Author Topic: Virginia Tech tragedy  (Read 10104 times)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Virginia Tech tragedy
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2007, 09:51 PM »
I'd listen to Brent, since I think he's even experienced a couple of World Wars in his day.

Yeah but that was a long time ago back in his prime.  He burst onto the scene experiencing the Revolutionary War followed by the plight of The Civil War.

;)

Don't forget his earlier years during the Crusades.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2007, 12:16 AM »
I was talking with my brother and his family yesterday and heard that my sister-in-law's niece goes to VT and one of her friends was wounded, but expected to recover.

I wish these sick bastards would just shoot themselves first instead of last in these homicidal rampages.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2007, 01:53 AM »
... I think you're mistaken for calling him a cop-out and writing him off as the typical self-righteous teen who cares for no one other than himself.  I'm probably closer to him than I am to you in age (25), but the bottom line is the world is a *far* more dangerous place than it was even 10 years ago.  "Our generation" may not have collectively pulled out heads out of our asses yet, but for those of us that have, we really wish there were a way we could shove 'em back in.  Yeah, it's that bad.

So you think it's worse now than it used to be?  Hmm, interesting.  I'll certainly agree that I was unfair to Nathan, but that was probably spurred on by drinking (post sober) and the fact I interviewed 12 of his generational cohort that were so apathetic we're hiring none of them.  "I'm owed...."  "We have to work so hard..."   "It's so much more dangerous..."  No.  No.  And no. 

September 11.  The war in Afghanistan.  Daily violence in Iraq.  Terrorist attacks all over the world.  Oklahoma City.  Columbine.  And now, VT.  And these are just the things we *know* about going on in the world, the events the media covers regularly and with a lot of thunder.  Can't you have a little bit of understanding for growing nonchalant about near-daily reports of another 30 people killed in Baghdad?
Ever heard of Vietnam?  How about Eritrea?  Uganda?  Rwanda?  Sorry, just because you're actually paying attention because Americans are getting killed doesn't make it any more dangerous today than it used to be.  Mass murders, terrorist attacks, pointless wars are what history is made of.  Nothing has changed.

Well, maybe not quite.  It comes faster, but I'll stick to my guns.  Just because I'm older than dust doesn't mean bad news came by stage coach.  It came that night or the next day, much as the VT information that was accurate did.  All we got immediately was speculation mixed with fact.  The accuracies followed the next day, much as they did when dinosaurs (and me) roamed the earth. 

Can I have understanding for being nonchalant?  Nope, I have no time for apathy regardless of the driving force.  Can I understand how it would depress the hell out of Nathan?  Sure, absolutely.  But here's Nathan's statement that caught my attention:
I have to say it's true. Growing up amid a constant media/Internet barrage of shuttle explosions, terrorist attacks, cult deaths, and school massacres has made me a little dead to all of it. Intellectually, I appreciate that this sort of thing never happened back in the '80s/'70s/'60s'/'50s when you other guys were kids so it's different for you--but for my entire conscious lifetime, that's just how the world has worked.

So I guess I can be entirely numb to, because I grew up under the literal specter of nuclear war.  Go watch the horrid movie The Day After.  It was released in 1983 and it scared the frickin' crap out of just about everyone.  You think Afghanistan and Iraq are depressing?  How about constant media barage about the end of the world?  Just because you're starting to see it now doesn't mean it hasn't happened before. 

The world's a pretty ******* evil place and I'd be careful to write off those who aren't shocked into silence by these tragedies as callous.  I don't think callousness is what they feel.  More like helplessness.

Helpless is fine, but don't come off as being callous, because that's what Nathan did.  He's assuming us old ***** have never experienced anything and that it's fine to be numb, or that's the impression he left.  That's all and I'm calling him to task on it.  I actually happen to think he's not a bad guy at all.  If I didn't give a ****, I would have kept quiet.

Tell me why
Thank you Tracy, at least someone picked up the reference.  But be careful, I think that you understood what I said makes you officially ancient.  I wanna shoot the whole day down. :-*

Now, to get this locked down, let's talk about gun control.  Or not gun control :-X ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2007, 10:44 AM »
I don't like Mondays.

Tell me why

I wanna shoot the whole day down.

And he can see no reasons
'Cause there are no reasons
What reason do you need to die?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2007, 11:19 AM »

Happens every single day man.  This is only being reported because it's the theme of the week.

