Author Topic: 2008 Rumors and Speculation  (Read 58496 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Rumors and Speculation
« Reply #195 on: December 17, 2007, 02:35 PM »
Agreed... a new sculpt would be the icing on the cake for OT vehicles as far as I'm concerned... very unlikely that it could be to scale or anything, but I'm thinking that it will be quite a bit larger than the vintage mold. 

I'd love to see an extending hatch for Lando to rescue Luke.   :)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 17, 2007, 02:39 PM »
I'd love to see an extending hatch for Lando to rescue Luke.   :)

A med-bay would be cool too so Luke can lay there with his arm bacta thingy.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #197 on: December 17, 2007, 03:00 PM »
There's nothing in that report that indicates that the Falcon will be any bigger:

The current plan is a retooled Falcon that not only has lights, sounds, and firing missiles, it also has character sound bites and can fit 20 figures!

The most recent update to the Falcon included lights, sounds, and firing missiles, so that's no big deal.  Neither is a new sound bite chip.  The 20 figures thing is a bit puzzling, though.

One thing that I've always found strange about all the Falcon toys is that huge wedge or pie slice that's blocked off, that you can't do anything with.  I've never dismantled a Falcon, so I don't know what all is housed in that section, but perhaps they've found a way to open that up for another little play area.  Maybe that's the big retool, I don't know.  Just a guess.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 17, 2007, 03:23 PM »
I hope you're wrong about that Matt, but that could very well be the way they're going with this.  If it is, I'll most likely pass.

New = Chewie buys. 

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #199 on: December 17, 2007, 07:05 PM »
From Hasbro.com today:

The coming year is going to be very exciting for Hasbro’s boys properties. We realize that fans are anticipating 2008 as much as we are, and that speculation on our line is a large part of the excitement.  Fans of Hasbro’s boys brands may be noticing some information circulating on the web.  While you may be tempted to believe that this information is accurate, we want to remind our fans, that unless product information or images are posted on an official Hasbro brand site, brand Q&A, or released by Hasbro’s Corporate Communications team, the information is not authorized and therefore not official.  We do not want to get consumer hopes up when rumors turn out to be unfounded.

We can’t wait to share great information, images and products with fans of all ages at the appropriate time as determined by Hasbro and, as appropriate, our licensors.

The various rumor mills have either hit a big nerve with Hasbro and spoiled a chunk of their TF and CC plans or we've set ourselves up for some large disappointments in the coming year.  :-\

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 07:32 PM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 17, 2007, 08:05 PM »
Wow.  This is a pretty significant response from Hasbro.

I've heard that some people inside Hasbro have been wondering just where Rebelscum has been getting info and/or hard copies of product so early.  I wonder if this info might be significant enough that Hasbro is able to trace it back to the party who leaked it out.

They had taken a hard stance on things like this a few years back.  I remember their PR team basically threatening to embargo websites that were posting unauthorized imagery of some unannounced figures.  I wonder if this incident is going to elicit a similar response towards collecting sites.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 08:07 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #201 on: December 17, 2007, 08:40 PM »
Well, I can see Hasbro's point. 

There is a lot of stuff that gets cancelled or made exclusive or delayed, so it's not like everything on the 411 rumor list is guaranteed.  Many folks take these lists as 100% gospel, but there are often a lot of misses on them...

Let's look back at RS's 411 for 2007:

- 30th Anniversary Showcase Poster Packs? never happened
- Wave 3: RotJ - Oola w/Chain never happened
- Wave 4: AOTC - Mace Windu #2 never happened
- Wave 4: AOTC - EU Yuuzhan Vong never happened
- Limited Edition Vintage Assortment - Jawa never happened
- Limited Edition Vintage Assortment - Bespin Han Solo never happened

Those are just a few examples, I'm sure if you dug into all those 411 lists, you could find more. 

Anyway, yeah - rumor lists are fun, but you have to remember they are just that - rumor lists.  I'm sure there are a few clunkers on the current list, only time will tell I guess.  ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #202 on: December 17, 2007, 09:14 PM »
Exactly Jeff, and that's why sometimes I think the over-zealous nature of forums is a detriment to posting anything anyway...  I think it's contained in a smaller community where we've all been in this for a long time mostly.  We know the ropes, and that things change, and we also know a rumor and a wishlist are things that can easily get misconstrued...  And I think that happens with some "intent" at times through certain people.

