Author Topic: Jar Jar Binks  (Read 17572 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Jar Jar Binks
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2005, 12:41 AM »
I thought he was animated well actually, but the dialogue and manner in which he was present in scenes was what killed him.  You subtitle him, or have 3PO interpret (Or have Padme interpret as if she can speak their language from living on Naboo, and obviously limit some of what he's saying) and I think he'd have been better...  Loyd I think's just a bad actor start to finish.

I agree wholeheartedly with not having to watch TPM and AOTC...  Though I would like my gf to try watching AOTC before this weekend, but that's not going to happen.  TPM though, it really is useless overall.  E2's story sorta helps...  It gives some "beginning" to things as they are ending in E3...  TPM does nothing.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jagdohh_Fett

• Jedi Initiate
  • Never to be remembered ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 2, 2005, 10:17 PM »
Yep, I don't much care for Jar Jar either.
"If I'm not back in 5 minutes ... just wait longer."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 3, 2005, 02:02 PM »
Here's my thoughts on Jar Jar, and I have a feeling a lot of you are going to slap your head and scream "of course" after you read this:

Was Jar Jar annoying? Yes? Was he a clown? Yes. But, this is the reason why Jar Jar was a total failure as a character - he did not follow any type of heroic arc. Jar Jar was introduced as a screw up, and he remained a screw up through out the entire film. Jar Jar would have been much more succesful (as a character, purely on a story level) if he had actually learned something durring his journey and then applied it while in battle to help take out some battle droids. He still would have been annoying, but in the end, I think somewhat tolerable with some redeeming quality.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2005, 02:58 PM »
Recently I re-watched TPM twice (once in preparation for ROTS and once after) .... it might just be the 6 years of people bitching finally having an effect on me, but I must say, Jar Jar wears thin a lot faster now than when I was 13.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2005, 10:48 PM »
Darth Anton, that is the best Jar-Jar observation I have every read.  I've often felt the same thing.

I remember seeing some picture from TPM of Jar-Jar on the Naboo battlefield,  the caption was "Jar-Jar saves the day."  I was like, "huh?  When?"
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline VadereX

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2005, 09:14 PM »
Ehhh, he doesn't ruin the movie at all or anything, but by the end he is kind of annoying. He's not that bad IMO though.

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 5, 2005, 10:35 PM »
Heh, Just take away the moronic way of talking from him and it would have been a LOT better!  There you still have goofy for the kids and not mindrattling annoyance for the adults.

Yeah Anakin acting stunk too.  Just a simple cutting back of his lines would have helped greatly.

Lucas just SUCKS at dialogue, no ifs ands or buts about it.  Lucas needs help with dialogue. IT was much better in the OT before Lucas become the unquestiond diety of all things. He needs someone to tell him the truth. "George your dialogue sucks, my 6 year old could do better, seek help!"
who Learned you To spoke!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 7, 2005, 12:28 PM »
He needs someone to tell him the truth. "George your dialogue sucks, my 6 year old could do better, seek help!"

He did, his name was Gary Kurtz. Lucas fired him for it.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 8, 2005, 12:20 AM »
LOL AH, the almighty Oz has decreed no criticism!

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2005, 10:56 PM »
Heh, Just take away the moronic way of talking from him and it would have been a LOT better!  There you still have goofy for the kids and not mindrattling annoyance for the adults.

Yeah Anakin acting stunk too.  Just a simple cutting back of his lines would have helped greatly.

Lucas just SUCKS at dialogue, no ifs ands or buts about it.  Lucas needs help with dialogue. IT was much better in the OT before Lucas become the unquestiond diety of all things. He needs someone to tell him the truth. "George your dialogue sucks, my 6 year old could do better, seek help!"

It's hard to write good dialogue. Especially when your story is populated with armed hippies, planet-destryoing superlasers, and Ewoks, and it's set in a galaxy far, far away.

Some of the best-written dialogue also doesn't sound like the way people talk. Witness Kevin Smith's movies (except Jersey Girl, of course). Sure, it reads well, but you can just see the guys who played Dante and Randal are reading cue cards occasionally.

Not saying Jar Jar and Anakin are excused from anything, just saying it's damn hard to write effective dialogue.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2005, 02:53 AM »
When I can come up with better lines on the spot, yeah that's a sign for improvement.

Lucas and dialogue don't get along

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2005, 04:56 PM »
**** the dialog side track.......

JarJar= hated IT >:(
         = wanted to see him assasinated after the funeral
             by a betraying ANNAKIN slicing him in half from
             between neck and shoulder to down by hip...watch
             top half slide off while he makes that dumb little
             surprised sound he makes. ;)
          = if this happened I would hear several adult males
             in the audience snickering in delight and I really
             think it would help jusify a PG13 rating and darken
             the film more! ;D

Offline blaster_e11

• Jedi Initiate
  • Charming to the last
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #42 on: October 7, 2005, 07:15 AM »
hey guys as i've already done on other boards, i have to confess something about jarjar, and i'm not proud of it : my wife love the guy (she still calls him "jajar" though) and she makes me buy jar jar toys  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
"Wars don't make one great"

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #43 on: October 9, 2005, 05:30 AM »
Weird as it may seem I think I am one of the only people who is NOT bothered by Jar-Jar. I don't know why but for some reason I can tolerate him and almost like him.
"This is the way."

Offline Mr.el lucco

• Banned
  • Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2005, 07:21 PM »
How could you hate him he has a major involment in the story. But it is belaved he died on alderaan after the death star blew it up.