You know - Anna Nicole Week, Imus Week, The Alberto Gonzales Non-Story, Non-Crime, Non-Controversy Week.

This week - Psychos With Guns!

Next week - ?

Shark Attacks.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2007, 12:00 PM »
Yup closely followed by this new phenomenon that the media has just picked up on called "hurricanes".
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2007, 12:48 PM »
Which relates to...

$4 gas.

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2007, 01:04 PM »
I don't like Mondays.

Tell me why

I wanna shoot the whole day down.

And he can see no reasons
'Cause there are no reasons
What reason do you need to die?

Same guy, different song of indifference:

I don't care if you sink or swim
Lock me out or let me in
Where I'm going or where I've been
I don't mind at all

I don't mind if the government falls
Implements more futile laws
I don't care if the nation stalls
And I don't care at all

Does that make me old too, Brent?  Or just old at heart?

I agree with Brent on so much of this.  When you guys check out The Day After have Netflix send you Red Dawn.  The Day After was a TV mini series, so block out 6-8 hours to take that **** in.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2007, 01:40 PM »
Ahh yes, Red Dawn one of my favorites

Offline blimpyboy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Gamorrean lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2007, 01:42 PM »

So you think it's worse now than it used to be?  Hmm, interesting.  I'll certainly agree that I was unfair to Nathan, but that was probably spurred on by drinking (post sober) and the fact I interviewed 12 of his generational cohort that were so apathetic we're hiring none of them.  "I'm owed...."  "We have to work so hard..."   "It's so much more dangerous..."  No.  No.  And no. 

Hmm - I'd say "no," "no," and "yes."  I still stand by my statement that the world is more dangerous than it was 10 years ago.  Of course I cannot speak for the 60s or even the 70s, and I know **** hit the fan just as badly back then.  Munich, Iran, the Cold War, etc.  But there is something different in the post September 11 world.  Perhaps I feel this way because for the last three years I've been bombarded with weekly reports of the terrorist's next plans, in addition to the regular news reports of 23 more Iraqis gunned down for believing/not believing that Ali is Muhammed's rightful heir.  But also, as an American, this is the first time I can recall in our history when there has been a determined, nongovernmental group sworn to kill us anytime and in any place simply based on our nationality.  That's why I feel the world is more dangerous.  

Ever heard of Vietnam?  How about Eritrea?  Uganda?  Rwanda?  Sorry, just because you're actually paying attention because Americans are getting killed doesn't make it any more dangerous today than it used to be.  Mass murders, terrorist attacks, pointless wars are what history is made of.  Nothing has changed.

You bet I've heard of those things.  But genocides and civil wars have happened for thousands of years, and will continue to happen.  That's not what makes the world more dangerous, as I stated above.  

Well, maybe not quite.  It comes faster, but I'll stick to my guns.  Just because I'm older than dust doesn't mean bad news came by stage coach.  It came that night or the next day, much as the VT information that was accurate did.  All we got immediately was speculation mixed with fact.  The accuracies followed the next day, much as they did when dinosaurs (and me) roamed the earth. 

Can I have understanding for being nonchalant?  Nope, I have no time for apathy regardless of the driving force.  Can I understand how it would depress the hell out of Nathan?  Sure, absolutely.  But here's Nathan's statement that caught my attention:
I have to say it's true. Growing up amid a constant media/Internet barrage of shuttle explosions, terrorist attacks, cult deaths, and school massacres has made me a little dead to all of it. Intellectually, I appreciate that this sort of thing never happened back in the '80s/'70s/'60s'/'50s when you other guys were kids so it's different for you--but for my entire conscious lifetime, that's just how the world has worked.

So I guess I can be entirely numb to, because I grew up under the literal specter of nuclear war.  Go watch the horrid movie The Day After.  It was released in 1983 and it scared the frickin' crap out of just about everyone.  You think Afghanistan and Iraq are depressing?  How about constant media barage about the end of the world?  Just because you're starting to see it now doesn't mean it hasn't happened before. 

I know all about the Cold War.  The really interesting part of it all is that, as a kid in Russia, we never heard anything about the Americans planning a nuclear attack on us.  We never had bomb drills.  We had bomb shelters, but most were leftovers from WWII and would have been useless in a nuclear attack.  And we all know how this story ends - the principle of mutually assured destruction kept us from nuclear war.  The difference between the 60s and today, as I see it, is that in those days, they were reporting on things that *might* happen, whereas today they're reporting on things that *do* happen.  

