Author Topic: The Transformers Live Action Movies  (Read 143192 times)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: The Transformers Live Action Movies
« Reply #405 on: June 24, 2009, 06:50 AM »
"It’s like the script was written in one sitting on a Morphine bender, with the writer nodding in and out of consciousness, thinking that he’d already written what happened in his dreams and simply picking back up where the dream left off."

I'm honestly not trying to hate on the film--I'm sure I'll see it eventually, probably on DVD--but these are too funny to let pass. Reviewers seem to be having more fun coming up with descriptive bashing (frequently involving household appliances) than they did actually watching the film.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 24, 2009, 08:07 AM »
Oh well, I had a nice day off planned going trap shooting with my Dad then out to see Transformers in the afternoon with my fiancee, but after reading this review, sounds like my afternoon plans might change:

"And I haven't even begun to talk about the racist-caricature robots of "The Twins," who speak in thug slang and "aren't much for reading" and talk about getting "up in that ass," and one of whom has, I wish I were kidding, a gold tooth. Or about how when the film isn't drooling over Megan Fox's poreless, lifeless form and visage, it's busy calling women "bitches" and throwing around "*****" as an insult."

I seriously was not expecting that.  Aren't kids supposed to go see this movie?  Society has probably slid even further down the evolutionary scale than I originally thought.

The critic in the link comes across as angry and bitter, but if he's right about the language used, this movie went from a "must see" to an easy "Pass" in a blink of an eye.

***CAUTION: If you go as far as to click the link, stop short of reading 8 lines up from the bottom because I think the critic probably blew the movie for a lot of people.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 08:12 AM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 24, 2009, 08:19 AM »
I just read some of the other reviews you guys posted.  This is probably the worst collection of reviews I've ever seen for a movie.

And it will probably stay that way until G.I. Joe is released.

Oh well, at least Wolverine Origins was awesome.  

I just decided to go see The Proposal instead later, what I've read about Transformers 2 was that potent.  I normally don't pay any attention to movie reviews, but these really blew me away!!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 08:22 AM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 24, 2009, 09:54 AM »
IGN's review isn't exactly positive either (and I notice the Tomato meter is pretty low right now too).  They also mention the Mudflap/Skids characters as being quite offensive.  I still want to check it out, and look forward to it, but it is too bad the reviews are pretty poor at this point.  I'm sure it will still make buckets of money, regardless.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 24, 2009, 10:00 AM »
Really, are you guys surprised?

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 24, 2009, 10:32 AM »
Reviewers seem to be having more fun coming up with descriptive bashing (frequently involving household appliances) than they did actually watching the film.

I especially liked this one from Roger Ebert:

"If you want to save yourself the ticket price, go into the kitchen, cue up a male choir singing the music of hell, and get a kid to start banging pots and pans together. Then close your eyes and use your imagination."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 24, 2009, 11:51 AM »
My producing partners tricked me into thinking about seeing the new film and gave me the first one to see in preparation. First time I ever saw it. Horrible, horrible movie. Setting the lack luster story aside, Michael Bay is so unsuited for this material. Needless to say, I have been excused from seeing the second.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 24, 2009, 12:14 PM »
The reviews I read so far aren't particularly good for the movie.  The first TF was OK for me, and I wasn't planning on seeing this latest edition.  One of my hardcore TF buddies asked me to go see it however, so I'll oblige and check this film out.  I just hope I don't come out of it going why did I waste 10 bucks to see this movie (may be around 20 if I count my step son).

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 24, 2009, 12:44 PM »
The first movie was okay(ish) - but by no means was it a horrible movie.  I was planning on leaving work early to see it, but no hurry it seems.  I guess I'll wait until Saturday.  I'm all for offensive humor, but ya they should have kids in mind, but what do you want for a PG-13 movie?  I guess one of the twins is voiced by the black hacker dude from the first movie.

-haven't read much into the reviews beyond what's posted here so I don't have high hopes, but I'm still looking forward to seeing what Bay did this time.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #415 on: June 24, 2009, 01:14 PM »
I guess one of the twins is voiced by the black hacker dude from the first movie.

According to a review up on AICN, both are voiced by the guy who does Spongebob Squarepants.

That makes me want to see it now...
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 24, 2009, 01:39 PM »
I liked the first movie, so I caught this last night with my brother and a friend. The theatre was packed, and they had four or five separate showings at midnight. It was a fun movie and all, but I thought that the story was just a repeat of the plot in the first film. The action was good, the explosions and stuff were awesome, but that was it.

The film reminded me quite a bit of the recent Terminator, in that the story and character development were rather week. Unlike Terminator, the action in Transformers lived up to my expectations. The other thing that set Tranformers apart was the humor, which did seem quite edgy. I thought some of the jokes were a bit much for a PG-13 movie but back when I was in middle school I heard a lot worse from classmates.

I went in wanting two things: giant robot ass kicking and Megan Fox. The movie did not disappoint, but if you're going in expecting Star Trek then you're going to be let down. This had summer popcorn movie written all over it. Thankfully, if you see this and don't like it, you can see G.I. Joe in August. That'll make Transformers look like a masterpiece!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 24, 2009, 01:41 PM »
Entertainment Weekly gives it a "B", one of the few positive reviews I've seen so far.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 24, 2009, 03:07 PM »
I can see some of the complaints in these reviews, but honestly, I'm not politically correct enough to have been offended by any of the sight gags or potential stereotypes that they're finding.  I don't think the Skids and Mudflap characters were necessarily any worse than Jazz in the first film introducing himself with the line "What's crackin' little bitches?"

And I believe Turturro used the word "*****" one time when his character, Simmons, called Sam's roomate Leo a ***** for not wanting to go on this adventure with him. 

Now, the leg humping robot on the other hand, I wasn't offended but I did think it was stupid.  It was one of those scenes where it almost seemed like an inside joke, "everyone wants to leg hump Megan Fox so we'll just thrown this in" type of thing.

I liked T:RotF better than Terminator and Wolverine, definitely better than Angels & Demons which I thought was an abomination.  I'm happy with it.  I wanted to see robots fight and **** get blown up...and Megan Fox's boobs bounce.  Plus, nobody has even mentioned Isabel Lucas yet. She may, in fact, be as hot if not hotter than Megan.  So that's +1 hotness for the win in my book.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 24, 2009, 06:15 PM »
Transformers' rakes in $16 million

Transformers can boast the biggest midnight gross for a movie opening on a Wednesday.

word
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN