »
Saw this with a buddy yesterday.  Not too shabby.  I only know transformers from the cartoons.  Remember back in the day Toy companies could not advertise (with commercials) on the show the toy was represented in...so I had to watch TF to see the GI Joe toy commercials...but never got the TF toys.

I guess it is the "Old Man" that I am, but I found it pretty un-acceptable for viewing by the intended "Toy Buying Audience", if that was in fact the intended audience.   The Masturbation reference and Violence seemed a bit pointless.  And by Violence, I mean the actual deaths.  I don't know about your kids, but my Daughter would want to know what happened to that family in the Mini Van that got thrown into the building or the guy that got Skewered by the Scorpion-o-bot.  I realize they had to shoot at each other and knock over buildings and blow stuff up, but human carnage seemed a bit over the top if this was a "kids" movie.

And having a police car as a bad guy?  I am trying to get my kid to trust the police if she is lost or heaven forbid taken/abducted, did a rapper cast that part?

But I guess with a PG-13 rating she'll be waiting at least 5-6 years before she sees it anyway.  I know it is nitpicking and I admit to being a fuddy-duddy, but what are they going to do with the My Little Pony movie? Have Animal Husbandry jokes and let some of the Ponies Donkey-Punch the others....

Now a few things that concerned me cinematically (and I am no film critic, I have no training, I just have my personal tastes)...would somebody please tell directors to STOP using the Saving Private Ryan filming style?  It distracts from the story if you shake the camera every 5 minutes.  I realize you don't have to do good CGI if you use Shaky Camera Blurry Vision the whole time but that and Crouching Tiger Hidded Dragon/Matrix stuff is really killing movies for me.

And I have to agree with whoever said the Robot forms would have been nicer if they were more consistent with what they were when in "Car/Plane Form"...

The little Jar Jar Binks robot thing was about as annoying as hell.  Was that "Soundwave"?  If so that is pretty disappointing...

All that bitching aside, I'd go see a sequel.  And it certainly is set for one.

Also, the Human combat team as much as it pains me, would have been neat if that had been Sgt. Hauser or Capt. Abernathy instead of "Lennox".  That team would make a pretty cool basis for the GI Joe movie.  Just please don't let Michael Bay direct it....

Oh and Bumble Bee should have been a Volkswagen bug...VW sure didn't have a problem with "War" when they were suppliers to the German Army from 1936-1975...

And my buddy and I were talking after the movie...what does this movie do to TF continuity?  What is Canon in the TF world?

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #139 on: August 4, 2007, 10:23 AM »
I guess it is the "Old Man" that I am, but I found it pretty un-acceptable for viewing by the intended "Toy Buying Audience", if that was in fact the intended audience.

Thus the PG-13 rating.  I find it kind of silly to complain that a movie isn't acceptble to a 6-7 year old when it's very clear by the rating that it's intended for 13+ years.

Oh and Bumble Bee should have been a Volkswagen bug...VW sure didn't have a problem with "War" when they were suppliers to the German Army from 1936-1975...

But not nearly as silly as I find this comment.   ::)

John

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 5, 2007, 09:31 AM »
And my buddy and I were talking after the movie...what does this movie do to TF continuity?  What is Canon in the TF world?

Its a teen and older flick, not a kids movie.  See the animated cartoon for a kids version.  As for continuity, this is the issue with anything that moves from a book to the big screen.  Spiderman has the same issues, X-Men have the same issues...heck, Star Wars is about the only fantasy stomping ground where the film and books don't clash and even within the world of star wars there are some questionable continuity issues.  I would have loved to see the movie just copy the old marvel comics, but I'm also pleased witht he movie that was put out.  In the end, isn't it just about whether or not you were entertained?  In the words of Maximus - Are you not entertained!?  ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 16, 2007, 08:31 PM »
Any word on a release date for the DVD? This was one of my favorite summer movies, behind Spider-Man 3.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #142 on: August 19, 2007, 04:17 PM »
There's no American release date yet, but I assume it'll be out the same time most other summer blockbusters are out- after Halloween and before Christmas.

There's rumor of 1- and 2-disc versions, much like 300, but it's still very much wait-and-see.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 19, 2007, 04:24 PM »
According to ComingSoon.net, we haven't seen the last of the Transformers on the big screen this year, except now the screen is about to get bigger!

REALLY Giant Robots are Coming!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 19, 2007, 10:40 PM »
If I recall correclty - there's supposed to be some sort of prequel that will be included on the DVD in "limited" animation that will lead into the second flick.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 21, 2007, 06:45 PM »
Bay to pull out of Transformers 2 over HD DVD decision ?

Sounds pretty childish to me.   ::)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #146 on: August 22, 2007, 12:15 AM »
That's OK with me. Hopefully someone like Ridley Scott saw the first movie and said to himself "I could do better" and decides to direct TF2.

While I'm wishing, I'd like a cool million bucks.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #147 on: August 22, 2007, 08:19 AM »
Bay reposted saying he acted rashly and WILL do number 2 now.  ::)

His blog says it all.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 22, 2007, 08:48 AM »
cant say i really know the difference between all these new dvd formats. my only question is...we are still seeing this on normal DVD right?
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 22, 2007, 08:57 AM »
my only question is...we are still seeing this on normal DVD right?

Yes.