Helpless is fine, but don't come off as being callous, because that's what Nathan did.  He's assuming us old ***** have never experienced anything and that it's fine to be numb, or that's the impression he left.  That's all and I'm calling him to task on it.  I actually happen to think he's not a bad guy at all.  If I didn't give a ****, I would have kept quiet.

It's not OK to be numb, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't happen to me.  It's happened to me because I couldn't do my job if I got choked up every time I heard about a Mexican policeman being beheaded by a drug gang in Tijuana.  It doesn't make me callous.  It's just human nature.  Do you also call callous the homicide detectives who no longer flinch when they arrive to a crime scene and see a bullet-riddled corpse?  

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2007, 04:50 PM »
The world has always been a dangerous place, but I think we hear about it more now due to faster media coverage, and that bad news gets more ratings these days.

I do think it's more dangerous now because of the threat of some Middle Eastern countries maybe getting nukes at some point, but overall the general population (civilians) hasn't changed too much, at least not in my opinion.

:P

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2007, 06:03 PM »
I don't think the world is any more or less violent than when I was a kid.  The only difference is that now the coverage is almost instant and in HD which is better resolution than real life.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2007, 06:45 PM »
I don't think the world is any more or less violent than when I was a kid.  The only difference is that now the coverage is almost instant and in HD which is better resolution than real life.

When my father was a child, violence was always in black and white on television.  If it was on at all.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2007, 11:50 PM »

When my father was a child, violence was always in black and white on television.  If it was on at all.

Lordy, that cinches it.  I am older than dust.  I grew up in a house that had only a black and white TV until I was about 13 or so.  No cable either.  Of course my parents were rather frugal, but that's a different story altogether.  BTW, is the metaphor really there, or am I imagining it?

But there is something different in the post September 11 world.  Perhaps I feel this way because for the last three years I've been bombarded with weekly reports of the terrorist's next plans, in addition to the regular news reports of 23 more Iraqis gunned down for believing/not believing that Ali is Muhammed's rightful heir.  But also, as an American, this is the first time I can recall in our history when there has been a determined, nongovernmental group sworn to kill us anytime and in any place simply based on our nationality.  That's why I feel the world is more dangerous.  

I'll respectfully disagree again.  I do think the world is different post 9/11, but only because the terrorist organizations finally succeeded rather than tried and failed.  It's not at all unique NOW that there's a determined, nongovernmental group out to get Americans.  And frankly they're not out to get just you guys, they're out to get Western Society, and Canada and Europe fit that mold pretty darn well.  You're just more aware post 9/11.  Jeez, when I was traveling back in the 1980s (y'know, when we had to fly on propeller airplanes) America was largely despised abroad (and it still is).  People couldn't tell Canadians from Americans, but once they found out we weren't from the US, almost invariably we received an apology for assuming we were Americans because we sound similar (think about the difference between New Zealanders and Australians in spoken word).  It's a fact.  Why?  People always hate the "team" in power and since the early to mid part of the last century that's been the US.  Previously it was England.  But as for any difference, it's only because they succeeded.  They busted a group of about 20 radical Muslims in Canada last year that were trying to duplicate Oklahoma on a scale roughly four times as large.  It ain't all about the US.  Naturally Canadians feel we're not part of the target group, but that will change once someone blows up something on our soil. 

And I'm not surprised the terrorists succeeded, given the lax security at airports in the US.  I mean really, Canada didn't even allow people to walk up to the gate without a ticket, then or now.  Our security was better than yours overall with respect to airports and airlines.  That's lame.  But it was an infringement upon people's rights to not greet at the gate and some jackass probably proposed a lawsuit because he couldn't meet his kid at the gate rather than waiting five more minutes outside a secure area.  The disaster is of your own creation in part.  Note I didn't say you deserve it, you and none of those people did.  Period.

You bet I've heard of those things.  But genocides and civil wars have happened for thousands of years, and will continue to happen.  That's not what makes the world more dangerous, as I stated above.  

Actually yes it does, but your perspective is to view only actions directly affecting your country.  There are spillover consequences of those events.  By the way, how exactly is Vietnam in the category of civil war or genocide with respect to the US?  The average age of American combatant in Vietnam was 19 or so and the death rate was higher than Iraq.  You're the one that brought up Iraq/Afghanistan as being relevant to this generation, why isn't Vietnam the same?