Your list is a perfect example Jeff, of things that maybe were on lists and nixed, maybe got prototyped and dropped, or for all we know they weren't even discussed or seriously considered, and simply were someone's wishful thinking.

You go to a site like rebelscum's forums though, and you've got a TON of people saying a lot of basically bull**** things about new products.  Case-in-point would be AT-TE news from the past week...  Cool and all, but immediately I got a number of mails about exclusivity and such to Target...  People see a Target DPCI and there was immediate rapid stupidity claiming it as exclusive to that store, then panic sets in with others over exclusivity they "heard", and things.

One person says it, another believes it and says it again, and so goes the growing snowball effect...  And that's just simply not the truth or even known at the moment.

Such is the hobby though...  It was the same 10 years ago, just different players at the time.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 09:18 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #203 on: December 17, 2007, 09:33 PM »
I do not see their point at all.

Whether it's true or not I feel that was a pretty dick move on Hasbro's part to release a statement like that. Part of the fun is the speculation & rumors about the line and finding out whats coming through leaks. They should be thankful we are that interested in it to care what's coming out next year. So what if it's true, like it's really going to affect what we buy. From what I heard everyone is pretty juiced about the list. If it turns out some of it's not true for various reasons what does it really change? If anything it is a good indicator for a possible future release. **** happens, they should not have their panties in a bunch. (Seeing the faces under the Mandos I am not surprised by this)

Sometimes Hasbro's no comment answers just dont cut it. The UBP were so hush-hush when it was so well known for months. What was their response the entire time: "no comment". Target's a bunch of ***********, they should be happy we shop there at all the way they treat us yet we gobbled them all up, well at least the UBPs. (The Arcs, Arc BP & AT-RT are rotting nicely.)

You know where Rebelscum gets their info? I will tell you, most likely from a sales rep. It's quite common in the Toy industry that information of line lists leak through sales reps that have the information to present to buyers. They have to solicit order sheets for forecasts. RS has a good contact most likely in the sales division. When I was at Mattel we knew what Hasbro and every other company had up their sleeves 80% of the time. Word gets out and we are days away form 2008, the line is buttoned up. 75% is in production or produced to ship in time, they know whats coming out so do not buy that garbage for a second. Very few things at this point will get moved or dropped.

I am not going to let Hasbro make me feel like my hand was slapped because "I dipped into the cookie jar". They can get that 3.75 figure and shove it 3.75 inches up their ass. Let them try and "punish" us. Like politicians, you have to make your voice heard with your vote. In the case of Hasbro make them hear you with your dollar. They will listen. We have no reason to grovel.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 09:37 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 17, 2007, 10:28 PM »
Hasbro has one legitimate point that I can understand:  they don't want to get people's expectations up needlessly.  That leads to bad feelings among collectors and I can understand them trying to avoid some bad PR.

But Hasbro has SOME responsibility to bear here.  Why?  Because they're letting collector media dominate the news cycle about the line.  News releases have been few and far between.  The Q&A process has been a nice sort of news supplement, but we've gotten less and less in the way of news releases from Hasbro.  Hasbro has let the situation change so that collectors are depending more on collecting websites than on official Hasbro news.  The end result is that those websites run with what news they can find, and since they're collector media and not regular press they'll publish info without the fact checking and confirmations that a regular reporter would do.

If Hasbro decides to be more forthcoming with the info, then maybe they wouldn't feel the need to post the things they said today.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 18, 2007, 09:21 AM »
But Hasbro has SOME responsibility to bear here.  Why?  Because they're letting collector media dominate the news cycle about the line.  News releases have been few and far between.  The Q&A process has been a nice sort of news supplement, but we've gotten less and less in the way of news releases from Hasbro.  Hasbro has let the situation change so that collectors are depending more on collecting websites than on official Hasbro news.  The end result is that those websites run with what news they can find, and since they're collector media and not regular press they'll publish info without the fact checking and confirmations that a regular reporter would do.

