Author Topic: Initial Teaser/Trailer Reactions...  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Initial Teaser/Trailer Reactions...
« on: April 20, 2007, 04:44 PM »
I was just going through on StarWars.com and watching some of the teasers/trailers for the movies, and it got me to thinking - what did you first think when you saw the first trailers for the movies?  I was watching the very first TPM trailer, and it reminded me of that time.  Honestly, I wasn't on the internet much really, and it wasn't a situation where I knew the exact date when the trailer would be released and all of that like we do now.  I knew Star Wars was coming, but didn't know a lot of specifics about it.  I remember seeing another movie with my wife (then fiancee), and seeing that Lucasfilm logo come up.  Although years later, TPM might be lower on my list of favorite Star Wars movie, I can honestly say I was pretty pumped at that point - and that's when I really started getting back into collecting.

For AOTC and ROTS, the same was true.  Each trailer got me more and more excited, and I liked every second of them.  I remember from the AOTC trailer "we decided to come and rescue you" and Obi-Wan's line "Good job", and thinking - that's the Han Solo-type humor we were missing from the PT.  With AOTC, and ROTS, I was online in full force, and knew so much of what was on the way, but I've always enjoyed movie trailers and they were great.  Nothing quite like those first TPM trailers/spots where "Star Wars is coming back" though.

This can also apply to the OT, although I don't really remember the original trailers from back then.  I do remember seeing the Special Edition trailers though for the re-releases, and being quite excited.  I think I might vaguely remember commercials for ROTJ as well, but I was too young at the release of ANH (Star Wars) or TESB.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 04:50 PM by Brian »

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Initial Teaser/Trailer Reactions...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 09:05 PM »
Well I remember TPM trailer and being incredibly psyched for the movie.  I taped it somehow on TV.  It must have been on MTV or somewhere.  I literally wore out the tape viewing it.  of course I was excited for each and every trailer the first time I saw it for each film but not as much as that TPM one.  You know the 15 year layoff helped of course. 

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 09:29 PM »
being star wars is 13 years older then me i didnt know much about it. and heck i got into it by chance really.(parents bought a figure for me and being my 6 year old self said "what is it?") but i do remember the special Ed. commercials. i was so excited because all i had was tv tapped VHS of new hope and ROTJ. i was so excited to be able to watch empire. couple years later TPM came out..funny thing is i never knew about it till christmas when i got a bunch of the action figures and again was all like "what is it? i dont remeber these guys?" only to later open the movie. ( oh and there was a break inbetween in terms of collecting. TPM caught me again. then after AOTC it died out and then came back again when ROTS came out and i felt like watching it for fun because the trailers were just way to cool. little did i know it would again catch me in its trap..one i havent tried to be free of since :p and that is my life story..in a nutshell ;)
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 11:14 PM »
Well, I remember seeing the ESB trailer in 82 or early 1983, and it was insane.  It was just so crazy to see "new" Star Wars, and we had no idea what was going on.  It was all so mysterious back then.  There was no way to watch it over and over, and your imagination tended to fill in all the blanks...the odd thing about this trailer was that it was after the credits.  It was like a bonus for hanging around.  It was also advertised on the poster for that re-relaese of ANH.

Oh, and when I saw the TPM trailer, I practically had tears in my eyes.  After 16 years, it was just overwhelming to finally see something new.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 09:07 AM »
I remember TPM trailer. It went up for download and I downloaded it (over like three hours).

I then remember burning it to a zip tape or something and loading it on my work network... rewatching it over and over... It's what made me into the Maul collector I am now...  ;D

I was less enthused by the AOTC trailer... but ROTS had be from the get !