I know all about the Cold War.  The really interesting part of it all is that, as a kid in Russia, we never heard anything about the Americans planning a nuclear attack on us.  We never had bomb drills.  We had bomb shelters, but most were leftovers from WWII and would have been useless in a nuclear attack.  And we all know how this story ends - the principle of mutually assured destruction kept us from nuclear war.  The difference between the 60s and today, as I see it, is that in those days, they were reporting on things that *might* happen, whereas today they're reporting on things that *do* happen.  

You might know about it from a historical perspective, but you didn't live through it.  You said you're 25, meaning you were born in 1982/83.  The Berlin Wall came down in '89 when you were maybe 6 and the Iron Curtain fell fully in '91 when you'd be about 8.  Now you may have been a lot more precocious as a child than I was but I'm doubting that you were really that aware of the Cold War as a child.  So I very, very seriously doubt that your age is helping you understand the cold war.  There weren't any bomb drills or bom shelters when I was a kid, but the specter of mass destruction of humanity was very, very palpable and real for those of us living it. 

Oh, and we didn't have the advantage that you do: hindsight.  It was over before you had your first real erection; none of us knew how the story would end or that it would end happily.  Don't kid yourself.  No one living through either World War knew how it would end either, but we all know how those stories end too, don't we?  Might happen is pretty frickin' real when you're living it.  Doesn't the notion of Middle Eastern countries having nuclear capabilities scare you?  It's not in the news on a daily basis.  What if it was?

I think your fear is real and justified, especially because you're far more involved than I'll ever be.  But don't assume that because I've never worked in an intelligence field like you that I'm ignorant of what happens.  Don't assume that you understand what previous generations lived through.  It's the same mistake Nathan made with his statement about things not happening the same in decades previous.  Information is faster now, but it's not that much faster.  The media lives to scare the snot out of us, it's how they get our attention; it's how they get advertisers; it's how they make money.  Always have, always will. 

Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline blimpyboy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Gamorrean lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2007, 01:25 AM »
I'll respectfully disagree again.  I do think the world is different post 9/11, but only because the terrorist organizations finally succeeded rather than tried and failed.  It's not at all unique NOW that there's a determined, nongovernmental group out to get Americans.  And frankly they're not out to get just you guys, they're out to get Western Society, and Canada and Europe fit that mold pretty darn well.  You're just more aware post 9/11.  Jeez, when I was traveling back in the 1980s (y'know, when we had to fly on propeller airplanes) America was largely despised abroad (and it still is).  People couldn't tell Canadians from Americans, but once they found out we weren't from the US, almost invariably we received an apology for assuming we were Americans because we sound similar (think about the difference between New Zealanders and Australians in spoken word).  It's a fact.  Why?  People always hate the "team" in power and since the early to mid part of the last century that's been the US.  Previously it was England.  But as for any difference, it's only because they succeeded.  They busted a group of about 20 radical Muslims in Canada last year that were trying to duplicate Oklahoma on a scale roughly four times as large.  It ain't all about the US.  Naturally Canadians feel we're not part of the target group, but that will change once someone blows up something on our soil.

I can respect that.  I've always been able to avoid being lumped into the category of the "stereotypical American" when traveling overseas because a.) I don't look American, whatever that means, and b.) I'm ethnically not American.  But I do agree that it's the "in" thing right now to bash Americans in most countries for our foreign policy, however I maintain that, particularly the Westerners who do this, are selling us short.  Like you said, the Canadians, British, French, Spanish etc. are just as much in this as we are.  And you're right, the fact that 9/11 was a success for the terrorists has opened many of our eyes when they should have been opened before. 

But events that have followed 9/11 are truly what I believe have made America more dangerous.  The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have pitted Muslims all over the world not only against us, but also against each other.  It's rekindled jihadist movements all over the world - in the Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand, the Middle East, Central Asia - and now, more worrisome, in Europe.  Sure, there was always Chechnya, but only the most dedicated jihadists cared to join the never-ending movement there.  There is no denying that Islamic terrorism has become a far more dedicated, interconnected, and global movement than it's ever been in its history. 

Actually yes it does, but your perspective is to view only actions directly affecting your country.  There are spillover consequences of those events.  By the way, how exactly is Vietnam in the category of civil war or genocide with respect to the US?  The average age of American combatant in Vietnam was 19 or so and the death rate was higher than Iraq.  You're the one that brought up Iraq/Afghanistan as being relevant to this generation, why isn't Vietnam the same?