If Hasbro decides to be more forthcoming with the info, then maybe they wouldn't feel the need to post the things they said today.

This is an excellent point.  When is the last time you can remember Hasbro.com breaking new info about the Star Wars line?  Sure, there have always been rumors circling when things are on the way, but I think even with the first round of the VOTC figures, the first time we really saw them well was on Hasbro's site.  These days, the updates are virtually non-existent.  Like you mentioned, if they would debut figure waves/etc. on their site, and not act like these toys are national security issues, they wouldn't have nearly the problems with rumor lists and speculation most likely.  Its part of the age we live in now with the internet, but if they kept their site a little more update with news and not just new games or things like that, it would probably help the situation a bit for Hasbro.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 18, 2007, 09:46 AM »
I agree 100% with JACKOFTRADZE.

If hasbro wants to keep us from being disappointed, then they need to diffuse this now by just coming out with the info.
Yes, they wanted to hold it until ToyFair, but in today's age, holding onto news is just unrealistic.
If the news of the AT-TE (among the other RS 411 reports) then Hasbro needs to say so definitively.

Problem is they say this or that is not coming out, then BAM 6 months later there it is.
We all know Hasbro's claims that it takes a year of longer for a toy to make it to market.
So if they make a claim that something isn't coming out, then 6 months later it does, we all know they are LYING.

So rather than admonish we collectors for getting excited about this, they should relish in this if indeed the report is true.
It should be clear to Hasbro now from the great response the AT-TE is getting. If that report ISN'T true, then at the least it's excellent consumer feedback for them without them having to do any work.

I've got to be honest to say that while I'm stoked by the report, the specs for the AT-TE as given seem like a fanboy dream. Lights, sounds and room for 20 clones??? That seems WAY over the top. I'm still hoping that if made it will have room for 7 clones and doesn't have to have lights and sound, just be in scale. That would be quite enough for me.

It's a wait and see on our part, but Hasbro should not tell us to basically "shut up" about the news.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 18, 2007, 10:14 AM »
Although we know things (with Hasbro's news) likely won't change anytime soon, how would you like to see the news be released?  If Hasbro did choose to actually release news on their website, would you like it in small doses (holding some for Toy Fair and/or Comic Con), would you like to know what's coming for the first half of the year, or the entire year at once?  Would you like a basic outline/idea, and then maybe get pics and further info in small doses throughout the year?

Although I'm always ready for more/new information, I guess I don't mind if we get it in doses throughout the year.  I don't necessarily like having only Toy Fair and Comic Con be the times when we actually get concrete information from Hasbro about the upcoming year's releases.  If Comic Con is the place where we see the "remainder of 2008" lineup/exclusives, I guess that is ok.  It seems like the first half of the year is often when things are slow, as far as news and stuff goes.  If Hasbro wants to "beat the websites to the punch", I think they should consider at least a few product updates and news releases other than the big Fairs.  To be honest, I'm surprised we haven't gotten a concrete lineup and/or pictures leaked of Wave 3 (after to ROTS and Force Unleashed waves) of 2008 by this point.  It seems like we often have seen stuff like this by now.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #208 on: December 18, 2007, 10:26 AM »
Although I'm always ready for more/new information, I guess I don't mind if we get it in doses throughout the year.  I don't necessarily like having only Toy Fair and Comic Con be the times when we actually get concrete information from Hasbro about the upcoming year's releases. 

I wouldn't mind if Hasbro handled product news like the QnA where one QnA participant a week is given a true exclusive tidbit on new merchandise, rather than denying the existence of a known product or the happenstance of the right site asking the right question on the right cycle.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 10:28 AM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 18, 2007, 10:51 AM »
Although I'm always ready for more/new information, I guess I don't mind if we get it in doses throughout the year.  I don't necessarily like having only Toy Fair and Comic Con be the times when we actually get concrete information from Hasbro about the upcoming year's releases. 

I wouldn't mind if Hasbro handled product news like the QnA where one QnA participant a week is given a true exclusive tidbit on new merchandise, rather than denying the existence of a known product or the happenstance of the right site asking the right question on the right cycle.

This would be much more acceptable.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010