Author Topic: Clone trooper/stormtrooper armor  (Read 4566 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Clone trooper/stormtrooper armor
« on: October 14, 2006, 08:12 PM »
I just found myself wondering, does anyone have an example of a clone trooper or stormtrooper that was hit by a blaster, had the shot successfully stopped or repelled by the armor, got back up and started fighting again?

I was just thinking back to the Utapau battle and Cody's clones got ripped to shreds by the droid army, dropped like flies all over the damn place from single blaster shots to the body.

I'm starting to wonder if there was a point to the armor.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
Re: Clone trooper/stormtrooper armor
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 07:33 PM »
In the movies nope, maybe just to look cool for stormies & to tie up to stormie for clones.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 04:13 PM »
I think its to repel shrapnel and deflect glancing blaster shots, but honestly I've never seen shot get deflected...and the ewoks schooled the Empire with sticks and stones.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 04:57 PM »
Oh please.... You can bring down any stormtrooper with a rock!
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 12:31 PM »
Armor, traditionally here on Earth anyway, has never been a foolproof way of keeping the wearer alive, but it's helped.  Body armor on today's modern soldier for instance can stop a weak shot, deflected shot, glancing shot, etc...  It also can protect against some shrapnel and other combat hazards.

In World War I, Trench Raiders often donned armor because of close-quarters combat situations that were fairly routine, but they obviously wouldn't protect the wearer perfectly.

Going all the way back to the Middle Ages and the advent of plate armor, the plate armor was quite protective against long bows, and it certainly helped protect the wearer against some melee combat, but the crossbow put an end to that, and finding the chinks in the armor became the norm for the common footsoldier...  Weapons specially designed to draw the armored soldier off his horse and then systematically hack/slash at him till you opened up his shiny duds was the rule on the battlefield...  And then there was the ever-present "blunt force trama" where if you hit someone hard enough with a club or heavy weapon, even in armor, you still break something.

I think in Star Wars terms the armor did what armor's done for centuries on Earth...  It gave some protection, but certainly not complete protection.  In Star Wars blasters pierce through it with ease but even in Episode 3 we don't see a ton of heavy combat up close save for Utapau which seems to not have things like Artillery and whatnot taking place to see how the armor would react to a fragmented energy blast in a cluster of troops...  Would a couple die, and a couple get up?  I think so personally...  Some would get the lucky glancing blast while others took a full-on hit and died.  But would ANY have survived if they didn't have the armor on?

On Endor, the same thing applies as in the middle ages when a knight would be unhorsed...  A warhammer to the head could knock him unconscious at the very least, despite his helmet's supposed protection.  A bow hit to the armpit, or the groin, would incapacitate him for certain...  A broken arm at the elbow, a broken knee or ankle, a knife in the torso between the plates...  Stormtroopers were swarmed by Ewoks, having 3 or 4 weighting them down then beating them mercilessly...  Not a positive situation despite the armor.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 7, 2006, 07:46 PM »
I always thought it depended on the calibur of the blaster fired.
Like a little Blasterpistol wouldnt really do too much damage.
But in the Star Wars Republic series there are a few shots of clones getting hit with lasers and surviving. I meen Bly gets shot in the head and it only destroyed the helmet, he was perfectly alright.
The empire really had to cut down on the militaries armor, making it cheap but getting better equipment.
The stormtrooper armor was also weaker, mainly because with so many new recruits they would need mass produced armor, which is in turn cheap but still effective.
Although the armor was downgraded considerably next to the clone armor they still got better blasters, equipment ect.
Also considering the fact that there wasnt a really big threat, like the seperatists were during the clone wars, the empire had grown arrogant and powerful so they always thought that they were impervious to anything.
Not to mention the fact that to the empire the rebels were just a little band of poorly equiped militia they hadnt really a need to go for the best armor they could get.
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #6 on: November 9, 2006, 01:29 AM »
The empire really had to cut down on the militaries armor, making it cheap but getting better equipment.
The stormtrooper armor was also weaker, mainly because with so many new recruits they would need mass produced armor, which is in turn cheap but still effective.

Where are you getting this? You keep saying that the Empire had to cheapen its armor in order to cover its recruits, but you have yet to give us a source to back that up. Are you pulling this from your ass or is this another one of your Battlefront "cannon" facts? How is the mass produced armor for the clones somehow better than the mass produced armor of the stormtroopers? Was the Empire having financial woes? Were there union problems with the manufacturers?

Although the armor was downgraded considerably next to the clone armor they still got better blasters, equipment ect.

How was the armor "considerably downgraded" from what the clones had? How is the Stormtrooper's equipment better than the Clones? Again, it sounds like you've just pulled an idea from your ass without even thinking about it.

Let me ask you, if the Empire was so broke that it HAD to cut down on the cost of armor for its recruits, why then spend more money to produce better equipment and arms than what the clones already had?

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 9, 2006, 10:43 PM »
Sorry, I found the information on wikipedia a little while ago.  :-[
I just realized its not exactly the most correct info on the web.

Hmmm...I'm going to have to look further into the clone and stormtrooper armor. :-\
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 12:15 PM »
Well I just checked Wiki, and the article on Stormtrooper Armor, and it doesn't mention anything about the Empire having financial woes and cheapening the troopers armor. Matter of fact, the Clonetrooper page notes that Phase II armor is the basis of the standard Stormtrooper's armor.

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 12:20 PM »
Yeah I checked up on it a while ago. I need to put more research into it.  :-\
Hopefully wiki is still reliable.
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 12:38 PM »
Wiki can be useful, but it is definitely not reliable. It's opinion-based fact, at best, where anyone in the world can edit an article without providing a single reference. Your best bet is to keep to the books and comics, visual guides and blueprints, and simply forget about the videogames and animated cartoons.

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 08:01 PM »
Yeah Wiki, right.  When I am bored I mess with "facts" in there.

As a general rule of thumb you do not take the word of something that is freely edited by every moron out there (self included sometimes).
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.