You're mistaken.  I really try my damndest to look at things from a global perspective.  I've even lived close to 10 of my 25 years outside the United States.  But I'm trying to make the argument that the world has become more dangerous by refuting your assertion that the presence of civil wars is proof the world has always been just as ******.  Perhaps I can't do that, since it's a matter of opinion.  Maybe I'll amend my statement to this: "The world has become more dangerous for Westerners, particularly in the last decade."  Do we agree?

You might know about it from a historical perspective, but you didn't live through it.  You said you're 25, meaning you were born in 1982/83.  The Berlin Wall came down in '89 when you were maybe 6 and the Iron Curtain fell fully in '91 when you'd be about 8.  Now you may have been a lot more precocious as a child than I was but I'm doubting that you were really that aware of the Cold War as a child.  So I very, very seriously doubt that your age is helping you understand the cold war.  There weren't any bomb drills or bom shelters when I was a kid, but the specter of mass destruction of humanity was very, very palpable and real for those of us living it.

To avoid uncertainty, I was born in October 1981 (in Arizona), but moved back to our family's dacha north of Moscow in mid 82.  I may not have lived through the Cold War as you know it, but I certainly was affected by it.  Just as I was getting old enough to realize what was going on in the world, the war in Afghanistan was going poorly (1986 or so), and everyone was wondering why thousands of men weren't coming home, yet the news always reported the latest victory over the mujahiddin and the latest advancement of our forces.  Nobody was allowed to say anything, and they didn't.  I remember waiting in line for hours to get milk, even though our family was privileged by Soviet standards, and I even remember seeing tanks and ICBMs rolling through Red Square on one of our many Victory Day trips to Moscow.  I also remember my dad having to scurry us back to the U.S. in early 1990 because it was obvious things were going nowhere but down.  Remember, the "Cold War" meant something else to Russians.

When our troops finally pulled out of Afghanistan, when our economy was crushed, and when the same political and economic system that we had banked our livelihood on (albeit not by choice) collapsed, it was a moral shock of immeasurable proportions.  Perhaps my age isn't helping me understand the Cold War, but I'd wager just about anything somebody who lived through the collapse of the Soviet Union - young or old - at least has some idea of what being on the losing side of the Cold War was like.  In a word - devastating. 

Oh, and we didn't have the advantage that you do: hindsight.  It was over before you had your first real erection; none of us knew how the story would end or that it would end happily.  Don't kid yourself.  No one living through either World War knew how it would end either, but we all know how those stories end too, don't we?  Might happen is pretty frickin' real when you're living it.  Doesn't the notion of Middle Eastern countries having nuclear capabilities scare you?  It's not in the news on a daily basis.  What if it was?

Fair enough, but this argument started when you called out Nathan for being callous about reported events.  You grew up in the 60s and 70s.  Did you never once tune out all the rhetoric about the possibility of nuclear war because you'd heard it so many times?  Did you never once get complacent? 

For the record, a nuclear armed Middle East scares the **** out of me.  A nuclear Pakistan is bad enough.

I think your fear is real and justified, especially because you're far more involved than I'll ever be.  But don't assume that because I've never worked in an intelligence field like you that I'm ignorant of what happens.  Don't assume that you understand what previous generations lived through.  It's the same mistake Nathan made with his statement about things not happening the same in decades previous.  Information is faster now, but it's not that much faster.  The media lives to scare the snot out of us, it's how they get our attention; it's how they get advertisers; it's how they make money.  Always have, always will. 

I don't assume you're ignorant, however I do have the misfortune of knowing a lot of things about the war on terror that few other people know.  At first it was cool knowing about a plot that was foiled, knowing how it was foiled, knowing who we used to foil it, and how we got them to foil it.  Of course, for the safety of everyone involved, these things are kept secret 99% of the time and no one gets any recognition.  Fine - we all knew that was how it has to be when we signed on.  But one of the first things I was told when I started was this: if the public knew about everything going on, they'd never be able to sleep at night.  I always thought that was the stupidest thing to tell a new recruit.  I believe if the public really knew about every success we had in the war on terror, or the war on drugs, they'd forget that occasionally we're bound to screw up and not be able to connect all the dots in time, and innocent people are going to be killed.  They'd become complacent. 

This is becoming a problem already, more than a half decade after 9/11.  And, morgbug, you can't honestly tell me it's only the young whipper snappers who are bitching at the airport when they have to take their shoes off.